QFile/QVideo/CodexPack - Removed Support for .mkv files and DTS/AC3 Audio Streams

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QFile/QVideo/CodexPack - Removed Support for .mkv files and DTS/AC3 Audio Streams

Post by dolbyman »

FizzNuts wrote:
dolbyman wrote:If you system is fast enough .. you can still have plex do the transcoding .. or just don't transcode and send the original files out
Pretty lame that we have to resort to this.
I stream tons of media in all sorts of resolutions, got no problems whatsoever.. I just use plain streaming .. no transcoding
vialli
New here

Re: QFile/QVideo/CodexPack - Removed Support for .mkv files and DTS/AC3 Audio Streams

Post by vialli »

dolbyman wrote:
FizzNuts wrote:
dolbyman wrote:If you system is fast enough .. you can still have plex do the transcoding .. or just don't transcode and send the original files out
Pretty lame that we have to resort to this.
I stream tons of media in all sorts of resolutions, got no problems whatsoever.. I just use plain streaming .. no transcoding
The main discussion is on transcoding problem instead of streaming.
djtc1979
New here

Post by djtc1979 »

Hi all I was also send a ticket to them and they give me a answer:
Hello

This codec support was removed due to licence issues with provider. We are negotiating with them.
In meantime, I can only unofficialy recommend to check forums for community package with support of those codecs.
My question was:
Hi Did You plan to fix issue with mkv support. When I was bought this NAS it was very import_ant for me to use it for playing movies and concerts wit high audio and video resolution but now after many updates You just remove this future. It is unacceptable to catch clients for NAS with full media support and later remove it. I was spend a lot of money and now I don;t have what I need. More now to use this future I need to pay for some third party software. Twonkey no longer supported, Qvideo and Qfile and Qmusic don't work with DTS and AC3 most popular codec's for audio with mkv container.
I am expecting that You will fix this. Is there any support for android apps like Qvideo because i thing it was stack in one place and no updates no new functions. It shouldn't look like this.

If it will be like this I would like to give this NAS Back.
I was bought media center storage with media support I have no plans for use it for AVI XVID files.

Best regards.
And I would like to get info when thy will solve this problem because this is nothing for me what they send me back. Any date of solution And I am realy thinking about sold my NAS. Give almost 500 Euro and now they just decide to negotiate how to extend and they didn's answer about mkv container they write only about DTS and AC3. If they don't support this it is very bad move than they shouldn't sold this NAS as multimedia machines. Because they can not play most popular formats. JOKE LIKE A HE.L.
I don't want to use third party software.
MODEL TS-453A
ALL THE BEST FOR ALL FORUM USERS.
FizzNuts
Getting the hang of things

Post by FizzNuts »

Heard rumor that the next QTS upgrade will add support, or at least support a new version of the Codexpack.
Jesse

Model: TS-453A 16GB FW: 4.3.3.0404 Build: 20171213
Disks: [RAID-5] 4 x 3TB HGST DeskStar NAS
Media Boxes: XBOX One, Yamaha Aventage Receiver
ichalos
Starting out

Post by ichalos »

Hope they do it correctly this time. It has been some time now without a proper firmware upgrade.
Latest beta (04 Jan 17) contained no sign of proper support for mkv and AC3.
djtc1979
New here

Post by djtc1979 »

Because they lost licence for mkv ac3 and DTS and now they need to negotiate new rules and prices for sure. But it should be done before end date not that they leave all users with nothing.
MODEL TS-453A
ALL THE BEST FOR ALL FORUM USERS.
Gorku
First post

Post by Gorku »

The new version 4.3.3 destroyed the possibility to use the CodexPack 4.2.3 so right now no audio in the NAS..
ITEngineer
Easy as a breeze

Post by ITEngineer »

Gorku wrote:The new version 4.3.3 destroyed the possibility to use the CodexPack 4.2.3 so right now no audio in the NAS..
So how do we know if the audio problem has been resolved ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
--
Regards,

IT Engineer
juanca2000
Starting out

Post by juanca2000 »

any other codexpack like 4.2.7D ? or another pack that the community is working on?

Thanks.
kevnapq
Starting out

Post by kevnapq »

I too have tried the latest qts 4.3.3 and have like others found that the codex pack that ran successfully on qts 4.2 is no longer supported and therefore have lost the ability to use the transcode function either off or on line apart from a small number of formats which I don't really need to decode anyway...not very helpful.
May have to roll back to 4.2 which in itself isn't the best solution.
I could use 3rd party software to transcode on my pc but then this makes the transcode feature of the NAS is useless.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

or use PLEX (I guess you do not have the TS-212 anymore from your profile)
kevnapq
Starting out

Post by kevnapq »

No have the TS 253 Pro now.
I have found that Handbrake (free) handles transcoding better than the original working QNAP transcoder especially on audio but that doesn't help with on the fly transcoding of course.
Mind you I don't think I have used that feature very much, maybe once when abroad.
Will have a look at Plex.
Thanks
FizzNuts
Getting the hang of things

Post by FizzNuts »

This pretty much **, thanks a lot QNAP for completely crippling this functionality we all paid good money for.
Jesse

Model: TS-453A 16GB FW: 4.3.3.0404 Build: 20171213
Disks: [RAID-5] 4 x 3TB HGST DeskStar NAS
Media Boxes: XBOX One, Yamaha Aventage Receiver
teoreds
New here

Post by teoreds »

I opened a ticket to QNAP Help Desk and this is the answer

"there is no way to get AC3 to work on the NAS since this has been removed from all firmware due to licensing issue
it is expecting that this will be solved in the future and that this functionallity will be restored but not at this moment"

looks like they are receiving a lot of complaints...
Rhialto
Easy as a breeze

Post by Rhialto »

teoreds wrote:I opened a ticket to QNAP Help Desk and this is the answer

"there is no way to get AC3 to work on the NAS since this has been removed from all firmware due to licensing issue
it is expecting that this will be solved in the future and that this functionallity will be restored but not at this moment"

looks like they are receiving a lot of complaints...
Reply to ticket with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_Digital#License :wink:
Entered the NAS world with a TS-251+ in December 2016. As of December 2020, disks are now used in a TS-253D. :geek:

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”