File station

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
spile
Been there, done that

File station

Post by spile »

Why is "File Station" (FS) not listed in the title of this forum board?
Main question from me:
Am I wrong in assuming that the recommended way to transfer large amounts of data is by using the File Station app accessed through the web interface?
I have a very large number of folders (nearly a terrabyte) containing my music in FLAC format that I wish to transfer from a Windows Home Server to my new TS-251+
I assumed that rather than transferring the files via a client PC, this would be better done as a background task so tried using File station.

1 I created a subfolder in Multimedia called Music and used the upload facility in FS, I browsed to the old server and found the Music folder which I opened.
I then tried to select a group of folders - ISSUE 1 - FILE STATION DOES NOT ALLOW YOU TO SELECT A GROUP OF FOLDERS! so method 1 is not going to work.

2 I then navigated to the root of my NAS and used the file upload from there. After a couple of minutes I got a warning to say that there were a lot of files and it had indexed a few thousand. Did I want to copy just those or use a lot of resources to find the rest of the files? ISSUE 2 Well no point in just attempting to upload the first few files unless I was able to work out what they were and I was worried that some folders might be incomplete. I decided to cancel.

File station seems rather basic (eg not being able to select multiple folders) but as the default method presented seems to suggest it is what I need. I'd recommend suggestions and thoughts?

I hope the answer is not going to be to use my client PC to transfer the files as i was hoping the NAS itself could do this pretty basic task.
I may of course be going about this all wrong!
mtz_ro_2003
Know my way around

Re: File station

Post by mtz_ro_2003 »

If you want to copy some folders from a Windows Home Server you can mount the respective share in File Station.
Then you can select multiple folders and just copy/paste or drag'n'drop...

RTFM...
QNAP Turbo NAS User Manual - FileStation
1.png
2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Model: TS-453 Pro 16GB - HyperX Impact, 16GB, DDR3, 1866MHz, CL11, 1.35v, Dual Channel Kit
Firmware: 4.2.1 build 20160601
Disks: 4 x 4TB WD Red (WD40EFRX) RAID5
spile
Been there, done that

Post by spile »

Thanks for the reply. I was unable to mount the WHS share using the method above. It may have been operator error is simply that my old server was on its last legs. I eventually used a backup from the server from an external USB drive to transfer the files to the NAS.
akebono1
New here

Post by akebono1 »

File Station is not the way to go. At 10,000 files FS crashes due to a bug. Logging in again shows that file transfers never start.
Use the following:
ethernet: Network drive shares
ethernet: open up command line/terminal and copy files - basement-level linus-fu
sneakernet: usb style - be sure to "point and shout 'Oppan Gangnam Style'" as you dance your way between machines
[edited to include off-beat, off-color humor]
laserfocus
New here

Post by laserfocus »

Four months later and File Station is STILL not the way to go because at 10,000 files FS STILL crashes due to a bug. Logging in again shows that file transfers never start. This bug wasted huge amounts of our time. When will this be fixed?

Also, we are also afflicted by the appearing and re-appearing network drive shares. Currently they are not working. When will this be fixed?

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”