onscreen error!

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
MikeHB
New here

onscreen error!

Post by MikeHB »

Hi my 1st post please be gentle with me.

On opening the HDMI screen thru my Marantz 1605 there is now a top left box that says "Openbox Syntax Error" and its driving me mad. Also during any playback of a video file a log display appears under the syntax error box.

Can anyone please tell me how to turn this log off and help with the error message.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: onscreen error!

Post by dolbyman »

what qnap device snd what firmware?
MikeHB
New here

Post by MikeHB »

TS 251+
v 4.3.3.0188
24Seven
New here

Post by 24Seven »

I have the same message on my tv screen in HD Statuon. I have a TS-451 4.3.3 Build 20170516.
Openbox Syntax error
One or more XML syntax errors were found while parsing the openbox
configuration files ee stdout for more information The last error seen was in file
"/root/ config/openbox/rc xml" line 38, with message: Extra content at the end of
the document.
krazye
New here

Post by krazye »

I have the same issue, I have a TS-453A 4.3.3.0188 Build 20170516. It is extremely annoying.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cwaite500
First post

Post by cwaite500 »

Has anyone found a solution for this yet?
ensignvorik
Easy as a breeze

Post by ensignvorik »

NOt helpful, but the first screenshot in the OP looks more like KODI debugging has been enabled, rather than an error message.
Unless I'm being blind, I can't find the setting to change what kind of QNAP I have on my profile. I now own a TS-253A
24Seven
New here

Post by 24Seven »

My problem is solved after an update of the firmware to 4.3.3.0210. Hope this works for you too.
kevk74
New here

Post by kevk74 »

24Seven wrote:I have the same message on my tv screen in HD Statuon. I have a TS-451 4.3.3 Build 20170516.
Openbox Syntax error
One or more XML syntax errors were found while parsing the openbox
configuration files ee stdout for more information The last error seen was in file
"/root/ config/openbox/rc xml" line 38, with message: Extra content at the end of
the document.
I have the identical message on my TS-451 EXCEPT I hesitantly stayed on 32bit QTS 4.2.5 fearing remote access to PLEX server when I was heading off on vacation very shortly after. I run a Yamaha RX-575 receiver with HDMI 4K pass thru but no HDCP 2.2 compliance if that information is at all pertinent. I also upgraded to a single 4GB crucial RAM stick before even setting my NAS up. I admit I've yet to search high and low but logging out and loading going back in HD station gave me the same error only it now appeared TWICE, first towards middle of screen and then in it's same place in upper left corner of my TV screen (1080p 120HZ Sony Bravia which has "widgets" for Netflix etc but technically before the actual "smart tv" naming!
MtnMike
New here

Post by MtnMike »

I had this identical problem and (believe) I have found a resolution...for my case, anyway. I can't say this will work for everyone, but so far the fix below has fixed my system and that of my brother (identical system).

I'm running a TVS-873, Firmware 4.3.3.0299, HDStation v3.1.5

Using SSH, connect to your NAS and navigate your way to: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/HD_Station/root/.config/openbox/

Look for a file called rc.xml and display it (command = 'more rc.xml'), it'll probably look something like the code in the first code box below. In my case, the rc.xml file was malformed, see the last three lines sepcifically. Notice the tags are messed up:

Code: Select all

<openbox_config>
  <focus>
    <focusNew>yes</focusNew>
  </focus>
  <desktops>
    <number>1</number>
  </desktops>
  <resize>
    <drawContents>yes</drawContents>
  </resize>
  <theme>
    <name>Clearlooks</name>
    <!-- <titleLayout>NLIMC</titleLayout> -->
    <!-- <titleLayout>NLC</titleLayout> -->
    <titleLayout>NLC</titleLayout>
    <font place="ActiveWindow">
      <size>15</size>
    </font>
  </theme>
  <applications>
    <application type="normal">
      <position force="no">
        <x>0</x>
        <y>0</y>
      </position>
      <maximized>yes</maximized>
    </application>
  </applications>
</openbox_config>
op>21</top>
  </margins>
</openbox_config>
There is no "<margins>" initiation tag, the "<top>" tag is just plain messed up, and there's one too many "</openbox_config>" termination tags. This, I believe, is where the problem is. The parser gets to the "</openbox_config>" tag, knows that it should stop at this point, but then finds three more lines of garbage, which causes the parser to error out and OpenBox throws the error box we've been seeing, because, indeed, there is "extra content at the end of the document."

Using the editing method of your choice (I use vi right in the SSH window), edit the rc.xml file and remove those damaged three lines. The new rc.xml file will look like this:

<openbox_config>
  <focus>
    <focusNew>yes</focusNew>
  </focus>
  <desktops>
    <number>1</number>
  </desktops>
  <resize>
  </resize>
  <theme>
    <name>Clearlooks</name>
      <size>15</size>
    </font>
  </theme>
  <applications>
      <position force="no">
        <x>0</x>
        <y>0</y>
      </position>
    </application>
  </applications>
</openbox_config>
Using your regular 'ol browser-based QTS desktop, restart HDStation. After it restarts, display the rc.xml file again (more rc.xml). It'll probably look something like:

<openbox_config>
  <focus>
    <focusNew>yes</focusNew>
  </focus>
  <desktops>
    <number>1</number>
  </desktops>
  <resize>
  </resize>
  <theme>
    <name>Clearlooks</name>
      <size>15</size>
    </font>
  </theme>
  <applications>
      <position force="no">
        <x>0</x>
        <y>0</y>
      </position>
    </application>
  </applications>
  <margins>
    <top>21</top>
    <left>38</left>
    <bottom>21</bottom>
    <right>38</right>
  </margins>
</openbox_config>
Looks better, right?

Go look at the display/TV connected to your HDMI output and see if the error box has disappeared. Mine did, and even after multiple HDStation restarts and a full system reboot, the rc.xml file has not been corrupted. And, more importantly, the error box hasn't returned.

Post back if this worked for you...curious if this solution works for more than just me.

Good luck!

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”