TS-451A HD Station only Stereo Output instead of 5.1

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
Andrikos
Starting out

TS-451A HD Station only Stereo Output instead of 5.1

Post by Andrikos »

Hey guys

I have a Problem with my TS-451A regarding 5.1 Output in the HD Station. If I connect the QNAP to my A/V via HDMI, I only get Stereo Output instead of Dolby Digital 5.1.

I have Plex Home Theater on my Hybrid Desktop Station and only produces "Stereo" Output regarding to my A/V. I configured Plex for 5.1, according to the Output Settings.

If I connect my PS4 also via HDMI to my A/V System and play the same movies I did before, I get normal Dolby 5.1 Output.

Do I need to perform any Special Configuration on the QNAP itself?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks
smhealey
Starting out

Re: TS-451A HD Station only Stereo Output instead of 5.1

Post by smhealey »

I had similar issue using HybridDesktop Station. I switched to Linux station instead and discovered it was problem with Pulseaudio and had to do the following steps.

Qnap TS-453A/Linux Station 16.04

Problem: Pulseaudio only provides 2.0 or 2.1 PCM output to Audio Video Receiver and unable to enable passthrough audio in Kodi or VLC Media Player allowing DTS DD PCM

Fix: Prevent Pulseaudio from reloading after killing it and reload ALSA audio allowing to select proper HDMI device and enable passthrough audio in Kodi settings and VLC Media Player to send DTS 5.1, DD 5.1 or PCM 5.1 sound to Audio Video Receiver

Open terminal

## Change client.conf
sudo nano /etc/pulse/client.conf
## Change "; autospawn = yes" to "autospawn = no"

## Copy client.conf to ~/.config/pulse/
sudo cp /etc/pulse/client.conf ~/.config/pulse

## (optional) If Audio is a little bit crackling change default.pa
sudo /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/ubuntu-hd/lxc/ubuntu_1604/pulse/pulse.common/default.pa
## Change "load-module module-udev-detect" to "load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0"

## Stop Pulseaudio
pulseaudio --kill

## reload ALSA
sudo alsa force-reload
kalantan
Starting out

Post by kalantan »

I have the same issue using Plex Media Server. Do you know if the above procedure help with Plex too? Or, do I have to move to Kodi...? Thanks!
~ kalantan ~
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Plex Home Theater is VERY old, update to PMP or OpenPHT. Default for both of them is Stereo output, and you have to make changes in the GUI's to let them know your receiver supports more channels.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”