No HDMI audio at AV amp

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
brom_
First post

No HDMI audio at AV amp

Post by brom_ »

Hi all,

I've got a sad problem with my HS-251+:

I've connected my NAS via HDMI to a AV-Amp (Kenwood RA-5000), which has no Display/TV connected to it's output (as I have not enough space for a TV at the moment) - I just want to use Music Station to play Music on the amp, without HD Station and stuff, but unfortunately it doesn't work. Music Station shows the HDMI output just fine and "pretends" to be playing, but the amp is not giving the slightest noise...

For testing reasons I've attached my PC display to the HDMI out of the amp, and then everything worked, but after removing the display, I don't get audio any more... :(

Can anyone advise how to convince the NAS to play audio to the amp, even when there is nothing to display?

Thanks in advance & kind regards
brom
oyvindo
Experience counts

Re: No HDMI audio at AV amp

Post by oyvindo »

The CEC protocol implemented on both AMPs as well as as in your NAS is the reason why you don't get sound. It tries to be "smart" and makes decisions for you when it feels like it.
This problem has been discussed up'n'down, back'n'forth and in'n'out in several threads in this forum. People tend to conclude the the CEC causes more problems than it solves.
There are ways to solve this. Dr. HDMI is a dongle that you can connect and configure it to simulate the presence of a TV. Also there are cheap HDMI dummy plugs on the market that can do the trick.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”