HEIC support in Photo Station /QPhoto

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
antik
Know my way around

Re: HEIC support in Photo Station /QPhoto

Post by antik »

Not native solution and I'm not sure about Photo Station support, but here I found some information about HEIC support thanks to CAYIN (File Station,,QuMagie) :arrow:
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... installed/
TVS-h1288X-W1250-128G (850W) + T3 card + QXG-10G1T + GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super Gaming OC 16G (Silent FW) + 2x 2TB M.2 NVMe Kingston KC3000 (RAID0 - apps, Qsync, VM's) + 12x 2,5“ 3,84TB SATA SSD Kingston DC600M (RAID5 - VM's, data).

TVS-1282T3-i7-48G (450W) + QXG-10G1T + PALiT GeForce GTX 1660 Super GP OC + 2x 1TB M.2 NVMe ADATA SX8200PNP (RAID0 - apps) + 4x 2,5“ 3,84TB SATA SSD Samsung PM883 (RAID5 - data backup) + 8x 8TB Seagate IronWolf Pro (RAID6 - data backup).
TS-677-16GB + 1x 256GB SSD Samsung EVO (apps) + 3x 8TB Seagate Exos (RAID0 - QVR Pro cameras recording)
Network stuff (priority use of 10GbE): QHora-301W, QSW-804-4C, ASUS XG-U2008 and TP-Link TL-SG1008MP. Protected by 2x APC CYBERFORT II 700VA.
focher
Starting out

Post by focher »

I doubt QNAP will ever implement native support. It appears they want to steer everyone to purchasing CAYIN.
Theliel
Know my way around

Post by Theliel »

focher wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:12 am I doubt QNAP will ever implement native support. It appears they want to steer everyone to purchasing CAYIN.
It is not about making cash. HEVC / HEIF are heavily patented, if QNAP included it, it would have to make huge outlays in royalties. The exact same thing happens with audio playback in AC3.

And the truth is that today it would not make sense, being able to turn towards real and persistent solutions over time, like AV1. The adoption of HEVC / HEIF is still minimal today, if we take into account that the standard was ready in 2014 with hardware support in many devices, and they have been surpassed by far by AV1, which is much more efficient and royalty-free. In a matter of a year or two at the most, hardware support will be widespread, and any device will be able to move 4K in AV1 without blinking

The MPEG will soon even have H266 ready to replace its H265 (HEVC), but the same thing will happen, with the difference that when H266 will be ready (and we will have to wait another year or two until we have Hardware decoding, and of course again pay heavy Royalties), AV1 will already be on the market with widespread hardware support and in very good shape. We also find that AV1 was founded by heavyweights: Amazon, Cisco, Google, Intel, Microsoft, Netflix ... and today many other greats are behind, such as nVidia, AMD, Apple, Adobe ...

It's only a matter of time before H26X is history ... and royalty-free, good for almost all, except MPEG Group, of course
supergoatie
New here

Post by supergoatie »

Hi everyone,
I had the same issue, I’ve uploaded all my phone photos in the iPhone native format HEIC so I have them in their original format.

Purchasing CAYIN sorted it out for me. The iPhone QPhoto app doesn’t support it, but the new QuMagie app does. After a few days of generating thumbnails, I can now browse all my photos and videos via the iPhone app.

Most people will probably keep the default setting and have their iPhone translate their photos to jpeg when transferring them to their nas, so I can see why QNAP hasn’t spent, what would be a sizeable amount, to license HEIC for everyone.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of CAYIN, as it was quite frustrating, and a touch scary initially not seeing any of my photos!

Cheers
Steve
arthurdent123
New here

Post by arthurdent123 »

Are your HEIC files coming out the right way up in QuMagie ? Mine arent ! I paid for Cayin

I have portraits on their sides, and landscapes upside down and all sorts as if Cayin is not using the meta data correctly

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”