Copy the photos but not the thumbnails?

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
mrpigoil
New here

Copy the photos but not the thumbnails?

Post by mrpigoil »

I've read that the Media Library along with Photos/Video Station is creating hidden thumbnails in each folder of where the media resides. How do I copy the photos to an external HDD (the whole folder structure; all photos) but not copy the hidden thumbnails?

I plan to migrate from QNAP Photo Station to Mac OS X High Sierra Photos to manage my photo collection. Looking for a clean source instead of all the junk files that QNAP may have automatically added to the folders.

Thanks!
TS-451
TS-212P
johnson407
Easy as a breeze

Re: Copy the photos but not the thumbnails?

Post by johnson407 »

just copy them as mounted network drive, then what you see is what you copy.
mrpigoil
New here

Post by mrpigoil »

OK, so just mount in Mac OS X via AFP (or SMB) and copy over the network using OS X Finder, then the hidden thumbnails won't be copied over? Awesome, thank you.

Question on alternative - how about copying directly to the external HDD via USB 3 port on the NAS using File Station? Would hidden thumbnails be copied? I'm thinking this would be faster than the LAN (even though it's okay through network because I just just let it run for a few hours).
TS-451
TS-212P
johnson407
Easy as a breeze

Post by johnson407 »

not sure about external hdd, but I am sure if you move files with file station within NAS, the thumbnails will be moved as well
2Bdecided
New here

Post by 2Bdecided »

I know this is an old thread, but is there any solution to the final question asked? I want to plug a HDD directly into the NAS USB 3 port, and copy the files I originally put onto the NAS over to the external HDD, but without copying several extra sets of thumbnails that were auto generated by the NAS?

Cheers,
David.

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”