Dolby Atmos over HDMI TS-451

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
napper1237
Starting out

Dolby Atmos over HDMI TS-451

Post by napper1237 »

Hi all

I have a Yamaha RX-V583 AVR and QNAP TS-451, am wondering whether it's possible to get Atmos sound when playing files using the NAS HDMI out?

Is anyone doing this successfully or can the HDMI (which I believe is 1.4a) not carry the extra data for Atmos? (currently I'm not getting any Atmos sound using the Dolby test files but am needing to eliminate different elements of my setup to figure out why)

If it's NOT a hardware issue is it an issue with which player I'm using? (Plex currently but could use KODI in HD station)

My other option is DLNA via an android box (HiMedia H8)...

Thanks in advance!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Dolby Atmos over HDMI TS-451

Post by dolbyman »

I play atmos fine via twonky dlna (true hd variant)

there is a couple of threads in here..best to search
napper1237
Starting out

Post by napper1237 »

ok that's great thanks. I spent a few hours on it last night (UK).
I'll make sure I've got the right Twonky version running for a start! It should all be up to date but if it's a branched version then I won't have it.

Other than that it's reset and flash the Android box to make sure it's definitely current.

Over HDMI I managed to play and passthrough a DD mix with the receiver showing that as a signal (Yamaha RX-V583), using the QNAP HDPlayer only. The rest of the time the amp was just showing PCM 2.0...but did show my speaker config lit up correctly on the front panel. Can't say the Amaze test track was that amazing though!

I've read hundreds of posts already trying to get to the bottom of it and tried many things. I would ideally like to be able to play everything direct from the NAS via HDMI. Can anyone confirm whether they can pass Atmos channels over that 1.4a HDMI out?
- Software:
Plex Media Server
PMP 1.3.5 on the NAS - AUdio config is:
- Device Type - HDMI
- Channels - 7.1 (most possible)
- Device - Auto-select device
Passthrough options - I've tried with them on and off - get the same result at the amp

What I've not tried yet:
I'll be trying various Dolby test files tonight to see whether it IS an HDMI 1.4a issue (ie if it's only passing 5.1) and see if the AV receiver shows a correct input signal

DLNA:
Himedia H8 (System 'Playback' option set to HDMI)/ running SPMC or Plex:
SPMC settings: Tried with both local decoding and passthrough enabled - I would have hoped to see the amp change from PCM to ..,.other multichannel depending on the file playing - it didn't)

Yamaha RX-V583 setup:
Speaker settings: Presence, 5.1.2, checked all and set distance and levels, crossover at 160Hz
Amp settings: Tried in both DSurr and Straight modes, both of which sound fantastic but not showing the input signal as anything other than PCM 2.0

Excuse the long post. I'll go back to trawling through the archives here too!

Thanks again

W
fbauta2
Starting out

Post by fbauta2 »

My English is not very good, I'll try to give you my experience.
I have plex server last version in qnap 251+, with OPENPHT 1.8.0, HD STATION 3.1.A, CODEXPACK 4.3.0.1,
And for direct HDMI of the nas, I get DOLBY ATMOS, in my receiver YAMAHA RX-V681, passthrough enabled, but I only do it by putting the output in 5.1 channels, if I select in the OPENPHT configuration, 7.1 channels, I lose the output dolby atmos. with this configuration my receiver marks the input and output signal dolby atmos and the sound is incredible, with movies and dolby atmos demo files.
If you have more doubts, we are here to help you.
napper1237
Starting out

Post by napper1237 »

Hi fbauta2

Thanks for this. You say " passthrough enabled, but I only do it by putting the output in 5.1 channels, if I select in the OPENPHT configuration, 7.1 channels, I lose the output dolby atmos. with this configuration my receiver marks the input and output signal dolby atmos "

In which configuration do you lose the ATMOS please?

Also how do I use OpenPHT with the QNAP? What's it's purpose? (sorry am still learning)

Thanks
napper1237
Starting out

Post by napper1237 »

Sorry....reading about OpenPHT, I get it. Which version should I install from GITHUB please?
napper1237
Starting out

Post by napper1237 »

Also...when you are set to 5.1 and the amp detects ATMOS, are you actually getting the full 5.1.2?
napper1237
Starting out

SOLVED Re: Dolby Atmos over HDMI TS-451

Post by napper1237 »

Sorted!

Thanks all. Open PHT and setting yam receiver HDMI audio out to off.

Full ATMOS baby!!! Picture and sound are perfect straight from the NAS.

Superb.

Xxx

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”