Unable to acces music on QNAP NAS with Sonos system.

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
Kaigeprod
New here

Unable to acces music on QNAP NAS with Sonos system.

Post by Kaigeprod »

Dear all,

I am trying to add my music library to my sonos system and it is driving me nuts...
I tried everything i could find on this forum but i cant seem to manage it.
My NAS is connected with a LAN cable and is perfectly accesable from all other devices.
I have duplicated my music library on 3 folders to try different things:
1. Public folder
2. New folder called music, no password added. (guest acces R/w on)
3. Multimedia folder with the application music server installed.
On the SONOS app i go to preferences and add the folder on music Libr like this:
//192.(ipadres)/Multimedia
//192.(ipadres)/music
//192.(ipadres)/Public/music
I get an error message: Sonos cant add the folder, device refuses acces.

I have spend a couple of days pulling my hair out, cant get it to work, please help!
Trexx
Ask me anything

Re: Unable to acces music on QNAP NAS with Sonos system.

Post by Trexx »

What protocols does sonos support for remote access?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Trexx wrote:What protocols does sonos support for remote access?
CIFS/SMB.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Kaigeprod wrote:New folder called music, no password added. (guest acces R/w on)
Guest access R/W is a security liability and should never be used at all.

With Sonos as with all other clients you should use a proper username/password to logon. The Sonos configuration prompts for that in the second step after supplying the UNC-name (\\ip_address\Shared_folder). What did you enter for username/password there?
I get an error message: Sonos cant add the folder, device refuses acces.
Go check the System Connection logs on the Qnap (enable logging for SMB (Windows) first if not enabled) to get a clue on why Sonos isn't allowed to connect.

Likely issues:
  • Incorrect username/password.
  • Having deployed a Security level whitelist and not added all Sonos devices.
Best practice would be to have a separate user named sonos (or something similar) with a complicated password and that only have access to the sound files.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Kaigeprod
New here

Post by Kaigeprod »

i created a new user called sonos and tested it again. still no succes, i looked at the log file. it did not make a log of the error connection so i tried to connect with qfinder pro and it did connect. i checked the security level, everything was fine here.
Finally i checked if the SMB was enabled. This was the problem, it was disabled. Sonos is now connected to the NAS!

Thanks guys!
@P3R i have another issue that you can find here: viewtopic.php?f=185&t=137716&p=648594#p648594
Any idea what this could be?
depomnica
New here

Post by depomnica »

I have the same issue ! SONOS is not able to connect to the NAS multimedia folder.
How do you check if SMB is enabled ? on the NAS ? on the computer ?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

twonky(DLNA) has a sonos mode .. maybe try the free trail (14days) and keep it if it works (20 bucks for a lifetime license)
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

depomnica wrote:How do you check if SMB is enabled ? on the NAS ? on the computer ?
On the NAS but incorrect user credentials or access rights to the media are probably more likely issues for most users.

What Qnap model do you have?
What QTS firmware version and build is used?
What path are you adding to the music library settings in Sonos?
What username are you using in the Sonos?
Does the above username have access rights to the music files?
What type of music files do you have?

EricBuist
Starting out

Post by EricBuist »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:30 am twonky(DLNA) has a sonos mode .. maybe try the free trail (14days) and keep it if it works (20 bucks for a lifetime license)
Argh! Again, again, again a trial. Why do we need to pay to get Sonos to work with QNAP NAS? I'm so ** off, so annoyed, this is a really serious non-sense. Yes, we can say it's not important, it's not a big deal, but thinking this way, nothing is important and then nothing makes sense anymore! I thought QTS was a kind of battery-included solution. You should not have to purchase additional software to make things work. Otherwise, just better off putting drives in a regular Linux PC and install needed software tools, and there are more free/open source software on Linux than on any proprietary platform.
I cannot find any way to add a SMB/CIFS share on the Sonos app, and even if I find it, typing UNC, user names and passwords with a phone is a real pain.
dwight1379
Starting out

Post by dwight1379 »

EricBuist wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:50 pm
dolbyman wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:30 am twonky(DLNA) has a sonos mode .. maybe try the free trail (14days) and keep it if it works (20 bucks for a lifetime license)
Argh! Again, again, again a trial. Why do we need to pay to get Sonos to work with QNAP NAS? I'm so ** off, so annoyed, this is a really serious non-sense. Yes, we can say it's not important, it's not a big deal, but thinking this way, nothing is important and then nothing makes sense anymore! I thought QTS was a kind of battery-included solution. You should not have to purchase additional software to make things work. Otherwise, just better off putting drives in a regular Linux PC and install needed software tools, and there are more free/open source software on Linux than on any proprietary platform.
I cannot find any way to add a SMB/CIFS share on the Sonos app, and even if I find it, typing UNC, user names and passwords with a phone is a real pain.
Eric it's on the NAS in settings not Sonos.
Happy Owner of a TS-H973AX :)
4 off 4TB WD red spinners,
2 off 2TB WD Red SSD,
Cache 2 off WD 1TB Black U.2.;) Where there's a will there's a way!
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

EricBuist wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:50 pm Why do we need to pay to get Sonos to work with QNAP NAS?
You don't need to pay anything extra. The Twonky suggestion isn't required, it's a possible workaround if you can't get it to work the normal way.

I don't use Twonky and Sonos play my music from the Qnap with plain Microsoft networking all day long. You need to have Microsoft networking enabled in the Qnap and you need to allow SMB version 1 logins in the Qnap due to Sonos being an older client implementation.

In the Qnap admin interface, click Control Panel, Network & File Services, Win/Mac/NFS and make sure that Enable file service for Microsoft networking is enabled. Then click the Advanced Options button and make sure that SMB 1 is selected in the dropdown menu for Lowest SMB version. Close the Advanced Options popup window by clicking the Apply button and then click the Apply button again. I think this should all be configured this way by default, at least it was on a new Qnap I recently installed.
Neither of those are Qnap-issues.

I agree that writing long passwords on a phone is painful though so I add my shared folders using the Sonos app in a Windows computer because I find it easier. There I can copy paste in the UNC-name and long and complicated password, not having to type it for each shared folder I want to add to the Sonos.

I recommend that you create a dedicated user account on the Qnap for Sonos access that you only give access rights to your music but can be prevented to reach other things in the NAS. This will make it easy to differentiate the logins and improve security.

UKgnome
New here

Post by UKgnome »

Be-aware that SMB1 is a security risk and it is being recommended that it is nor used.

Unfortunately, Sonos only seems to use SMB1 so if Qnap ever remove SMB1 the sonos will probably not work, but that is a Sonos not updating their stuff problem..

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”