Remote control not working in HD Station

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
djphat2000
Starting out

Re: Remote control not working in HD Station

Post by djphat2000 »

So my plan going forward is to use my Nvidia Shield for Kodi. I basically turned off everything in HD Station (including HD Station). I had my NIC's teamed and went back to just 1 and 2 is my fail over. EVERYTHING is faster now, and I can stream to my Shield perfectly. It was VERY slow before when I originally set this up. I guess the NIC teaming feature is either not great or my switch (Netgear) isn't really great at link aggregation. It is setup for it but, guess it just doesn't really work well.
In any event, I needed a 4K version of this anyway. And I didn't want to purchase another one of these for H.265 support. I'll keep looking at this for hope in maybe it gets fixed. It was a great run with how it worked perfectly for this purpose. A clean small HDMI + IR NAS with KODI support (now long not supported of course).
izifsound
Starting out

Still DRE ... Still Problem

Post by izifsound »

Hi folks...

A few days ago Qnap release the Hybrid Desk Station 3.2.5. No information about the changelog and no publications on their websites (French Taiwan...)

After this update everything seems to be fine but like before the IR remote Controler stop working after few days...

Please QNAP can you give us an answer? Will you upgrade my Qnap NAS to another model?

When i pay for some functionnalities i would like that EVERY functionnalities worked....
jrdee
Starting out

Post by jrdee »

I, like many others, have had this remote stops working at some intermittent time problem. I have found sometimes restarting HD Station will allow remote to work, other times must restart Qnap (TS-453A). I have also found on some (perhaps most) times having to restart Qnap (when remote stops working) sees Qnap shutting everything down but not actually restart (have to hold power button down for 4 seconds or so).

Started a long time ago after a particular firmware update - and reported to Qnap back then, Qnap sent me a test firmware and worked successfully for AGES!!!! Didn't install release firmware as they were coming through and about a month ago Qnap emailed me requested to install latest firmware. But again, back to remote stops working after a period of time (no pattern). Qnap now believe it's a hardware fault and asked me asked me to complete some paperwork so they can send me another device, requesting me to send mine back.

grrrrr.... the effort involved in all this when I can't see how it's hardware when a test release fixed!
sunnyl
Starting out

Post by sunnyl »

I noticed the issue came back the last two weeks or so after I did a firmware update :(

The next time I find a firmware release where the remote isn't broken - I'm staying there!!
jrdee
Starting out

Post by jrdee »

Topic seems to have gone quiet. Is it only me still having same issue? (I'm on latest firmware, always in hope of this issues found and fixed)
sunnyl
Starting out

Post by sunnyl »

Nope I'm still this issue as well. I'm on the most recent (4.3.5.0722 build 20181007) version and the issue is there. I just can't see how the remote not working hasn't been picked up as being more of an issue.

Probably considering getting one of those cheap controllers off eBay and see how it goes compared to the IR controller. I've had a wireless USB mouse connected and its survived so far.
jrdee
Starting out

Post by jrdee »

sunnyl wrote:Nope I'm still this issue as well. I'm on the most recent (4.3.5.0722 build 20181007) version and the issue is there. I just can't see how the remote not working hasn't been picked up as being more of an issue.
I totally agree, have no idea why hasn't been picked up.

Only hope I (we?) have now is I now have a time frame between when remote worked (I pressed "pause" to answer a phone call) and remote stopped working (tried to press "play" after phone call). I have sent QNAP a diagnostic log with my specific time frame. Fingers crossed some anomaly can be seen within the 6 minute window I provided.
Barboots
Getting the hang of things

Post by Barboots »

... and I thought I was too dumb to get the remote on my TS-451+ working

Cheers, Steve
jrdee
Starting out

Post by jrdee »

Barboots wrote:... and I thought I was too dumb to get the remote on my TS-451+ working Image

Cheers, Steve
What we're finding is after a QNAP reboot remote works for a period of time then just stops working altogether, needing to reboot the QNAP. The period of time is "who knows" - just happens whenever. Mine's a TS-453A
Barboots
Getting the hang of things

Re: RE: Re: Remote control not working in HD Station

Post by Barboots »

jrdee wrote:
Barboots wrote:... and I thought I was too dumb to get the remote on my TS-451+ working Image

Cheers, Steve
What we're finding is after a QNAP reboot remote works for a period of time then just stops working altogether, needing to reboot the QNAP. The period of time is "who knows" - just happens whenever. Mine's a TS-453A
I've probably never tried a short period after reboot. I'll confirm shortly.

Thanks for the info guys...
jrdee
Starting out

Post by jrdee »

An update, that I think we finally have a fix.
I was not lasting 24 hours after reboot and my remote would stop working randomly but since implementing a test option provided to me from QNAP support, my remote has been working has been working perfectly since last Monday evening (today is Sunday).
It involved using Putty to SSH into the QNAP, mount "something", editing a read-only file that shouldn't be edited a using "vi" (VI can save to read-only files), un-mounting, and finally rebooting. It's not my place to share on this forum and potentially something going wrong for others but certainly something that you can ask QNAP support if you think you are capable of the above steps.
I am keeping QNAP support updated so if everything continues as I'm hoping it will, hopefully a firmware update in the near future to correct this problem once and for all.
sunnyl
Starting out

Post by sunnyl »

Good to hear, the day I bought a USB remote from eBay!
MilkyMilky
New here

Post by MilkyMilky »

Same issue here. The last two firmware updates haven't resolved the issue.
Ticket raised for further support
boja0003
New here

Post by boja0003 »

jrdee wrote:An update, that I think we finally have a fix.
I was not lasting 24 hours after reboot and my remote would stop working randomly but since implementing a test option provided to me from QNAP support, my remote has been working has been working perfectly since last Monday evening (today is Sunday).
It involved using Putty to SSH into the QNAP, mount "something", editing a read-only file that shouldn't be edited a using "vi" (VI can save to read-only files), un-mounting, and finally rebooting. It's not my place to share on this forum and potentially something going wrong for others but certainly something that you can ask QNAP support if you think you are capable of the above steps.
I am keeping QNAP support updated so if everything continues as I'm hoping it will, hopefully a firmware update in the near future to correct this problem once and for all.
HI, jrdee. I would highly appreciate if you could share with us what QNAP support did with your device in order to fix the remote control problem. It is very frustrating that QNAP would not fix it. Back in May they sent me a test firmware which provided a solution until I upgraded the device. I was hopeful that they identified the problem and will correct it with the next software update. As I told them that their test firmware works, they asked me to send my device back to be studied by QNAP. I did that and received a brand new device, which, guess what..., had the same problem. Again the solution was to send me a test firmware which fixed it until I updated the device. Yes, I updated the device, because the rep told me that the remote control problem is going to be fixed with that firmware update. Now and many firmware updates later I have the same problem.
jrdee
Starting out

Post by jrdee »

boja0003 wrote:It is very frustrating that QNAP would not fix it. Back in May they sent me a test firmware which provided a solution until I upgraded the device. I was hopeful that they identified the problem and will correct it with the next software update. As I told them that their test firmware works, they asked me to send my device back to be studied by QNAP. I did that and received a brand new device, which, guess what..., had the same problem. Again the solution was to send me a test firmware which fixed it until I updated the device. Yes, I updated the device, because the rep told me that the remote control problem is going to be fixed with that firmware update. Now and many firmware updates later I have the same problem.
I too once received a test firmware that worked, but then broke upon installing a live firmware upgrade (on QNAP's advice). QNAP asked me to do the same thing as you, send my device back. I didn't because of the hassle and I was confident it wasn't a hardware issue.

I have told QNAP my remote still works and hope it will be forthcoming in a future update. I was advised that firmware updates will not override the file changes made to correct this problem so I can install new firmware when it comes along. I haven't installed any new firmware to test.

I have noted above the high level steps I had to take but ask you please contact support for the actual documentation that guides you how to do it. You will then have an open ticket in case you need further assistance to complete the steps. Refer them to here if they are not sure, or, ticket #MBY-908-81734. Good luck.

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”