Thumbnail generation

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
mrmoosehead
Starting out

Thumbnail generation

Post by mrmoosehead »

Now then.
Just kicked off a manual generation of all thumbnail files for a very large collection of 3MB images.
I think it may be some time.
After a couple of glasses of a very palatable red, I was given to wondering....
Have the nice people at QNAP considered that given that the boxes have limited RAM and CPU time that providing binaries/code for an external machine to generate the thumbnails might be a nice idea.
Let's face it, a dual core with 2GB ram is going to do the job quicker.

Any thoughts?
Markovich
Know my way around

Thumbnails

Post by Markovich »

Agreed. These devices are usually attached to far more capable machines for this kind of work. Full control of thumbnail and small image creation and display would be very useful.

Eg,
On Import: (separate controls for thumbs and scaled/small images)
Auto - None, All, or User Defined Limit
Manual - None, All or User Defined Limit

When browsing: (for scaled/small images)
Auto - None or All

- NAS 1 : TS-409Pro / fw: 3.3.0 Build 0924T / HDD: 4 x Samsung 500GB
- NAS 2 : TS-109 / fw: 3.3.0 Build 0924T / HDD: 1 x Samsung 2TB
- LAN : Draytek 2820Vn, Billion 7404VGO-M, Linksys SPA-3102, Asus WL-500g Premium
- AV : AC Ryan PlayOn!HD 2TB / Topfield TRF-2460 1TB / Samsung PS50C7000 / Yamaha RV-1065
mrmoosehead
Starting out

Post by mrmoosehead »

Hmm.

Tried to set off the generation using ImR_All -soft Qmultimedia/Images
(Or whatever the syntax is - it's definitely right anyway)
with the & on the end to get the process to run so I can log off.
Started fine - gave me the prompt back and kept giving me the output to the console, but it didn't seem to keep running when I logged off.

Is this my poor understanding of *nix processes and '&' or something else going wrong? I have it running fine, if slowly, through SSH, but I would like to be able to turn the PC off.
qn00b
Know my way around

Post by qn00b »

My biggest issue is that you need to visit each page manually before the thumbnails are generated. I would rather load them all and them click an option to "Build all Qmultimedia thumbnails" and then go to bed.

Another feature request ?
LenovoEMC px12-450r, QC Xeon, 16Gb RAM, 8 x ST33000651AS ~ RAID5, Hosting Debian Wheezy VM
Backing up to 5 x ST32000644NS ~ RAID0 in a Lian Li EX-50 (eSATA) + 2 x WD 6TB MyBook (USB 2.0)
mrmoosehead
Starting out

Post by mrmoosehead »

From what I gather, there is a cron job that is supposed to regularly check and create new thumbnails, but it doesn't seem to work very well.

Someone (mr hyde?) posted a variation on the cron job that he says works - I haven't tried it yet, just logged into the box and set it going manually - took a few days to process them all.
mr_hyde
Easy as a breeze

Post by mr_hyde »

Hello,

you will find the script here:

http://forum.qnap.com/phpbb2/viewtopic. ... light=#101

It works reliable for me. Nevertheless it is not faster, but it goes through all of my folders which is not true for the standard cronjob.
QNAP TS-453A
4 * Hitachi 3 TB HDD (RAID 5)
FW: 4.5.1 1540

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”