Giving Access to Other People

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
Zaraspook
Starting out

Giving Access to Other People

Post by Zaraspook »

Hi all, I know this is prolly a really basic question, but if I wanted to give someone access to my music on my TS-251, and wanted them to be able to play it from a home PC (not a mobile device), what would be the best way?

I've made them a User and have given permission for the folder. Is using MyQNAPCloud and use Music Station the only real way? Is there a way to let them play content with something like MusicBee or itunes? Or, would they have to use Music Station only?

Thanks!
P3R
Guru

Re: Giving Access to Other People

Post by P3R »

The only secure way to share any data outside of your private network is to first deploy a remote access VPN solution for the person. After that you can worry about how and with what player to listen to the music.

NASes with services open to the internet will eventually become malware infected, as so many Qnaps have been over the years. Don't fall into the same trap!
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

for access rights depends.

some people feel comfortable doing guest access ( i don't). and others create accounts and then allocate share permissions they are allowed access to.

for lan theyll be able to connect. for remote, setup vpn.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Dic3man
Getting the hang of things

Post by Dic3man »

You could install PLEX on your NAS, and since you arent going to do any transcodes (for video) it will work fine.

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”