Background transcoding not working anymore

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
gaztop
New here

Background transcoding not working anymore

Post by gaztop »

Updated my NAS firmware and now neither multimedia station nor file station background transcodes. :?

I have tried Putty SSH to install ffmpeg. I have rolled back the firmware to the previous version. I have uninstalled/reinstalled multimedia station. I uninstalled the recent CodexPack and installed an older version, all to no avail.

I am still on the old firmware and have no idea how to proceed.

Came across this about Cayin, and wondering if this will do it now? (I did install this around the same time as the previous updated firmware):

https://www.qnap.com/en-us/software/cay ... ign-player
CAYIN MediaSign Player enables your QNAP NAS to support mainstream image and video formats, including HEIF/ HEVC (H.265), and video transcoding. CAYIN MediaSign Player greatly increases the multimedia formats supported by your QNAP NAS, allowing you to enjoy your movies, music, and photos and to easily transcode files to the MP4 (H.264) format.
QNAP TVS-682
4 x 12TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD's (RAID 5)
2 x 2TB Seagate Firecuda SSD's (Cache, RAID 1)
2 x QNAP QNA-UC5G1T 5GbE Adaptors (PC & NAS)
UGREEN Cat 7 Cabling
(Getting a QNAP QSW-M1208-8C) :geek:
gaztop
New here

Re: Background transcoding not working anymore

Post by gaztop »

I answered my own question. I noticed that the previous video files that had transcoded were in H.264 Codec, and that the ones that hadn't were H.265 (HEVC) Codec.
The solution is to pay $19.99 USD to QNAP for CAYIN 'PLUS' MediaSign Player: https://www.qnap.com/en/software/cayin-mediasign-player
Then activate the licence. This allows 'all' video formats to be trancoded to the @transcode folder.

UPDATE: Cayin does not seem to work with 'Background Tasks', and I tried to transcode 2 files simultaneously and the second file failed. So i'm doing one file at a time because of this and the fact you can't seem to just batch process a load of files and leave it running.
QNAP TVS-682
UGREEN Cat 7 Cabling
swampy32
Starting out

Post by swampy32 »

I would not purchase a licence for CAYIN PLUS....
H265 is not supported I purchased a licence and activated it when I select a H265 video to encode I get codec not supported when i select a H264 video to encode to H265 there is no option to select H265 codec
I have sent a ticket to support and i am awaiting their responce.
Qnaps website is misleading regarding CAYIN and what it supports and does.
QNAP TS-509 Pro
Qnap TVS-463
Qnap TS-453
QNAP TS-253A
QNAP TVS-1282
swampy32
Starting out

Post by swampy32 »

Qnap have taken away the codex-pack to force everyone who wants to encode to purchase their CAYIN PLUS licence so if you upgrade to Qnaps latest firmware you are stuffed unless you buy it
QNAP TS-509 Pro
Qnap TVS-463
Qnap TS-453
QNAP TS-253A
QNAP TVS-1282
swampy32
Starting out

Post by swampy32 »

swampy32 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:54 pm I would not purchase a licence for CAYIN PLUS....
H265 is not supported I purchased a licence and activated it when I select a H265 video to encode I get codec not supported when i select a H264 video to encode to H265 there is no option to select H265 codec
I have sent a ticket to support and i am awaiting their responce.
Qnaps website is misleading regarding CAYIN and what it supports and does.
Qnap tech support quoted the description of the product on their website and i pointed out that it did not do what they said it did.
Qnap then refunded licence for CAYIN PLUS
QNAP TS-509 Pro
Qnap TVS-463
Qnap TS-453
QNAP TS-253A
QNAP TVS-1282
gaztop
New here

Post by gaztop »

Hi swampy32,

Yes I agree with you, and I've actually had issues even trying to convert H265 video in CAYIN - when they say it's supposed to work.

I can do the same job manually by running the H265 video through 'Any Video Converter Free' and setting the video size to the same value as any previously successfully transcoded H264 file. Then just renaming the output file to the same format as what a transcoded file should look like.

Via this method there is no real need for CAYIN. I've brought it already but luckily it wasn't expensive.
QNAP TVS-682
UGREEN Cat 7 Cabling
Marcinnelli
New here

Post by Marcinnelli »

Hi,

I'm trying to find which formats are actually supported by Multimedia console, for background transcoding of course. Or to find solution in this case:

I have CCTV camera connected to NAS and I'm keeping records on it. It's recording in 1920x1080, 10fps, CBR, 1280 kbs. It's ok to playback records when internet connection is fast but often I need to connect thru low speed connection and then problem occurred.
Seems like Multimedia Console is not supporting this format.

No idea how to sort it out to have 360p or 480p transcoded video....

I'm using TS-251A with 8GB ram and software 4.4.2.1320, CodexPack 4.7.0.2, Multimedia streaming add-on 441.1.1.4

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”