Thumbnail Generation Failed

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
graemev
Know my way around

Re: Thumbnail Generation Failed

Post by graemev »

I have many 100s of .mpg, converted to .avi a while back , with thumbnails

Recently recoded to .mkv containers. All the thumbnails have gone .

Just went through the tortious process to get a CAYIN product licence and activate it (this has got to be the most clunky activation I've ever seen)
and now .... loads of messages popping up ...failed to create thumbnail. So the only thumbnails I have are those that predate the move to CAYIN.

I really don't want this :
  1. I don't want to have to use some dodgy online site to buy keys for a product I already own
  2. I really don't whatever nonsense features CAYIN offers (and I certainly don't want any PRO / ++ features, it's bad enough I have it already)
  3. I just want the simple features, which already existed to create a thumbnail of my videos
All the CAYIN change has done is break the existing system , force me though a load of hoops which expose me to fraud, then still does not work.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

QNAP never said why they crippled FFMPEG in the latest builds .. but my guess is licensing for codecs.

You can always abandon QNAP apps and use Kodi/Plex/etc as media servers/clients
chrisonnas
Getting the hang of things

Post by chrisonnas »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:50 am QNAP never said why they crippled FFMPEG in the latest builds .. but my guess is licensing for codecs.

You can always abandon QNAP apps and use Kodi/Plex/etc as media servers/clients
Yes, I have switched to Plex server, so all the thumbnails are created on the server. In the past, I used a USB hard drive full of .mp4 videos connected to a raspberry pi running Kodi, which also worked brilliantly. QNAP can run fine for a simple NAS with user account access etc, but I am very hesitant to use any of the extra apps/features. Too complicated to set up and not reliable enough...
RudiVoeller
New here

Post by RudiVoeller »

I'm happy with my TS-453mini, but this thumbnail issue is one of the reasons why I try another one next time. This whole multimedia theme on QNAP is crapy. I have to do more and more to get a working multimedia environment. Here a new license, there a new app, this and that to change but in the end it is not working as expected yet. I hate it. I will delete all this annoying ** and install Kodi on a raspi. That setup will do what I want for 30 Euros.
chrisonnas

Post by chrisonnas »

RudiVoeller wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:35 pm I'm happy with my TS-453mini, but this thumbnail issue is one of the reasons why I try another one next time. This whole multimedia theme on QNAP is crapy. I have to do more and more to get a working multimedia environment. Here a new license, there a new app, this and that to change but in the end it is not working as expected yet. I hate it. I will delete all this annoying ** and install Kodi on a raspi. That setup will do what I want for 30 Euros.
If you only use your media inside the house, the other option is to use Plex. Lots of TVs include plex clients, and the Amazon Fire TV stick runs it well. Let the Plex server do the thumbnails, you can even edit them on movies if it gets the wrong info (just like you can in KODI). My Pi3B is now gathering dust since getting a Fire stick.
RudiVoeller
New here

Post by RudiVoeller »

Of course, there are a lot of workarounds, but that is not what I have paid for. I paid 500 Euros for a device, where I should not must use workarounds, to get the simplest things work, right? Found out that I have to install this ridiculous CAYIN player and also have to give my data to this player company to get a 0.00 Euro license to get this player working at all. Completely useless for me, but I need it to create thumbnails for my dlna clients. What an annoying bull.... In 2022 ends the support for my TS-453mini, with the next 500 I will feed Synology. Pretty sure they have similar annoying problems, but I will give it a try.

Regarding the actually topic. I also found out that I have to delete the existing thumbnails in the hidden .@__thumb folders in the directories with the video files. After that I had to remove the source path from the DLNA app, had to modify the folder name with the video files , added this new name to the DLNA app and then this "multimedia console" has created correct new thumbnails. This thumbnails will be used in the filestation5 app as well. If the video thumbnails are correct here, it will be also shown in my dlna clients.
Philippe MTL
First post

Post by Philippe MTL »

I was also surprised to see that I would need CAYIN MediaSign 'plus' license to get thumbnails for the few HEVC video files I uploaded from my phone. But I must admit that it does the work.
daubee
New here

Post by daubee »

for me it would only generate a few thumnails regardless of directories I configured in multimedia console. in the end it looks like having a schedule window (of 12 hours) over a week wouldn't work but when I set thumnail generatiuon to real time it completed in an hour
chrisonnas

Post by chrisonnas »

If you are keen to avoid the QNAP software but keep using the hardware, it seems that you can install TrueNAS Core on a USB stick or external SSD and run the QNAP NAS on that OS instead. I'm not going down that route at present as it would require so much work to reconfigure all the users/shared folders/services. BUT I am so annoyed at the QTS experience that one more thing going wrong will be enough!
paulp103786
New here

Post by paulp103786 »

Problem started after installing crapy software CAYIN. I have to exclude .heic,.mov,.mp4,.mkv from thumbnail generation. I am not sure what will be the impact but at least I am not getting thumbnail generation error messages anymore. I hope QNAP and CAYIN will solve this problem in future.
chrisonnas

Post by chrisonnas »

I uninstalled the Qsirch app. Plex server needs a reboot every day now, which is really annoying. If I had the time to spare, I'd wipe and try TrueNAS... but I dont.

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”