Multimedia Share gone

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
myswars
New here

Multimedia Share gone

Post by myswars »

Hi together,

When I bought my TS-253D some weeks ago I created a shared folder with the name "Multimedia" on one of my Thick Volumes (not System) where I put all my music and movies.
Yesterday I wanted to test the Photo and Video Station so I activated the Multimedia Console and installed both apps from the store.

Now it seems one of those created a new shared Folder in my System Volume also with the Name "Multimedia" and my previous Multimedia folder is gone.
When I open the shared folder from a PC it only shows a Folder "Samples" with 2 Files called "Sample Music 1/2.mp3".

I learned that my Data is not lost but just my own shared Folder was deactivated, as I was able to create a new shared folder and manually specified my own Multimedia Path.
Nevertheless now my shared folder is called differently than the Folder on the NAS.
Is it possible to remove the Multimedia Folder in System (created by Mulitmedia Console or Music Station) somehow?
Or should I ssh into my NAS and rename my own Multimedia Folder to another name?
Where to create a ticket for this unexpected behaviour, as I do not want other people to get the same shock as myself?

Best regards,
myswars
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Multimedia Share gone

Post by dolbyman »

Never name personal shared folders the same as the system default ones..you learned it the hard way

Just name it something else.. you can open a support ticket with qnap..but doubtful they will change this

first google search result
https://www.qnap.com/en/support-ticket/
myswars
New here

Post by myswars »

dolbyman wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:47 am Never name personal shared folders the same as the system default ones..you learned it the hard way
I even checked all the names of the default ones before creating my own shares!
The multimedia system share was not existing at that time, so I should either have gotten a warning that this name could be problematic or the multimedia console should not overwrite it.

But thanks anyway for the experiences with the ticket system, I was wondering how well they respond to customer requests.

Do you know if I can just ssh into the qnap and change the name of my folder with mv or is there a better way? I did not find the possibility in the UI of file station.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

you create a new share and point it manually to the storage location
myswars
New here

Post by myswars »

Ok did that already, did not seem the cleanest solution to me.

Thread can be closed if this is a convention here.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

create a new share. move the file from new to default share .. remove new share

done

all your files are in the multimedia share
Superfly009
New here

Post by Superfly009 »

myswars wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:41 am
dolbyman wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:47 am Never name personal shared folders the same as the system default ones..you learned it the hard way
I even checked all the names of the default ones before creating my own shares!
The multimedia system share was not existing at that time, so I should either have gotten a warning that this name could be problematic or the multimedia console should not overwrite it.

But thanks anyway for the experiences with the ticket system, I was wondering how well they respond to customer requests.

Do you know if I can just ssh into the qnap and change the name of my folder with mv or is there a better way? I did not find the possibility in the UI of file station.

100% same issue .... scared the living daylight out of me .. all of a sudden all my media files gone/disappeared/hidden. Multimedia (system)folder didn't exist first.. but later overruled .. managed to get it back after a cold sweat... CRAPPY EXPERIENCE ..
Last edited by Superfly009 on Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Superfly009 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:36 pm 100% same issue .... scared the living daylight out of me .. all of a sudden all my media files gone/disappeared/hidden. Multimedia (system)folder didn't exist first.. but later overruled .. managed to get it back after a cold sweat... CRAPPY EXPERIENCE ..
Do you now know how to avoid such an unpleasant experience?

MAKE BACKUPS!

Don't blame the manufacturer for your scare. It's no-one's fault but your own. If you're storing all your data in a single magic box that can stop-working at any time, then you're clearly trying to manage more data than you can comfortably handle.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
myswars
New here

Post by myswars »

OneCD wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:53 pm Do you now know how to avoid such an unpleasant experience?

MAKE BACKUPS!

Don't blame the manufacturer for your scare. It's no-one's fault but your own. If you're storing all your data in a single magic box that can stop-working at any time, then you're clearly trying to manage more data than you can comfortably handle.
You want to say you like manufacturer bugs corrupting data?
Hopefully QNAP will also provide some for you :)

For myself, I dont like to revert Terrabytes of data from offline backups just because qnap ** it up.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

your data..your responsibility..that simple

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”