Prevent mytranscodesvr from starting

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
grouillier
Starting out

Prevent mytranscodesvr from starting

Post by grouillier »

I apologize if resurrecting an old thread is inappropriate. I have a new TS-230 - my first QNAP - and I noticed this mytranscodesvr in the log while trying to figure out why the device has so much disk activity upon power up I can't log in for about 5 minutes. I have Multimedia Service, uPNP and Bonjour all disabled, so why is the mytranscodesvr process still starting? Here is the top info for it:

Code: Select all

14212 14210 admin    S     337m 21.9   0  0.0 /usr/local/medialibrary/bin/mytranscodesvr -debug -db /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/
It's not using any CPU, but 337 MB of memory, and this little TS-230 only has 2 GB, so I'd like to put that memory to better use. I only use this system for internal computer backups - no multimedia, no games, no surveillance.

Thanks.
TS-230, TS-253A, both with latest stable QTS
Don
Guru

Re: Prevent mytranscodesvr from starting

Post by Don »

Topic split.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

What apps are installed ?

just because the RAM is used, does not mean it's wasted .. plain SMB file interaction will not be hindered by the usage
grouillier
Starting out

Post by grouillier »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:17 pm What apps are installed ?
I have not installed any apps myself, so just the standard ones. I've designated the following not to start:

HBS 3 Hybrid Backup Sync
QSync Central
SSD Profiling
So that leaves the following:

Helpdesk
License Center
Malware Remover
Multimedia Console
Network & Virtual Switch
Notification Center
Qboost
QTS SSL Certificate
QuLog Center
Resource Monitor
I suppose since I have Multimedia Services disabled on the Multimedia Console, I don't need that any longer, so I can tell that not to start.

Interesting, on the Multimedia Console, Transcoding is shown not grayed out, so enabled in most contexts. I clicked that, and on the page it says:

To enable transcoding on this NAS, install the latest version of Video Station.

Once Video Station is installed, go to the Video Station Transcoding tab for further instructions.
This would imply that as far as the device is concerned, Transcoding is not currently enabled. Which makes the presence of mytranscodesvr even more curious.

Thanks.
grouillier
Starting out

Post by grouillier »

For those who may find this topic via search, I found a way to prevent /usr/local/medialibrary/bin/myconvertserver and /usr/local/medialibrary/bin/mytranscodesvr from starting up during boot. This method also survives reboot. Unfortunately, I wasn't successful in preventing /usr/sbin/rtk_transcoding_daemon from starting; changes I made to it's startup script /etc/rcS_init.d/S20init_check were reset to QNAP's original version every boot. I also tried removing the executable bit from the rtk_transcoding_daemon binary, but that also was reset at the next boot.

In /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/MultimediaConsole/MLStartMediaService.sh:

To stop myconvertserver from running, In function Run_ConvertSvr(), at around line 525, comment out this line:
	${mc_install_path}/MLQMediaService.sh startConvertSvr 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null
To comment out, simply put a hash mark (#) at the beginning, either in the first character position, or immediately preceding the initial $ character.

To stop mytranscodesvr from running, in function Run_TranscodeSvr(), at around line 464, comment out this line:
	/etc/init.d/QMediaService.sh startTranscodeSvr 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”