Facial Recognition - QNAP AI core 3.0.1 ...slow or what?

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
graemev
Know my way around

Facial Recognition - QNAP AI core 3.0.1 ...slow or what?

Post by graemev »

Recently I noticed a download of QNAP AI core 3.0.1. It appears to used for e.g. Facial Recognition . Well yesterday I noticed it was on 36% , 24 hours later is on 37.3% at this rate it'll take months to complete. The Nas (451+) is basically idle, other than this task . I'm tempted to just stop it. I disabled QuMagie as it kept the disks spinning.
graemev
Know my way around

Re: Facial Recognition - QNAP AI core 3.0.1 ...slow or what?

Post by graemev »

38.2% (after 23 more hours) ...and if these are Microsoft percentages , it'll sit at 99% for about a year :lol:

find /net/nas/Multimedia/Photos/ -name '*.jpg' -o -name '*.JPG' | wc
145636 148682 15161570

So 145K photos...not huge ..1% per day = 14500 per day = 12 per min ... maybe they post the off to some guy who looks at them for 5 seconds each

ABTW. Before this started, the photos were already indexed, Qumagie already showed faces with names
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

Too slow of a cpu and Gpu likely not being leveraged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
cmace
New here

Post by cmace »

same problem here with my TS-431P3
Dan.B
Starting out

Post by Dan.B »

My TS-451+ with 8GB ram has been stuck at 99.3% facial recognition for about a week.
IMO, QNAP botched the latest Photo Station update.
cmace
New here

Post by cmace »

My NAS becomes very slow after a runtime of a day.
It's not possible to write something over smb to the hard drives.

Now I deactivated the multimedia console and everything works fine again.

You are right, QNAP botched the update.
Dan.B
Starting out

Post by Dan.B »

Multimedia is the main reason I have the NAS, especially Music Station.
I disabled Photo Station. Didn't help, still stuck at 99.3% complete and still running.
rafale
Easy as a breeze

Post by rafale »

Running facial recognition models on such cpus is nothing short of ridiculous. I have no idea what genius came up with such idea even using the simplest/least accurate models it would be uselessly slow. There are dedicated co-processors designed for these ("neural processors"). I run this (my own open source based implementation) on my much more powerful QNAP using a GPU but one would at least need an edge accelerator to make it somewhat useable.

They were smart enough to limit the units which would implement QVR face top some units but not smart enough to limit these other apps which use the same algorithms huh?
Server: TVS-872XT i9 9900 ES, 64GB DDR4 2666MHz, intel X550-T2, Asus RTX3070 Dual OC (On pico PSU), 2x Phison E12 1TB M.2, 4x Micron 5210 7.68TB, 4x WD Purple 4TB
Backup NAS: TS-473 20GB DDR4 2400MHz, Mellanox ConnectX3, 2x Samsung PM871b 256GB M.2, 4x WD Red 8TB
Former units: TVS-1282, TS-871, TS-469
Theliel
Know my way around

Post by Theliel »

rafale wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:21 am Running facial recognition models on such cpus is nothing short of ridiculous. I have no idea what genius came up with such idea even using the simplest/least accurate models it would be uselessly slow. There are dedicated co-processors designed for these ("neural processors"). I run this (my own open source based implementation) on my much more powerful QNAP using a GPU but one would at least need an edge accelerator to make it somewhat useable.

They were smart enough to limit the units which would implement QVR face top some units but not smart enough to limit these other apps which use the same algorithms huh?
Luckily, QNAP recently added support for edge accelerators, currently the Coral TPUs, and work pretty well.

It is true that some tasks are very intensive, and also applied to huge collections can take a long long... time, even more so if the CPU used is very limited in certain tasks.
Wattson
Starting out

Post by Wattson »

Is there no way to offload facial recognition to a workstation? I have years of pictures archived, every time I update firmware it goes into a 2-week long recognition routine when my Ryzen 5900x w/dedicated GPU could probably get it done in an hour or two.
Theliel
Know my way around

Post by Theliel »

Read my previous message. You cannot refer it to an external PC, but you can use a TPU for it, or simply use AI in an external photo manager as well.

In my particular case, I use the Google Coral TPU connected to the NAS, which is currently supported for it, and it increases the inference speed dramatically. In parallel, and independently, my entire collection is organized externally, including facial recognition, which is executed on a computer, and the metadata included in the photo. However, QuMagie is not compatible with the facial regions standard, so these tags are treated as standard tags, and not as people. Even so, it is preferable, since even if you had to reindex all the content of the NAS, the tags would persist, on the other hand, if you have spent weeks or months organizing the "people" inside the NAS, you would lose everything
graemev
Know my way around

Post by graemev »

I also do "facial recognition" external using the original Picasa (still hanging in there). Previous versions of "facial recognition" did run in "livable time" ...a few days to tag my images. I then named several hundred faces; but next time the QNAP firmware was upgraded it lots all my names. Then this update arrived whereby it would have taken many months to scan the photos,so I just disabled all the Photo stuff on the QNAP.

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”