New user not able to update media information

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
wayne61
New here

New user not able to update media information

Post by wayne61 »

I have decided to follow the recommendation to disable the default admin userid after creating a new admin user. I seem to be experiencing an issue when attempting to update the information associated with the videos loaded into Video Station. I get the message "You do not have permission to perform this action" if I try to update the media information, rating etc.

What permissions have I forgotten to set on my new admin userid?
=-reno-=
New here

Re: New user not able to update media information

Post by =-reno-= »

I have similar problem, but not with Video station. It seems the new firmware 4.5.3 and 4.5.4 has a bug, that every user except the default admin loses permissions to Video Station and QuMagie. I have lost several hours trying to figure it out. You can add the permission in Control Panel - Users, however after "applying" the new changes, you can go look in the permissions again and it won't be there. It doesn't save anything. Also if you create a new user with unrestricted permissions everywhere (folders, apps, etc), it will also take away permission for Video Station and QuMagie.

I don't know why, but this needs to be fixed asap.
I would also like to ditch the default admin for security reasons, however I can't because of these bugs.

Jan
Theliel
Know my way around

Post by Theliel »

Maybe its much more easy, changing in permission the owner of that files (with recursive enabled for folder with issues)
=-reno-=
New here

Post by =-reno-= »

This is not about permissions for the folders, but for the apps. Wayne61 said he doesn't have permission to work with Video Station and I can't work with QuMagie.
wayne61
New here

Post by wayne61 »

Yes. The issue I have is that Video Station doesn't allow me to update details of video files such as correct their names or correct IMDB selection. I can only do this via the default admin user.
wayne61
New here

Post by wayne61 »

=-reno-= wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:10 am I have similar problem, but not with Video station. It seems the new firmware 4.5.3 and 4.5.4 has a bug, that every user except the default admin loses permissions to Video Station and QuMagie. I have lost several hours trying to figure it out. You can add the permission in Control Panel - Users, however after "applying" the new changes, you can go look in the permissions again and it won't be there. It doesn't save anything. Also if you create a new user with unrestricted permissions everywhere (folders, apps, etc), it will also take away permission for Video Station and QuMagie.

I don't know why, but this needs to be fixed asap.
I would also like to ditch the default admin for security reasons, however I can't because of these bugs.

Jan
Thanks for this. I thought I had forgotten to set a permission somewhere.
Wayne
=-reno-=
New here

Post by =-reno-= »

So is this working for you then? For me everytime I add the permission, click Apply and then go back to permission editing, the change dissapears and I still don't have the permission.
wayne61
New here

Post by wayne61 »

=-reno-= wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:23 am So is this working for you then? For me everytime I add the permission, click Apply and then go back to permission editing, the change dissapears and I still don't have the permission.
No it doesn't work for me.
lkrantz1
First post

Post by lkrantz1 »

Hi,
Concerning QuMagie I also was not able to assign tags to pictures with version 1.5.1.
This looks now solved with the update to 1.6.0.
=-reno-=
New here

Post by =-reno-= »

Support helped me with my problem. I had other permissions set at Multimedia Console level - Multimedia App Suite - Custom permissions. There I had some user group selected as "deny permission".
Hope this helps you too.
Poppy
Getting the hang of things

Post by Poppy »

wayne61 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:01 am Yes. The issue I have is that Video Station doesn't allow me to update details of video files such as correct their names or correct IMDB selection. I can only do this via the default admin user.
I have seen this issue where a large number of video and music files were uploaded to the Multimedia folder under the Admin account.
On creating a new user and then disabling the admin account as advised, the new user was unable to change permissions or settings for the existing files but any new files were not a problem.

The issue was fixed very simply by changing the owner of the previously uploaded files : the new user could then make all changes with no problems

METHOD
Re-enable admin account
  • ssh into the QNAP as admin
    cd /share/Multimedia/%folderofstuff% (where %folderofstuff% is the folder name for the music or video files e.g. Music, TVShows, Movies or Photos)
    chown -R %newusername% *
    logout
Disable admin account again

EDIT
NOTE: This only worked because all files were uploaded as admin and all were to be changed to the single new user.
If you have multiple users owning files in the same directory then you need a more selective method!

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”