Is this really slow?

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
djtron
Starting out

Is this really slow?

Post by djtron »

Seriously, I've got my TS251A with dual core celeron n3160 and 8gb around 2 weeks now so it's currently indexing and generating thumbnails for my media. The cpu is always 90 to 98% and ram at 25-30%.

1. Is this really slow and laggy? How can I speed up things?

2. Which video player is the best for playing to TV via HDMI?

3. Do I need to close the below apps?
- a. Cayin mediasign, Media streaming add on, Multimedia console
- b. Stations: , music, photo, video; Qbutton, Qumagie,
- c. Network and virtual switch, Qvpn service, QTS ssl certificate, Qufirewall
- d. Ssd profiling tool, HBS, Qsync central, container virtualization
- e. Helpdesk, Resource monitor, Notification centre, Security counselor, Qboost,Qulog
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Is this really slow?

Post by dolbyman »

1. Hard to say, depending on the app, Plex works fast here on my 951X (indexing,thmbs,intro detection,etc).. I have never run any of the QNAP media stuff
2. Forget the QNAP as a player and use it as a NAS (a cheap external player will do miles better than the QNAP ever could)
3. Depends on what apps you want to use, if you'd switch to Plex Server, most of these are not needed
djtron
Starting out

Image thumbnails and file indexing

Post by djtron »

Hi, I have an old qnap nas n3160 dual core celeron 1.6-2.5ghz with 8gb ram. It's taking more than a week to generate thumbnails and index the files thru media console. What's the specific use for these? Is it worth it to finish? Thank you.
Theliel
Know my way around

Re: Image thumbnails and file indexing

Post by Theliel »

IMO, I think you want to kill him before his time. Hardware does not become "old", in any case it is your needs that change. When you acquired it, it would take a similar time.

In any case, the generation of thumbnails and indexing is a very heavy task whatever the hardware, but should be only a "problem" when you have a large collection without indexing yet. From that moment on, the new multimedia files is usually not a big problem, it takes a little longer or less.

The rest is to really be clear about the original reason why you bought it. A 5-year-old NAS is perfectly valid for 99% of the functionalities of a NAS: Backups, file management / sharing ... And wondering on the other hand what one would expect to have more or better with another NAS , and if the changes warrant another device.

Personally, if it is a matter of taking a little longer or less in functionalities that are generally AFK, its fine for me.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Image thumbnails and file indexing

Post by dolbyman »

why ask the same thing again?

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=162544&p=797002#p797002
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

* topics merged *

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
JCNAP
Starting out

Post by JCNAP »

djtron wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:49 pm Seriously, I've got my TS251A with dual core celeron n3160 and 8gb around 2 weeks now so it's currently indexing and generating thumbnails for my media. The cpu is always 90 to 98% and ram at 25-30%.

1. Is this really slow and laggy? How can I speed up things?
I think that time is reasonable considering you have a Celeron, similar to mine.

I've got the TS-251D. 8GB RAM, Corel M.2x1, SSD M.2 500GB, HDD 4TB x 2.

Transferred 30000 (30k) pictures to the NAS, mostly family stuff, last week.
Thumbnails took a few days.
AI (face and similar picture recognition) took a day less.

I'm not going to be transferring that amount of files on a daily basis. I've waited our a few days, and now it runs pretty smooth. It only used up 99% of the processor non stop during those first few days.
Now that I only upload the few pictures I take each day, it does the thumbnails and AI stuff in a snap.

Regarding the apps to leave open.

I closed all of the Media core apps during import so the processor was dedicated to just that. Once the discs were loaded I turned (enabled) the media core. It's be poorly responsive most of the time if it's chunking through that thick a load.

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”