QPhoto Station reindexing - help!

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
Janhaus
New here

QPhoto Station reindexing - help!

Post by Janhaus »

Background: So I made the mistake of clicking edit on content sources and rapid-clicking save before all the directories loaded and as a result, QNAP photo station lost all my photos/videos. No problem, I think, I simply add the folders back to content sources and wait for the re-indexing to complete. A day later after it's done, I attempt to 'restore albums' by using the import button to load my albums from before, to no result. I open up the .csv file and it looks correct, all the file folders and paths make sense, but it's not 'taking' the settings. So..before I completely rebuild my albums from scratch for the 4th time, are there any tips on what I can try?

Also, are there any alternatives to Photo Station where I can create albums based on content in Qnap and access it via a mobile device?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QPhoto Station reindexing - help!

Post by dolbyman »

Make sure your mobile access is only via LAN ..never expose your NAS to WAN!

Otherwise use any windows/mac photo viewer organizer
Janhaus
New here

Post by Janhaus »

What are some good ones for windows?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I just use the windows built in photo gallery....

Adobe Light room is supposed to be good, but I think you need to keep the cache files local when dealing with NAS storage .. but there is plenty of threads on the Adobe forum about it

Google also said this freeware is worth taking a look
https://www.digikam.org/
Theliel
Know my way around

Post by Theliel »

Do not go to the scaremongering, if you have correctly configured the NAS, the possibility of an attack on it is extremely remote. On that side, don't worry. Of course, I repeat, correctly configured:

-Admin account disabled
-2FA enabled
-Do not use upnp for service discovery, map by hand in the Router only the necessary ports, ALWAYS USING a unknown external ports, NOT DEFAULT
-Install / enable the FW integrated in the NAS (QFirewall), allow your local networks and others, and block any connection from outside your country, this reduce your risk about 99%, unless you really need to access from other countries or live in China / Russia
-Disable / uninstall any application that you don't use.
-ALWAYS have the applications and firmware updated

Zero risk does not exist in any system, but you always have to make a balance between the assumed risk and the functionality you want, of course. Because if we get to that point, then for security reasons it is also a risk to have the PC connected to the Internet, it can be infected by any exploit and compromise all the information on it, so the only way to be sure would have to be to isolate the PC also Internet.

Believe me, if good policies and practices are applied, the risk is more than acceptable, and it more than compensates for keeping it connected, after all, a lot of the services that a NAS offers are precisely to be connected.

On the other hand, when it comes to good offline photo manager, I recommend DigiKam 100%. The PhotoStation / QuMagie + Digikam combination is almost perfect for me. However, Digikam is not a web server, it works great to organize, categorize, tags ... your photos, photos are physically stored on the NAS without problem, and also PhotoStation / QuMagie will update metadata and others without problems. It is true that the albums created in Digikam will not be "created" on the other side as such, but if you have them well ordered it does not matter. This is told to you by someone who with a huge collection of photos, with more than 400 different people tagged by AI, and about 200k tags in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

All mentioned security tactics (e.g. 2FA) won't do anything if a security exploit (or recent backdoors) are used

look back at the two big ransom waves and tell me again that it's scare tactics..well?..thought so!

Do not expose your NAS by forwarding ports from WAN to it ..even using non standard ports will do nothing about broad range fingerprinting scans.
JohnKendrick
New here

Post by JohnKendrick »

How do any of the comments made about device security help the OP solve his indexing problem?

It seems there is an issue with Multimedia Console 1.4.2 with regard to subfolders. I have a similar issue with Video Station presently not generating entries in subfolders. The issue is being investigated by support. In my case the issue started immediately after updating MC141 to MC142.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

My first post was..ditch the QNAP program and use a 3rd party software (indexing is "fixed")
Theliel
Know my way around

Post by Theliel »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:42 pm All mentioned security tactics (e.g. 2FA) won't do anything if a security exploit (or recent backdoors) are used

look back at the two big ransom waves and tell me again that it's scare tactics..well?..thought so!

Do not expose your NAS by forwarding ports from WAN to it ..even using non standard ports will do nothing about broad range fingerprinting scans.
I have not said that 2FA solves all problems, in fact any of them independently does not solve all of them. All together yes. And I'm sorry to tell you, but the last two waves of ransomware would have been totally ineffective with the aforementioned security policies, in particular regarding the two attacks, with a good software update policy + not using the default ports + blocking external access (of the country). In fact, any of those three measures would have prevented either of the two waves.

-With the updated software, it would not be vulnerable.
-With "hidden" services / ports, bot networks do not discover your device (it is not feasible to scan all 65535 ports of a host when you want to infect as many as possible, you only search for specific ports and specific fingerprints.)
-Unless you live in the most infectious countries in the world (China, Russia ...), simply blocking access from external countries in the Firewall, essentially also eliminates 99% of possible attack attempts, in essence because the% The number of infected computers in the vast majority of the rest of the countries is minimal, the majority of attacks always come from the same countries.

So yes, with such policies, the two waves would have gone totally unnoticed, as they certainly have for many of us.

And again, about topic, I keep saying that PhotoStation / QuMagie are not viable for high productivity use when managing a large collection of photos. I think they are a good complement to share and have access to them in a comfortable way and from various places / devices, but it is not as robust and ready-made software as DigiKam can be (for example). In any case, indexing is absolutely necessary if you want to be able to access the photos on the NAS, regardless of the rest. And both applications, as I have said, have the possibility of installing the application on portable devices to perform automatic synchronization of what is generated on said devices. For those who really PhotoStation / QuMagie is sufficient as a manager, then perfect. The main problem is that QNAP does not save all the metadata in the images themselves, which implies that many of the changes that users can make on the photos within either of the two applications, will be lost if the collection is reindexed. starting with facial recognition. Hence, it is much more practical to keep the entire collection organized externally to the NAS, than in the worst case that it is required to index everything again, when the indexing is finished everything will be as it was. With the update of QTS 5.0 for example it happened to me, the NAS had to re-index all the content, after a day or two the content was already all indexed, and thanks to the TPU module even the facial / object recognition was finished, with all my tags recognized and shorted.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

- A 0-day (hence the name) is exploited before patches come out.. so you can never bank on timely updates.
- If botnets are used for attacks, country blocks will not do much .. (they just cycle through available ranges in all sorts of countries)
- No ifs, buts and coconuts help here .. do not expose a (QNAP) NAS to WAN and use a VPN on a secure updated appliance to connect to .. easy and (much more) secure
Janhaus
New here

Post by Janhaus »

Q: How do you better 'integrate' DigiKam with Qnap? I downloaded the Digikam prog and can see how it's very useful in terms of organization but from what I'm seeing, it works by folders. I can organize these how I want in Digikam but is there a way to 'group' or 'tag' photos in DigiKam such that I can group them the same way in Photostation? Or vice versa?
Theliel wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:01 pm On the other hand, when it comes to good offline photo manager, I recommend DigiKam 100%. The PhotoStation / QuMagie + Digikam combination is almost perfect for me. However, Digikam is not a web server, it works great to organize, categorize, tags ... your photos, photos are physically stored on the NAS without problem, and also PhotoStation / QuMagie will update metadata and others without problems. It is true that the albums created in Digikam will not be "created" on the other side as such, but if you have them well ordered it does not matter. This is told to you by someone who with a huge collection of photos, with more than 400 different people tagged by AI, and about 200k tags in total.
Janhaus
New here

Post by Janhaus »

Also, q: does anybody know if there are logs available to view when I run the 'import' in Photostation so that I can see if there's any errors (so that I can fix the import)?
Theliel
Know my way around

Post by Theliel »

dolbyman wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:04 am - A 0-day (hence the name) is exploited before patches come out.. so you can never bank on timely updates.
- If botnets are used for attacks, country blocks will not do much .. (they just cycle through available ranges in all sorts of countries)
- No ifs, buts and coconuts help here .. do not expose a (QNAP) NAS to WAN and use a VPN on a secure updated appliance to connect to .. easy and (much more) secure
-A 0-day xploit It is also present in your OS, phone, browsers, Router ... do you also have them isolated?
-Sorry to contradict you, 99% of malware and bot / zombie networks always come from the same countries. I can show you records of months and even years of my own where I have not had even a single unauthorized access attempt from my own country. Another different thing is that you have the bad luck of living in a country with a high rate of malware, which is essentially 10-15 countries at most.
-Using your own scaremongering, it is a mistake to do what you say, after all the VPN server you use may still have a 0-day xploit that allows unauthorized access to your local network, and the problem would be much worse, since you would be exposing your entire local network. Or hijack your router for some 0-day xploit and open whatever the malicious code wants out of the local network.
Theliel
Know my way around

Post by Theliel »

Janhaus wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:50 pm Q: How do you better 'integrate' DigiKam with Qnap? I downloaded the Digikam prog and can see how it's very useful in terms of organization but from what I'm seeing, it works by folders. I can organize these how I want in Digikam but is there a way to 'group' or 'tag' photos in DigiKam such that I can group them the same way in Photostation? Or vice versa?
Personally, as I say, I do not use PhotoStation or QuMagie as an organizer. What I do is organize everything from DigiKam:

-I use AI to identify and tag everyone. This is included in the metadata of the photos, so any software that reads it is capable of displaying it. Unfortunately it is the only thing that PS / QM are not able to interpret as faces, and will only appear as normal tags (I can live with it)
-In the same way, any "normal" label will also appear as a label in PS / QM
-The DigiKam DB is stored locally on an M2 SSD, which makes it very fast, thumbnails and other data are also stored there. Instead, the photos are all stored on the NAS.
-Any changes made in Digikam, such as date adjustments, new tags, moving photos / folders ... are automatically replicated in QM / PS.

As I say, the only thing that for now cannot be done, is that QM / PS are able to interpret Digikam's facial regions and people labeling, since PS / QM does not store that information in the image metadata. Even so, it should be very easy to slightly modify QuMagie / PS so that they can display and interpret this information, I hope they will add this possibility in the future.

The only limitation in this is that tagged people will appear as "Tags" and not as "People", but I already said that for me this is a lesser evil. When I have time I will try to modify PS / QM so that although they do not appear in "people", they do appear the boxes of the facial regions with the name.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

To compare (mostly) open source, purpose build router OS, with the proven bad track record of QNAPs hack job of code, is a slippery slope..and you know it

Unclear what you are trying to achieve here...but it's not working

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”