QPhoto Station reindexing - help!

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
Theliel
Know my way around

Re: QPhoto Station reindexing - help!

Post by Theliel »

dolbyman wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:05 pm To compare (mostly) open source, purpose build router OS, with the proven bad track record of QNAPs hack job of code, is a slippery slope..and you know it

Unclear what you are trying to achieve here...but it's not working
Excuse me, but I think you just made quite clear your great ignorance of what you are talking about. I want to imagine that you know that CVEs can be queried (https://www.cvedetails.com/ for example). If you want you can take a look at the number of vulnerabilities reported over the years of any software / product, and compare the vulnerabilities of QTS against any other device: In case you don't want to bother taking a look, for example:

Last 8 years (CVE):
QNAP -> 110
Synology -> 188
Firefox -> 1957
Windows 10 -> 2393
Chrome -> 2227
iOS -> 2443
MacOS X -> 2870
Android -> 3795

I sincerely believe that I do not understand the concept of "expose" of a device to the Internet. You are much more likely to have any problem on the rest of your devices than on the NAS, many of them connected to the Internet 24/7. So please, at least don't put the noose around your own neck, talking about matters that, clearly, you have quite little knowledge.

Of course, you ALWAYS take a risk by exposing any device to the Internet, but in the end you make a balance between usability / functionality / risk. Zero risk does not exist and will never exist, but using it as an excuse to isolate all devices is a very bad excuse, especially when you probably have your mobile (Android / iOS) exposed to the Internet 24/7 (and possibly other devices as well, or intermittently). The real danger is being conscientious and not taking the minimum security measures or recommendations from REAL experts. And of course have a little common sense.

Oh, and there is no need to repeat it, in environments where the security and integrity of the data is totally essential (confidential / secret / highly sensitive information ...), since zero risk does not exist, these devices have to be plain and simple disconnected from the Internet, completely isolated. Neither VPN nor remote access.

Greetings.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Android and Windows devices are mostly used behind a NAT (Router, Cell provider non routine NAT) etc. none of devices you counted up there is a typical in an "exposed" setting.

None of the ones you posted above are typical web facing ones (router OS, plain linux, open/asus wrt) etc.

So before you accuse me of having no knowlage..don't embarras yourself counting up BS arguments.

So how many cases of ASUS router OS have lead to ransomwared user NAS devices this year? .. hmm..yes?
How many accounts have paid ransom into QNAP cryptoaccounts this year?(caused by direct web exposed devices) ..yeah ..quite a few

So as this argument is clearly going nowhere..I have marked it for closure
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

* topic locked *
Janhaus wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:40 pm So..before I completely rebuild my albums from scratch for the 4th time, are there any tips on what I can try?
Apologies to @Janhaus: this thread kinda went sideways. If you need further advice, please create a new topic.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”