How to disable FFMPEG process

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
thunder.02dragon
New here

Re: How to disable FFMPEG process

Post by thunder.02dragon »

I am too facing the same issue..I use to stream the video files to my PS3 and others but today its extreme as of this ffmpeg process..why its so buggy..darn all the videos that I am running are stopping due to 100%CPU my a**.

No official solution?
robertsst
New here

Post by robertsst »

Have you tried to transcode anything?

I had this issue and it was because someone had used the iPhone app and started to transcode a video.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

thunder.02dragon wrote:I am too facing the same issue..I use to stream the video files to my PS3 and others but today its extreme as of this ffmpeg process..why its so buggy..darn all the videos that I am running are stopping due to 100%CPU my a**.

No official solution?
Performance will return to normal, when your "Not Selected" NAS Model has finished scanning your Multimedia content. If you disable the Multimedia Management feature on your NAS, this will resolve it everywhere except File Station. If you don't want to use Photo Station, Music Station, File Station, Video Station, File Station etc going forward, this may be a solution for you.

It took 300 hours to scan my Multimedia on my old TS-419P+, but I have a lot of Multimedia files. When I migrated to a TS-470Pro, it took less than 24 hours to scan this same Multimedia.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

robertsst wrote:Have you tried to transcode anything?

I had this issue and it was because someone had used the iPhone app and started to transcode a video.
Your TS-109/209 Pro device does not support Transcoding.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

BunnyBomb wrote:Thanks for the reply.

I suppose I thought if this was happening to me, it simply must be happening to others who would better articulate the issue than I.

For my own NAS, I'm finding it struggling to load any other App I use. It's like using dial-up internet to access photos, use FTP, everything. I've manually ended the process via shell today and everything is back to normal. I can continue doing this, but I suppose my question was more - is there a better fix coming, or will we continue to have to deal with ffmpeg this way forever?
Hard to help with your "Not Selected" NAS model. :shock:

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

jkelso
New here

Post by jkelso »

="pwilson
Hard to help with your "Not Selected" NAS model. :shock:
You kill me Patrick :lol: You are of course absolutely right.

I do appreciate all the help I have found reading your replies.

Thanks.

PS. I also tried going to Control Panel, Multimedia Management, Media Library set a schedule and unchecked "set media scanning priority to high" Once it starts the scheduled scan tonight I suppose my old TS410 might choke again but I can't afford an upgrade so I will have to live with it.
silvain24
New here

Post by silvain24 »

Hi,

I have a HS-210 with last november's firmware release, i still have the same problem.

Each time i launch the File Station, and go in my private Video folder (witch is not in multimedia folder), i have 30 or 40 ffmped who starts just to create thumbnail. I let you imagine the memory consuption for a 50 movies folder (mkv between 4 and 20GB per video). The NAS don't responding for 30 or 40 minutes. Worse, if two users go in the same directory at the same time, ffmeg processes are twice for each video!!
All my transcoding options and multimedia options are disabled. I'm using only filestation and AFP protocol. All others are disabled.

I'm very disappointed with this NAS, i've chose it because fanless, but the global performances are so poor, even for private use.
joergzwingli
New here

Post by joergzwingli »

Hi to everybody,

I had been facing this problem with FFMPEG process causing a high CPU usage in several occasions on a TS219P with different firmware versions. What surprised me most that I had my NAS running for several month at low CPU usage with around 300GB of multimedia files all kind. I am streaming and I use Photo, Music and Video station so obviously my Media Library Station is running!
Then all of a sudden I noticed the increase of the CPU usage caused by the FFMPEG process. First I had no idea why and when it became like this. As I said I had not changed my data significantly so why should it keep running for a long time. I checked the forums here and tried all the advices but without success.
Switching off all services and restarting the NAS didn't help. Then one time I reloaded the same firmware version and for some reason it was gone. But because I didn't put much of attention to what was the specific step that helped to get rid of the problem I forgot about it as it was again running perfectly as before. After several months of normal operation I faced it again three days ago. The only thing I remembered that I had a regular restart with all the services running. Likely this caused the problem.
Now what I did:
1.) I deactivated the Media Library completely and turned off Twonky and the DNLA Station too.
2.) Stopped all backup and real time synchronization tasks and ejected the external HD's
3.) Reloaded the latest firmware 4.1.2 again and waited for the restart after the firmware reload.
4.) I waited for about 15min to see of the FFMPEG process would come up again as it used to do before. All good.
5.) Enabling one task after another did not cause this process to pop up again. So my system is running smoothly as before.

Out of this cognition I believe there must be an issue with the software. I feel that a restart or an upgrade of the firmware while all the tasks are running is critical. It looks as if not all the processes start up correctly and FFMPEG process falls into a never ending loop no matter if Media Library is enabled or disabled.

Hope this observation will help other users to get rid off their problems and I feel that the engineers of QNAP should check if there might be a hidden firmware bug.

Good success
Joerg
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

Jerg, just out of curiosity have you submitted a ticket to qnap, your post here does not mention if you had contacted them, posting the issue and findings here is good for users to see, but will go unnoticed by QNAP, unless you contact them directly.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
joergzwingli
New here

Post by joergzwingli »

Dear Simon
I haven't opened a ticket with QNAP yet but I'm going to do it. Thanks for your input.

Best regards
Joerg
iunlock
Getting the hang of things

Post by iunlock »

Thanks Joerg. Great info.....
RadimCZ
First post

Post by RadimCZ »

I had the same trouble with 100% CPU usage. It was caused by "VIDEO STATION LITE" application. So I sent this application to hell - and now it is OK :)
// Anyway, "Video station" application does not cause any similar troubles...
ja666
Know my way around

Post by ja666 »

StardustOne wrote:Running the 4.1 software on the 2 GHz TS-419P II does run that ffmpeg at 85 to 95% all the time while it is creating thumbnails.
What I learned if you move (with File Station 'copy/move to' command) photo-video files / directories within your share / folder, the indexing / thumbnail creation starts from scratch. Why? That's ridiculous the thumbnails are not moved together with their corresponding files :evil:
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

how is file station supposed to know if the folder you are moving it to/from is used by a media streaming addon ? (so it rewrites the thumbnail index db)
Benna80
Easy as a breeze

Post by Benna80 »

In my case was Twonky server that seems to be the root cause for ffmpeg process runinng at 70%.
After i've disabled the service the cpu load dropped at 9%.

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”