Looking for a solution for daily incremental backup.

Discussion on remote replication.
DanTheMan
Getting the hang of things

Re: Looking for a solution for daily incremental backup.

Post by DanTheMan »

Spider99 wrote:
DanTheMan wrote:...In my opinion, a backup scheme is incomplete if it does not protect from ransomware attacks.
Changing the goal posts. Backup can be done to mitigate ransomeware - but that was not the question
I hope you are wrong and the original thread starter also wants a backup to protect against ransomware attacks.
Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 »

so no solution then?
Tim

TS-853A(16GB): - 4.3.4.0483 - Static volume - Raid5 - 8 x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
Windows Server + StableBit Drivepool and Scanner ~115 TB Backup Server
TS-412 & TS-459 Pro II: Retired
Clients: 3 x Windows 10 Pro(64bit)
DanTheMan
Getting the hang of things

Post by DanTheMan »

I use Windows File History on a share of my NAS and backup the NAS to an external harddrive connected to the NAS. I retain a history of backups.

Sadly, Backup Station's RTRR + Backup Versioning app BETA suddenly stopped working and support for multi-version backup to an external hard drive has been removed from Hybrid Backup Sync - Beta. As you'll have noticed, these tools are all still in Beta. In other words, QNAP does not have a production ready backup solution that retains a backup history.

I resort to swapping two external hard drives until QNAP product managers get their act together and have this crucial feature implemented.
1inplus
New here

Post by 1inplus »

Thank you all for your reply.

I'm currently using AOMEI Backupper for this, but on free version it does not support Versioning.

Now I'm facing another problem, with Qsync this time. I wanted to sync multiple folders with NAS to keep versioning. But the qsync does not support versioning on shared folder, only on .qsync folder from home directory.
Is there a way to keep versioning with Qsync on shared folder?

---

About the ransomware attack, you are correct, but the AOMEI Backupper is making of image with the files and I don't know if that image is affected by ransomware..
1inplus
New here

Post by 1inplus »

Thank you all for your reply.

I'm currently using AOMEI Backupper for this, but on free version it does not support Versioning.

Now I'm facing another problem, with Qsync this time. I wanted to sync multiple folders with NAS to keep versioning. But the qsync does not support versioning on shared folder, only on .qsync folder from home directory.
Is there a way to keep versioning with Qsync on shared folder?

---

About the ransomware attack, you are correct, but the AOMEI Backupper is making of image with the files and I don't know if that image is affected by ransomware..
1inplus
New here

Post by 1inplus »

I think the best solution for this kind of job is Veeam Endpoint Backup.

I found Veeam Endpoint Backup, which is pretty great. It does incremental backup, email notification, you can restore file very easy, keeps backup for how many days you want.

But if you are searching something for File Versioning, Veeam is not good, because you can schedule backup whenever you want, but it only keeps file from that period of time. If you want some versioning, you need to have some kind of Active Sync backup, because a file can be saved more times a time.

So Veeam is the best solution I can find.

If you are thinking that Qsync is doing fileversioning, you are perfectly right, but Qsync supports file versioning only in .qsync folder, so it's not good for me. Because I want to keep versioning for files from different location.

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”