NAS to NAS or RTRR

Discussion on remote replication.
Blackout
Starting out

Re: NAS to NAS or RTRR

Post by Blackout »

ive just read this entire thread (12 pages ...)wow what a funky ride

i find it extraordinary that a post will proclaim that rsync is "5 times faster" than RTRR according to them, and 2 posts later someone says the exact opposite...that RTRR is King of speed.

i still have no definitive answer on the one i should be using....i want the FASTest hehe
P3R
Guru

Re: NAS to NAS or RTRR

Post by P3R »

Blackout wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:07 pm ive just read this entire thread (12 pages ...)wow what a funky ride

i find it extraordinary that a post will proclaim that rsync is "5 times faster" than RTRR according to them, and 2 posts later someone says the exact opposite...that RTRR is King of speed.
You wasted your time as this thread started more than 9 years ago and the last post before yours was almost 5 years old. The OS and applications have changed many times over the years and much information here is probably incorrect today.
i still have no definitive answer on the one i should be using....i want the FASTest hehe
As so often the the answer is YMMV. Rsync is usually faster over very slow (internet) connections and RTRR is usually faster (as well as having much more configuration alternatives) over fast (gigabit or better) networks. But it also depend on the two Qnaps used and the type of data transfer. If you want a better answer than that, start your own new thread with details on what exactly it is you want to do.

@Moderators, please lock this thread so that it doesn't attract more necro-posting.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”