Replication job 1 is aborted when job 2 starts

Discussion on remote replication.
Goggo
New here

Replication job 1 is aborted when job 2 starts

Post by Goggo »

I use remote replication to backup the TS-209 to a USB-Drive (connected to the same TS-209, FAT32). basically it works fine, but...

1) ...after starting any replication job starts, it is not possibly to look at the current configuration; when starting the administration-pages there are no logical volumes, no shares, no IP-Configuration, no USB-Disk; but the TS-209 is still backing up to the USB-Drive!
when the backup is finished (I see, that there's no activity on the USB-Drive) I do a restart and the configuration looks fine (again).

2) ...I have 3 jobs: 1st at 8:00am, 2nd at 10:00am, 3rd at 12:00am;
when the 1st job hasn't finished at 10:00am the 2nd job starts and the 1st job is aborted; after ending job 2 in the log file there are entries for starting job 1, and starting job 2 and ending job 2; no entry for ending job 1;

3)... although it looks like everything is fine (if I compare source-directory to backup-directory) there's a error log-entry, that some file may not be backed up.

I left the setting for the source folder empty and only use an item in the share-list to define the source directory. Could this cause any problems?

Goggo
------------------
TS-209; 2xSamsung HD 501LJ; Raid 1; FW 1.1.2 build 1012T; ext. USB-Drive;
Goggo
New here

Seems to depend on the FAT32 USB-Drive

Post by Goggo »

Hello again...

it seems to be a problem, depending on the filesystem on the USB-Drive. It's formatted with FAT32. Now I've detected, that the last file, that was backed up, is a file > 4GB; when 4GB are backed up the QNAP remote replication seems to stop.

Now I'll try this with a ext3 formatted disk...

Goggo
------------------
QNAPRei
Been there, done that

Post by QNAPRei »

Hi Goggo,

Please kindly submit the online support form or email us at q_support@qnap.com.tw and let our technical support engineers know your test results. Thank you.
Online Support Form: http://www.qnap.com/onlinesupport.asp
Support email: q_support@qnap.com.tw
MSN: q.support@hotmail.com
Goggo
New here

Seems to work fine with ext3 formatted USB-Disk

Post by Goggo »

Now I've finished my backup-jobs with a ext3 formatted USB-Disk for the first time and it seems to work fine!!!

Now I have log-entries like "Remote Backup schedule Job1 finished sucessfully"! I never had a log entry like this before.

I hope this will not change;

Bye,

Goggo.

@QNAPRei: I'll send my test results to q_support@qnap.com.tw, when I've tested this for a few days
------------------
Goggo
New here

Tests with ext3 formatted disk for several days very fine!!!

Post by Goggo »

Hallo again..

I finished my "tests", because I never had problems, since I use ext3 formatted USB-Disks.

Every replication job is done well! Every replication job is logged as "started" and "finished sucessfully". I never had this results before. The configuration stays correct, also without rebooting!

My finally tip to all: Remote Replication to a connected USB-Drive (at the same TS-209) works fine with ext3 formatted disks. Do not use fat32-disks!

(my tests were done with firmware Version 1.1.2 build 1009T)

@QNAPRei: I posted my results to the support team!

Regards,

Goggo!
------------------

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”