Setup replication job

Discussion on remote replication.
AGO_Adam
First post

Setup replication job

Post by AGO_Adam »

Dear community,

Thank you for the very helpful tips and tricks for setting up the NAS. I was able to use it quickly.

There is now however something going which prevents me from setting up a replication job (RTRR).

Situation:
- NAS A is set up
- NAS B in different network domain (via internet) is set up
- RTRR server is switched on and the port selected is 8899, including a password
- As far as I know the port is forwarded by the router (checked it in CloudLink, Autorouter configuration

When setting up a replication job (entering the ip address, port number and password (of the remote NAS) I get the following error message when trying the connection: "incorrect port number or the service is switched off. Check the server settings." This text might be different, because it's translated from Dutch ("Ongeldig poortnummer of de service is uitgeschakeld. Controleer de server-instellingen.")

Does any one have a clue what I'm doing wrong or may have forgotten?

Thanks!
P3R
Guru

Re: Setup replication job

Post by P3R »

AGO_Adam wrote:...CloudLink, Autorouter configuration
What is that and how does it work?

Is NAS A at your site and you're trying to backup to NAS B at the remote site?

What kind of router is at the remote site?

No VPN used?

What Qnap model with what firmware (version and build please) are NAS A and B respectively?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
njarvisto
Starting out

Re: Setup replication job

Post by njarvisto »

Ive just gone through this myself...

need to make sure that whichever NAS has RTRR server enabled, that the port forwarding is working properly on that router otherwise it cant/wont be found.

QNAP Models, Firmware Versions and Router models on each end would help.
Do you have a static IP on the server end?

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”