Offsite Backup with QNAP NAS boxes TS453 Pro and TS453A

Discussion on remote replication.
apgnas
New here

Offsite Backup with QNAP NAS boxes TS453 Pro and TS453A

Post by apgnas »

Hey all,

We have been using QNAP TS453 Pro ( 4Bay - 4 x 6TB) to backup our file server data.

Now we want to setup Offiste backup of this File Server data as a part of Disaster Recovery Plan. And we are about to get QNAP TS453A (4Bay - 4 x 6TB) to place in Offsite location.

So I just wanted to know the best practice to do it. After googling I understand we need to use Remote Replication option to replicate the data from NAS 1 (Onsite) to NAS 2(Offsite).

And I am afraid if it's not real backup, because it's going to just maintain a as it is copy on Offsite, and what if, onsite data gets virus infected or corrupted, so Remote replication will copy the infected/corrupted data, so no use of offsite, in this case, only the scenario it will work is, server crashed and onsite backup fails, then offsite will work.

Please correct me if I am wrong. :roll:

Appreciate you responses !! :mrgreen:

Thanks
P3R
Guru

Re: Offsite Backup with QNAP NAS boxes TS453 Pro and TS453A

Post by P3R »

apgnas wrote:...what if, onsite data gets virus infected or corrupted, so Remote replication will copy the infected/corrupted data...
Use the Backup versioning app (in beta but have worked reliably a long time for me) in Backup Station/RTRR.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
apgnas
New here

Post by apgnas »

P3R wrote:
apgnas wrote:...what if, onsite data gets virus infected or corrupted, so Remote replication will copy the infected/corrupted data...
Use the Backup versioning app (in beta but have worked reliably a long time for me) in Backup Station/RTRR.
Okay, I will test it.

Thanks. :mrgreen:
apgnas
New here

Post by apgnas »

How about DDNS options provided on QNAP ?

dyn.com
update.ods.org
members.dhs.org
dyns.cx
3322.org
noip.com
selfhost.de
oray.com

Whether any one of them are free to use ? without annoying things ? For example noip.com is free but every 30 days you need to refresh the account by logging in etc. otherwise, ddns will not work. So which one is better one ?

Also I found freedns.afraid.org which is totally free without annoying but there is no option on QNAP, is there any to use it ?

Thanks !!
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

DDNS and VPN should be implemented in the router/firewall doing the NATing.

Having those on an inside host, like the NAS, is an ugly hack. Avoid as long as possible.

I use https://freedns.afraid.org/, have worked great for me.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
apgnas
New here

Post by apgnas »

P3R wrote:DDNS and VPN should be implemented in the router/firewall doing the NATing.

Having those on an inside host, like the NAS, is an ugly hack. Avoid as long as possible.

I use https://freedns.afraid.org/, have worked great for me.
Trying to setup offsite at Home. VPN is not supported by Router.

For DDNS, I am not seeing free other than Freedns.afraid.org. I think I cannot use this on QNAP, as it's not included there, right ?

And also, on my router, its not included (freedns.afraid.org), so what options do I have ?

I can understand not to included DDNS on NAS itself, I will try to avoid.

Thanks
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

apgnas wrote:Trying to setup offsite at Home. VPN is not supported by Router.
Then why not get a better router/firewall?
For DDNS, I am not seeing free other than Freedns.afraid.org. I think I cannot use this on QNAP, as it's not included there, right ?
I wouldn't know, never tried. I've only used it on routers (dd-wrt) and firewalls (pfSense).

In your opening post you asked for the best practise. Using RTRR over a secure connection (VPN when across internet) is best practise.

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”