bandwith limit

Discussion on remote replication.
marculin
New here

bandwith limit

Post by marculin »

Hi, there is a possibility to limit band of rtrr process in hours (even with additional programs) ?
Example I want to limit 1Mb only from 8AM to 8PM and no limit in other time.
Thank you
OneCD
Guru

Re: bandwith limit

Post by OneCD »

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)
marculin wrote:there is a possibility to limit band of rtrr process in hours (even with additional programs) ?
Example I want to limit 1Mb only from 8AM to 8PM and no limit in other time.
I don't use RTRR myself, but after some poking around, I think it's possible to do this at the CLI.

If you have enabled the 'RTRR Server' in Backup Station, and adjusted its bandwidth controls, these settings are saved in [/etc/config/qsync/qsyncd.conf]

Here it is after I've set an unlimited upload rate and a download rate limit of 26KB/s:

Code: Select all

[/share] # grep Rate /etc/config/qsync/qsyncd.conf 
SLimitRate = 0
RLimitRate = 26624
(Presumably, 'S' and 'R' are 'Send' and 'Receive'.)

Maybe you could modify these according to a schedule in your crontab?

You could:
  • Have 2 copies of this file. A qsyncd.conf.slow and a qsyncd.conf.fast and use cp to replace the main one,
  • Or use sed to replace the values directly in the file.
Either way, need to run:

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/qsyncman.sh restart
... after altering the configuration file. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
marculin
New here

Post by marculin »

Thank you OneCD, I don't have not tried it but I think that create more problem on "console" beacuse when I will do restart, process are killed and started.
You don't know if exist something which work "on-fly" ? Thank you very much
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

marculin wrote:I don't have not tried it but I think that create more problem on "console" beacuse when I will do restart, process are killed and started.
Do you mean restarting an existing process? What problems will that create?
marculin wrote:You don't know if exist something which work "on-fly" ?
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. :(

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
marculin
New here

Post by marculin »

OneCD wrote:Do you mean restarting an existing process? What problems will that create?
I have one RTRR which during more hours, if I restart qsync during transfer, I will kill RTRR process and it do restart from begin.
OneCD wrote:Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. :(
I would like to change bandwith in progress, without kill or restart RTRR process

Thank you
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

marculin wrote:I have one RTRR which during more hours, if I restart qsync during transfer, I will kill RTRR process and it do restart from begin.
This may well happen. No problem. It will check the files again and skip any that don't require syncing.

Restarting the qsync manager process may not actually restart the qsync process. As I mentioned, I don't use RTRR and don't know if it would happen this way.

Are you performing an actual Real-Time-Remote-Replication? Or a subset of RTRR like a scheduled sync?
marculin wrote:I would like to change bandwith in progress, without kill or restart RTRR process
I see. Thank you.

Don't know if that is possible without some terrible hack that involves monitoring traffic flow and discarding packets. Speed should be managed from within the process performing the sync.

I suggested the methods in my first post as I'm unaware of any other software or configuration that can do what you want.

Personally, I think there is no harm in trying this yourself. I wouldn't have suggested it if I thought otherwise. It's only a workaround for a limitation in the system. Maybe at some point in time, QNAP will include the ability to set time-based rate-limits and this workaround can be removed. You could also request it as a feature by creating a support ticket with QNAP.

Good luck! :geek:

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”