[HOWTO] Daily incremental backup with rsnapshot

Discussion on remote replication.
atrix415
Know my way around

Re: [HOWTO] Daily incremental backup with rsnapshot

Post by atrix415 »

+1 for Qnap to include rsnapshot as an Remote Replication tool inside the NAS. This option is much better for all OS backups. Currently using rtrr via ftp.

I recently updated for the rtrr support. Everything is working 100%...

thanks Qnap
Last edited by atrix415 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atrix415
Know my way around

Post by atrix415 »

sunnyday5667 wrote:Can anyone tell me if rsnapshot works on the 809 and other x09s? I don't own one so can't test. Thanks.
Use the "search" function for the thread. A user claims it works.

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=2 ... 09#p144998
adriankeith
New here

Post by adriankeith »

I've tried reading through most of the pages of this thread but I'm having a difficult time understanding if rsync/rsnapshot will work in my environment. I recently purchased a QNAP TS-659 Pro II in an effort to do some simple backup of a file server we have. Ideally, I'd like to create a full backup and have it scheduled to do incremental backups every night or every so often. I'm not 100% sure on what the best practice is in my case but the big picture idea was to do the following:

File server -> QNAP -> Cloud Service

It *sounds* like rsnapshot should do what I want, but it looks a bit daunting for someone not familiar with how it works. The files are simple flat files (excel, word docs, etc).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I should mention the file server is windows server 2k3
revaaron
Getting the hang of things

Post by revaaron »

yes! this thread is awesome. I'm going to use it to back up a linux server from texas to a mounted directory on my QNAP 659 pro that links to my WHS 2011.
hayedid

Post by hayedid »

Hi. I had this working at one time, but my TS-809RU died and after sending it back to QNAP I've had to rebuild it. Now, as I follow the instructions, I'm running into some issues. Particularly, the key-based authentication is not working. Here is what I am getting:

running SSH from my *backup NAS* (qnap2), I get
[/] #
[/] # rsnapshot configtest
Syntax OK
[/] # rsnapshot daily
Could not create directory '/share/homes/admin/.ssh'.
The authenticity of host 'qnap1 (192.168.1.236)' can't be established.
RSA key fingerprint is f7:e2:4d:cc:b3:60:6b:53:74:5b:9e:6c:85:c4:32:76.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Failed to add the host to the list of known hosts (/share/homes/admin/.ssh/known_hosts).
admin@qnap1's password:
[/] #

qnap1 is my *target NAS* which is also a TS-809RU.

Any ideas? How can I get this going? Thank you!
bramschats
Easy as a breeze

Post by bramschats »

Hello,

I have a problem now with fw 3.7.1 and using rsnapshot.

When running rsnapshot i get the error:

Code: Select all

rsync: Can't get a 384 bytes share memory! (-2)\#012: Unknown error 4294967294 (-2)
found this threat but don't know howto solve it:
http://forum.qnapclub.de/viewtopic.php?f=166&t=21208

Has someone get the solution to this problem?

thnx in advance
Qnap TS-453D
wild_oscar
New here

Post by wild_oscar »

I just wanted to say I've been using this for quite some time and I'm really happy about it. I've wondered that this would be a great addition to the QNAP arsenal if it was included by default, as it's not complicated and extremely flexible and powerful.
tomvanswam
First post

Logging to remote Syslog server

Post by tomvanswam »

Hi,

First thanks for the how to! Works wonders on our dual TS-869L setup.
I do have a question. I'd like to log to the syslog server on the Qnap that is being backupped.
Uncomenting the cmd_logger parameter didnt give me result i hoped for.

Does anyone have any tip's on how to configure the rsnapshot server to write logs to a remote syslog server (also qnap device)?
mannebk

Post by mannebk »

I just want to mention, that there is wrong procedure in the HOWTO, concerning the autorun.sh in chapter 5.

see wiki for autorun.sh how to do it right.

http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Running_Your_ ... at_Startup

u dont have to add the 3 lines!!!

u need to use the first of the three before the "nano /tmp/config/autoruns.sh" command

then add the middle of the three lines.

safe file and close nano /vi

make it executable: chmod +x /tmp/config/autorun.sh

then: unmaunt /tmp/config

have fun follow rest of HowTO

Greetings Manne
Running a TS410 and a TS659pro. Right now (2012/12/15) I would gladly exchange them to any other similar system not produced by QNAP. Most of the QNAP frontends are just so CRAPPY as if a trainee did the development.
c7trp
New here

Post by c7trp »

I don't know if there has been a firmware change, but I really struggled to get SSH and rsnapshot to play nicely.

Using the excellent instructions and links on this thread, I was able to remote the host QNAP (TS-212 fw 4.0.1) from the backup device (TS-412 fw 4.0.1) using SSH without keying the password.

However rsnapshot would stop and ask for a password, making it impossible to run with cron.

Eventually, I found the rsnapshot.conf doesn't point to the correct(?) SSH.

Change the cmd_ssh line to read

cmd_ssh		/usr/bin/ssh
And it all works again. :)

Hope this helps someone
NismoC32
New here

Post by NismoC32 »

hayedid wrote:Hi. I had this working at one time, but my TS-809RU died and after sending it back to QNAP I've had to rebuild it. Now, as I follow the instructions, I'm running into some issues. Particularly, the key-based authentication is not working. Here is what I am getting:

running SSH from my *backup NAS* (qnap2), I get
[/] #
[/] # rsnapshot configtest
Syntax OK
[/] # rsnapshot daily
Could not create directory '/share/homes/admin/.ssh'.
The authenticity of host 'qnap1 (192.168.1.236)' can't be established.
RSA key fingerprint is f7:e2:4d:cc:b3:60:6b:53:74:5b:9e:6c:85:c4:32:76.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Failed to add the host to the list of known hosts (/share/homes/admin/.ssh/known_hosts).
admin@qnap1's password:
[/] #

qnap1 is my *target NAS* which is also a TS-809RU.

Any ideas? How can I get this going? Thank you!
Have the same problem, using a TS-869 Pro to backup user data on a Gentoo Fileseserver?

I did make a /share/home/admin folder and made a symlink to /root, and most of the error's where gone but
when I try 'rsnapshot weekly' i still have to answer yes on the "Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)"

I assume it would stop here if i add it to a cronjobb.
alexander_002
First post

Post by alexander_002 »

yes , it would stop there indeed you need to create a RSA key on the remote server and and the info of key.pub to authorized_keys and copy key to your host. you can do this by doing cat key.pub >> authorized_keys and by using scp ( copy over ssh) on the host and then add you key to know_hosts. This should resolve you issue or set your script to use the RSA path where you key is stored.
rjungwon
First post

Post by rjungwon »

We are operating two NAS servers, TS-639Pro(3.8.3 Build 20130426) and TS-439 Pro II+(3.3.6 Build 1110T). We have been using 'remote replication', from TS-639Pro to TS-439 Pro II+, with 'Perform incremental replication' option turned on. Now the TS-439 Pro II+ is disk full, so that I gives failure message for remote replication. How can I clean up the old files?
timmychuckles
Starting out

Post by timmychuckles »

c7trp wrote:I don't know if there has been a firmware change, but I really struggled to get SSH and rsnapshot to play nicely.
However rsnapshot would stop and ask for a password, making it impossible to run with cron.
Eventually, I found the rsnapshot.conf doesn't point to the correct(?) SSH.

Change the cmd_ssh line to read

cmd_ssh		/usr/bin/ssh
And it all works again. :)

Hope this helps someone
Thank you! I was having he same problem. I had rsnapshot running from a command line and asking for the password, and also had SSH configured for command line login without the password, but then spent ages looking at permissions trying to get rsnapshot to behave without the password.

Changing the SSH command as you suggested sorted it.

I think rsnapshot generates it's own keys from its own SSH version on install?
However all the guides for configuring it on the QNAP show copying the key which I think is created when the NAS was first configured.

I suppose this means it is comparing the wrong key, and thus failing to log in. I haven't tried copying the other across.
LosMintos
New here

Post by LosMintos »

How to automatically unmount an external drive after backup?

I successfully installed a script to unmount an external drive via command line (http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?p=324402). However, I can't figure out, how to add the script/the command line to the rsync cronjob. Any help is appreciated!

:)

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”