[HOWTO] Daily incremental backup with rsnapshot

Discussion on remote replication.
philled
Starting out

Re: rsnapshot: howto guide for TS-x39

Post by philled »

crushdepth wrote:Please see the revised howto in post below, I have removed the old version from this post as it contained an error
For anyone looking at this more recently, please be aware that that QPKG-IPKG package manager referred to in the PDF file attached to this thread is now deprecated. QPKG-IPKG has been replaced by Entware-ng which uses OPKG as it's package manager. This will provide you with a much more up to date version of rsnapshot than you would get using QPKG-IPKG.

So step 1) in the procedure outlined in the PDF is now deprecated (even though it still works you won't get an up to date version of rsnapshot), but steps 2) and beyond are still relevant.

For all the info on Entware-ng see https://apps.qnap.community/11-community/10-entware-ng and then http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=351&t=116737
crushdepth
Getting the hang of things

Re: [HOWTO] Daily incremental backup with rsnapshot

Post by crushdepth »

Hello everyone :)

I have updated the HOWTO as I finally bought a new NAS (TS-453b). Please see the revised version, which is attached.

If you want to make snapshots of another QNAP NAS, maybe you will find it more convenient to use the snapshot feature that ships with the Backup Station app. But if you want to make snapshots of any other (non-QNAP) machines such as your webserver, I think rsnapshot is a much better way to go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsantala
First post

Post by jsantala »

Attachments give "The selected attachment does not exist anymore.", are these now out of date or what's the status? Perhaps this could be on the Wiki which doesn't require registration to read and is easier to find: https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Rsnapshot (Those short instructions look out of date as well, since they talk about ipkg!)
virtualdj
Experience counts

Post by virtualdj »

I think there's a problem with the forum because even Tapatalk doesn't work and gives errors.
crushdepth
Getting the hang of things

Post by crushdepth »

I've updated the rsnapshot guide for 2020, based on setting it up on a TS-453D. See updated link in signature. If you find any errors in the file please let me know. Looks like the forum killed the old links some time ago, sorry.
Qmann
Easy as a breeze

Post by Qmann »

Thanks for the updates!!
Model: TVS-872XT 64GB (Crucial 64GB Kit CT2K32G4SFD8266)
2 x 1TB XPG 1TB NVMe (ASX8200PNP-1TT-C) [RAID-1]
5 x 16TB EXOS [RAID-5]
Borg Backup running to an offisite pi, AND to the local TS-569L
Model: TS-569L Borg server for backups
6 x 8TB Ironwolf [RAID-5]
Qotom-Q355G4 Fanless Mini Micro PC running pSense in front of everything
haproxy for anything inside the LAN

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”