[HOWTO] Daily incremental backup with rsnapshot

Discussion on remote replication.
DeepBlueDiver
New here

Re: [HOWTO] Daily incremental backup with rsnapshot

Post by DeepBlueDiver »

Updating to firmware 3.4.0 will break your rsnapshot setup.
Read http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=40959
micke
Experience counts

Post by micke »

DeepBlueDiver wrote:Updating to firmware 3.4.0 will break your rsnapshot setup.
Read http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=40959
[The link is about the changed home directories in /etc/passwd]

I have my own configuration for rsnapshot, so I don't know how easy it would be to modify the configuration in crushdepth's HOWTO, but instead of depending on the default location of root's home directory you could specify the location of a configuration file for ssh and then include the required information in that file.

For example, in your rsnapshot.conf file you could add a line like this

Code: Select all

ssh_args        -o BatchMode=yes -F /etc/config/ssh/rsnapshot_config
The /etc/config/ssh/rsnapshot_config could contain something like this (update locations according to where you have stored the files)

Host *
  UserKnownHostsFile /etc/config/ssh/known_hosts
  IdentityFile       /etc/config/ssh/id_rsa
Now, rsnapshot should pick up the correct settings for ssh when it is run.

/Mike
DeepBlueDiver
New here

Post by DeepBlueDiver »

Good idea, Mike. This should make rsnapshot independent from changes in home dir location in future firmwares.
Those following Crushdepth's HOWTO should edit ssh_args in /opt/etc/rsnapshot.conf and follow Mike's directions.
peace_man
New here

Post by peace_man »

Hi!

I tried to run rsnapshot with BatchMode=yes, but that didn't help. After the firmware update running ssh with "BatchMode yes"-option doesn't work at all and I can run rsnapshot only by entering the passphrase. I also tried to run

"ssh -vvv -o "BatchMode yes" admin@192.168.1.2"
and it returned

"Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive)."
. (Logfile attached)

Does anybody know what's the specific problem with ssh after the firmware update and how it can be solved so that rsnapshot is working again ?

Thanks!
crushdepth
Getting the hang of things

Post by crushdepth »

Please see this thread, its a simple fix. However, a better fix may be listed a few posts above in this thread, but I haven't tested it yet. The issue is that the firmware update changed the path of the home directory, so its looking for the .ssh files in the wrong place.
Ceco
Starting out

Post by Ceco »

Hi.

Here is a hint for anyone who wants to have "Postpone the restart/shutdown schedule when a replication job is in progress" option
to work with rsnapshot. This works for my TS-219 and probably other systems. Just replace HDA_DATA with your device's data dir.

1) Create "scripts" directory on HDA_DATA and copy original /etc/init.d/wait_RR into it

# cd /share/HDA_DATA
# mkdir scripts
# cp /etc/init.d/wait_RR /share/HDA_DATA/scripts
2) Now edit /share/HDA_DATA/scripts/wait_RR.
Replace

/bin/ps | /bin/grep /usr/bin | /bin/grep "rsync "
With

/bin/ps | /bin/grep "rsync " | /bin/grep -v "grep "
3) Rename original /etc/init.d/wait_RR and symlink to new one

# cd /etc/init.d
# mv wait_RR wait_RR.orig
# ln -s /share/HDA_DATA/scripts/wait_RR wait_RR
4) Add Step 3 into your autorun script to preserve your new /etc/init.d/wait_RR after reboot.
Refer to http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Running_Your_ ... at_Startup for more info

EDIT: grep fix to exclude grep process itself. Thanx to Eduardo.
Last edited by Ceco on Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TS-419U @ Work (4.3.3)
TS-431U @ Work (4.3.3)
TS-219P+ @ Home (4.3.3)
paolomarino
Easy as a breeze

Post by paolomarino »

I have read of a RSnapshot Qkpg:
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=44555
It will be a nice develop :)
Happy Qnap TS-509 Ultra (Intel E7500 + 2GB RAM + 20TB WD RED) Owner :)
Happy Qnap TS-870 Ultra (Intel I7-3770T + 16GB RAM + 64TB WD RED) Owner :)
smholmes
New here

Post by smholmes »

crushdepth wrote:Please see this thread, its a simple fix. However, a better fix may be listed a few posts above in this thread, but I haven't tested it yet. The issue is that the firmware update changed the path of the home directory, so its looking for the .ssh files in the wrong place.
What's the fix? I'm not seeing it.
Magnus8513
Getting the hang of things

Post by Magnus8513 »

The "home-directory problem" can be solved with a symlink:

ln -s /root /share/homes/admin
---
2 x TS-110, WD RE3 WD1002FBYS 1TB // Seagate 7200.11 ST3500320AS 0.5 TB f/w: SD25
2x TS-119P+, WD RE4 WD1003FBYX 1TB
2x TS-119P II, WD RE4 WD1003FBYX 1TB // Seagate 7200.14 ST2000DM001 2 TB f/w: CC4H
f/w: 3.6.1; SABNZB+ 0.6.14; Twonkey 6.0.38; rsnap 3.1.2;
virtualdj
Experience counts

Post by virtualdj »

I followed crushdepth guide on rsnapshot and it works well (thanks!) and I backup to /opt/var/rsnapshot.
Now the question: is it possible to mount the backup folder under a subfolder such as /share/Public/Backup and make this mount read-only (so all users can view and recover files without messing the backup)?

How can I do this?
smholmes
New here

Post by smholmes »

It's still broken for me. Adding the symlink for the home directory worked, and key-based authentication is working for me when I try to log into to my target server from the shell, but whenever I try to run rsnapshot, I keep getting a password prompt. That means in wont' work automatically with my cron jobs. Any idea what I might be missing?
micke
Experience counts

Post by micke »

virtualdj wrote:is it possible to mount the backup folder under a subfolder such as /share/Public/Backup and make this mount read-only (so all users can view and recover files without messing the backup)?
You can re-mount the directory read-only at a new location using the following commands,

/bin/mount --bind /opt/var/rsnapshot /share/Public/Backup
/bin/mount -o remount,ro /share/Public/Backup
The permissions of the file system won't change, so whether users can access files in the backup depends on the settings in /opt/var/rsnapshot.

/Mike
virtualdj
Experience counts

Post by virtualdj »

@ micke
Thanks, actually I already tried the 2 commands you have suggested to me (I found them using Google here) but they didn't work because a normal user was able to delete the files in the backup.

Maybe I was missing this:
micke wrote:The permissions of the file system won't change, so whether users can access files in the backup depends on the settings in /opt/var/rsnapshot.
But, look, these are my permissions:

[/opt/var] # ls -l
drwxr-xr-x    3 admin    administ     4096 Feb 18 20:34 cache/
drwxr-xr-x    2 admin    administ     4096 May  3 17:17 empty/
drwxr-xr-x    2 admin    administ     4096 May 24 20:29 log/
drwxr-xr-x    4 admin    administ     4096 May 24 21:12 rsnapshot/
drwxr-xr-x    2 admin    administ     4096 May 24 21:12 run/
drwxr-xr-x    3 admin    administ     4096 May 16  2010 spool/
drwxr-xr-x    3 admin    administ     4096 Sep 15  2010 state/
So apart from root/admin, other users shouldn't be able to delete files; anyway, inside the backup, the things are different (a sample follows):

[/opt/var] # ls -l rsnapshot/hourly.0/localhost/share/Public/script/
-rwxrwxrwx    2 admin    administ      735 Nov 24 21:04 alreadyrunning.sh*
drwxrwxrwx    2 web      everyone     4096 May 24 21:12 empty/
-rwxrwxrwx    2 admin    administ     8644 Dec  7 21:33 jdn.sh*
Under that folder, we see 2 files created by admin and 1 created by the user "web".
However, the user "web" CAN delete everything and that's what I want to prevent. How can I do that?

Should I have to change permissions for all the files in the backup? That isn't so easy, because everytime a new backup is created the permissions have to be changed too, so I'm looking for an easier solution. The article that I linked before mentions mounting using NFS and localhost, but I don't know how to do that on QNAP (i.e. not using the webend as the folder is not shared and I want the "folder read-only view" inside another shared older). Please, can you enlighten me?
micke
Experience counts

Post by micke »

virtualdj wrote: Thanks, actually I already tried the 2 commands you have suggested to me (I found them using Google here) but they didn't work because a normal user was able to delete the files in the backup.
Note that you must run both commands in the specified order or it most likely won't work. I have tried it on my TS-239 Pro and it worked just fine (i.e. it is not possible to remove any files from the read-only mount point; not even the admin user can remove files).
virtualdj wrote: However, the user "web" CAN delete everything and that's what I want to prevent. How can I do that?
By making the file system read-only and that is exactly what the two mount commands (should) do ;-)

When I wrote that "the permissions of the file system won't change" I meant that if a user e.g. cannot read a file in /opt/var/rsnapshot then that will still be the case in the new (read-only) mount point.

/Mike
virtualdj
Experience counts

Post by virtualdj »

micke wrote:I have tried it on my TS-239 Pro and it worked just fine (i.e. it is not possible to remove any files from the read-only mount point; not even the admin user can remove files).
After I've read your post, I've tried again. The commands are written in the correct order and the mount works:

# mount
/proc on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,size=32M)
none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/sda4 on /mnt/ext type ext3 (rw)
/dev/md9 on /mnt/HDA_ROOT type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sda3 on /share/HDA_DATA type ext4 (rw,usrjquota=aquota.user,jqfmt=vfsv0,user_xattr,data=ordered,nodelalloc,noacl)
tmpfs on /.eaccelerator.tmp type tmpfs (rw,size=32M)
/share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/Optware/var/rsnapshot on /share/HDA_DATA/Public/Backup type none (ro,bind)
Removing files through SSH with "admin" user under /share/Public/Backup/daily.0 doesn't work:

[/share/Public/Backup/daily.0/localhost/share/Public/script] # rm jdn.sh
rm: remove `jdn.sh'? y
rm: unable to remove `jdn.sh': Read-only file system
But if I access through Samba (on a Windows machine) the Public folder and go into the subfolders Backup/daily.0/localhost/share/Public/script, even if I'm logged with the user 'web' (and not admin!) I can remove the files.

So it seems that the read-only "flag" doesn't apply to Samba (and that's the reason why I was able to delete the files before, I didn't try under SSH). Now it's becoming weird... :?
Unfortunately, I would like to have the folder visible under Samba (so that the other users can browse the backups without messing them).

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”