Tertiary site replication possible?

Discussion on remote replication.
sbarrett847
New here

Tertiary site replication possible?

Post by sbarrett847 »

I'm completely new to QNAP and I'm looking to see if Tertiary site replication is possible? I'll try to explain what I need to do.

I will have 3 remote site NASs (5tb each) that I'll need to replicate back to a HQ site NAS (30-35TB) Real-time replication is desirable but scheduled replication will do. I'm pretty sure QNAP will do this without issue.

However I then also need to replicate the HQ NAS to an Identical 35TB NAS off-site. Can QNAP support this?

Also what is the best replication method for this? I gather there are a few, each with their own quirks.
sbarrett847
New here

Re: Tertiary site replication possible?

Post by sbarrett847 »

Should have mentioned the models I'm looking at above.

3x QNAP TVS-863+ (8GB RAM) ( 4 x 4TB WD RED PRO + 2 x 525GB MX300 SSD and
2x QNAP TS-1263U-4G 72TB (12 x 6TB WD RED PRO) 12 Bay Rack with 4GB RAM
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)
sbarrett847 wrote:I will have 3 remote site NASs (5tb each) that I'll need to replicate back to a HQ site NAS (30-35TB) Real-time replication is desirable but scheduled replication will do. I'm pretty sure QNAP will do this without issue.

However I then also need to replicate the HQ NAS to an Identical 35TB NAS off-site. Can QNAP support this?
Yes, this is all possible.
sbarrett847 wrote:Also what is the best replication method for this? I gather there are a few, each with their own quirks.
Umm ... that question is a problem - the sort that leads to arguments over the 'best' method. :DD

To get you started, I suggest you navigate through the QTS Control Panel and find the Backup Station app, and checkout a backup method called RTRR. It seems to be the one QNAP is putting the most effort into and it's quite flexible.

Good luck! :geek:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 »

what type and speed of the links do you have?

Thats a lot of data to replicate - i would pre seed the backup first to save waiting a long time for the replication to catch up

if its over the internet then rsync was designed for slow connections

if you have business links of some sort then rtrr would be better

both can be found in backup station - rtrr supports syncing to a schedule/realtime
Tim

TS-853A(16GB): - 4.3.4.0483 - Static volume - Raid5 - 8 x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
Windows Server + StableBit Drivepool and Scanner ~115 TB Backup Server
TS-412 & TS-459 Pro II: Retired
Clients: 3 x Windows 10 Pro(64bit)
sbarrett847
New here

Post by sbarrett847 »

OneCD wrote: Umm ... that question is a problem - the sort that leads to arguments over the 'best' method. :DD
Hahah yeah, I guessed as much after my initial read over the forum :)

Thank you both, kinda looking forward to playing with it now, ehh, I mean setting it up for the client, of course ¬.¬

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”