NAS to NAS Remote Replication Failure

Discussion on remote replication.
pah96
Starting out

NAS to NAS Remote Replication Failure

Post by pah96 »

Hello!

I have 2 Qnap NAS with problems by NAS to NAS replications since upgrade.

1) TS-410 (NAS1)
2) TS-412 (NAS2)

Both have been upgraded from 4.1.0 to version 4.2.6. First upgrade was performed an NAS2 (Backup) about 6 or eight weeks ago. Everything was running fine for 3 or more weeks. Two weeks ago the 2nd box has been upgraded. Ok so far.

Particularly the NAS to NAS replications during night hours get failed. I thought it was a temporary issue. I got this error 3 times now and I wonder why:

Code: Select all

Server Name: NAS1
 IP Address: 192.168.1.3
 Date/Time: 2017/06/18 03:00:33
 Level:  Error
 [Remote Replication] (Sync) NAME failed: Authentication failed. Please check the user name and password.
I'm getting this only on one (last) of 6 jobs running nightly from 00:00 till 3 o'clock! The others running fine. I didn't change this jobs since 3 years and they have been running without any problem every day. This jobs are running on the back to back connection (2nd NIC) and separate IP addresses. Manually it works!

But there was a power outage some days after the 2nd upgrade. Because of my UPS the NAS stayed up. Except the switches. It took a little while before I recognized that the boxes "switched over" and set their default route (!) over the back to back connection that also stayed up all the time indeed after the switched network was up and running again. I changed this back and I seemes to work for some days.

But I think some connections from or to this separate IP network (only the NAS are in there) now going to the "new" old default route which I can see on my firewall. Connection which in theory could not be seen there.

Can anyone follow this issue? And can anyone give me a hint?

Best regards,
pah96

p.s. and no, I didn't reboot the boxes since their upgrades!
TS-451+ with 4x4TB (RAID5) QTS 5.0.1
TS-410 with 4x3TB (RAID5) QTS 4.2.6
TS-412 with 4x2TB (Singles) QTS 4.2.6
P3R
Guru

Re: NAS to NAS Remote Replication Failure

Post by P3R »

pah96 wrote:p.s. and no, I didn't reboot the boxes since their upgrades!
Well you should so do that.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”