RTRR Replication error

Discussion on remote replication.
YCAT74
New here

RTRR Replication error

Post by YCAT74 »

Guys,

I have recently updated my NAS firmware on both my units and renewed my RTRR real time two way sync. However I have come across an number of issues.

The first is they do not appear to complete the synchronisation in full completing approximating 60% of the data volume (1.5 TB) on each seperate and jobs. Is the volume of data to great.

Secondly I had the opportunity to get both NAS units on the same network briefly going that this would complete quicker but again there was a failure.

Finally although the system suggests that the syncs are complete as previously mentioned the files are not fully replicated. However what is more of a concern is that the sync jobs initially appear to be disabled but also they them disappear from the sync jobs and the name Local host appears rather than the name I had previously allocated. Also the individual folders jobs man's disappear and the only way that they can be identified is by reading through the logs.

It seemed to happen only recently after the latest firmware update. Is anyone else having similar issues? Had this situation occurred before, apologies if so I have tried to find similar posts but without success.

Any guidance as ever is appreciated.

Chris.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Model: TS-869 Pro Firmware: QNAP 4.2.1 build 20160601
Operation System various OS Language: English
Number of HDDs: 8 SATA HDD model: 4 x 8Tb ST8000NM0055-1RM112 (SATA); 2 x 4Tb ST4000NM0033 (Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD); 2 x 3Tb ST3000NM0033 (Constellation ES.3)
HDD capacity: 21.80Tb RAID 5 (4 x 8Tb Only)
Services enabled: DDNS, FTP, NFS, VPN plus others
External devices, 1 x 1TB Seagate Freeagent HDD
NAS connection speed: 152Mb MTU: 1492 (I think)
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: RTRR Replication error

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

are you using backup station or the newer replacement hybrid backup sync? for starters.

and what firmware exactly, build etc.

Also create a support ticket
helpdesk.qnap.com
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
dulcifium
Been there, done that

Post by dulcifium »

Same issue here. RTRR jobs marked as complete but several directories and files missing. Also INCREDIBLY slow.

1. FTP test can transfer at over 100MB/s but RTRR goes at about 17MB/s
2. RTRR changes timestamps.
3. RTRR misses files silently.
QNAP TS-639 Pro (3.8.1 Build 20121205) | 6 x 3 TB (Toshiba DT01ACA300 firmware MX6OABB0) | 12 TB RAID-6
Both shared over single port GbE and wifi router to Linux, Android, Windows, macOS and NVIDIA Shield
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

@dulcifium, it was asked in the second post of the thread that you at least explain what RTRR-application you use.

As RTRR can be used in many ways, you also need to explain in much more detail what it is you do and with what equipment if you want anybody to even try to comment.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
dulcifium
Been there, done that

Post by dulcifium »

I thought only QNAP had RTRR? I'm using the built in RTRR trying with FTP. Actually, perhaps it's best to see my other post where I go into detail about all the equipment. Anything else I need to mention please just ask. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=49080
QNAP TS-639 Pro (3.8.1 Build 20121205) | 6 x 3 TB (Toshiba DT01ACA300 firmware MX6OABB0) | 12 TB RAID-6
Both shared over single port GbE and wifi router to Linux, Android, Windows, macOS and NVIDIA Shield
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

dulcifium wrote:I thought only QNAP had RTRR?
Yes but there's Backup Station/RTRR and Hybrid Backup Sync/RTRR, which are different applications.
I'm using the built in RTRR...
I assume then that means Backup Station/RTRR...

Some of the questions that still remains unanswered are exactly what RTRR configuration you use, what the logs show, what equipment you run RTRR on and what backup destination you have?
Actually, perhaps it's best to see my other post where I go into detail about all the equipment.
Remember that others spend their free time here, you need to make your questions interesting and easy to answer to get attention. If those that you want to assist you need to search for information about what you've done and what you have, your requests are very unlikely to get any relevant answers.

At best someone as me now bothers to ask you about the information you could easily have added already when asking the question to make your post more likely to get answered. I'm now making my second post here to again ask for the information necessary to even think about what your issue could be.
I can't find anything there about your backup configuration or equipment used... :S
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
dulcifium
Been there, done that

Post by dulcifium »

P3R wrote:
dulcifium wrote:I thought only QNAP had RTRR?
Yes but there's Backup Station/RTRR and Hybrid Backup Sync/RTRR, which are different applications.
I'm using the built in RTRR...
I assume then that means Backup Station/RTRR...

Some of the questions that still remains unanswered are exactly what RTRR configuration you use, what the logs show, what equipment you run RTRR on and what backup destination you have?
Actually, perhaps it's best to see my other post where I go into detail about all the equipment.
Remember that others spend their free time here, you need to make your questions interesting and easy to answer to get attention. If those that you want to assist you need to search for information about what you've done and what you have, your requests are very unlikely to get any relevant answers.

At best someone as me now bothers to ask you about the information you could easily have added already when asking the question to make your post more likely to get answered. I'm now making my second post here to again ask for the information necessary to even think about what your issue could be.
I can't find anything there about your backup configuration or equipment used... :S
Sorry, I seem to have pasted the wrong link. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=134573 is correct.

I appreciate your help. To attempt to answer your questions, I'm using RTRR in "Remote replication" on the 639 in my signature and Hybrid Backup Sync on the 1079 in my signature. I'm not aware of any other options for these two machines.

I don't have many logs for the reasons already explained in that thread. I'm going away for some time and before I leave I really want to set something up which will a) work correctly while I'm gone and b) be nearly finished when I get back.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

dulcifium wrote:Sorry, I seem to have pasted the wrong link. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=134573 is correct.
I will answer in the thread as I find that more appropriate than here.

Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

theres a new firmware, check if that helps. lots of bug fixes
https://www.qnap.com/en-us/download
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
YCAT74
New here

Post by YCAT74 »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:are you using backup station or the newer replacement hybrid backup sync? for starters.

and what firmware exactly, build etc.

Also create a support ticket
helpdesk.qnap.com
I am using Backup Station working in Two Way Synch mode. Firmware version 4.3.3.0238 from 3rd July 2017.

Regards,
Chris
Model: TS-869 Pro Firmware: QNAP 4.2.1 build 20160601
Operation System various OS Language: English
Number of HDDs: 8 SATA HDD model: 4 x 8Tb ST8000NM0055-1RM112 (SATA); 2 x 4Tb ST4000NM0033 (Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD); 2 x 3Tb ST3000NM0033 (Constellation ES.3)
HDD capacity: 21.80Tb RAID 5 (4 x 8Tb Only)
Services enabled: DDNS, FTP, NFS, VPN plus others
External devices, 1 x 1TB Seagate Freeagent HDD
NAS connection speed: 152Mb MTU: 1492 (I think)

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”