Backup Station - confused with verbiage

Discussion on remote replication.
itteam
Know my way around

Backup Station - confused with verbiage

Post by itteam »

I am no clearer after reading the docs, or" perusing several threads :(

Can someone translate/reword or explain these 2 bolded options:
"Backup Server" (== to me I equate this heading to "enable services")
- Rsynch Server:
[ ] Enable backup from a remote server to the local host
[ ] Allow remote rsync server to back up data to NAS

I can't distinguish the fine nuances - these read the same to me!... allow rsynch from elsewhere to here
Yet, the second checkbox only becomes available to you if you have ticked the first, so it must be some kind of subset
Why the words 'local host' vs 'NAS' - don't they both mean 'this device' ?
To get here I selected in the left column "Rsynch Server" but the page says "Backup Files to NAS or Rsync" - should this be interpreted as
"Back up Files to NAS" _OR_ "Rsync" implying "back up" applies to other non-rsync methods ?
or that "backup" applies to any method including rsync, but not RTRR which is enabled on the separate screen

This QNAP has that first option on: "Enable backup from a remote server to the local host" - is it needed to be enabled if
the only 2 jobs I see are in RTRR:
- copying one folder to another on this QNAP
- the QNAP reaching out and pulling files from an offsite FTP server (it is not the remote server pushing the files here)

Is there anything outside of Backup Station I need to look for to see what else could be using this option?
[ TS-873U-RP @HQ ][ TS-220 + TS-221 +TS-419 U II @Satellite branches ] [ TS-212P + HS453-DX @Home ]
itteam
Know my way around

Re: Backup Station - confused with verbiage

Post by itteam »

ooooh ooooh - is this correct ?

[ ] Enable rsynch service (this allows backups between remote servers and this NAS)
[ ] and allow remote servers to initiate backup jobs/push files out to here (as opposed to only allowing this NAS to initiate and pull in files)
[ TS-873U-RP @HQ ][ TS-220 + TS-221 +TS-419 U II @Satellite branches ] [ TS-212P + HS453-DX @Home ]
dougand
First post

Re: Backup Station - confused with verbiage

Post by dougand »

I think you may be right with the second post. I have the same question after starting to setup a new QNAP last night. Surprised no one has taking the time to respond to your inquiry in a months time.

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”