Qnap to remote Synology sync

Discussion on remote replication.
mdelrossi
Starting out

Qnap to remote Synology sync

Post by mdelrossi »

Hello,
I hope I'm posting in the correct forum, otherwise moderators please move.

I'm a photographer with a lot of images as well as business and personal business documents. I'd like to have both devices have the same info on them.

I have a Synology 1813+ that I was planning on using as a backup at a remote location.
I've already been able to set up remote sync jobs via Hybrid Backup Sync, on the local LAN with both the 672xt and the 1813+ on the same network in the same room to start the sync process.

The 672XT will be at location A, and the 1813+ will live at location B, 3 hours away.

Now, I have a PPTP VPN setup on location A router, and the client on location B router. it works fine for my current uses.

The questions I have are:

1) Should I upgrade the VPN tp open VPN or IPSec? for security

2) Should I setup a VPN on the 672XT?

3) How can I see the 672XT on the network from location B so I can sync? I have google chrome remote desktop setup so I can control the 672XT when I'm at location B.

4) Should I sell the Synology and get another Qnap? if so which one (4 bay at least)?

5) Should i just forget it and carry hard drives back and forth?

Thanks in advance for all your help
TVS-672XT 4.4.0.0931 RAID 5 Static volume 4X Iron Wolf Seagate 10TB
Don
Guru

Re: Qnap to remote Synology sync

Post by Don »

1) - Yes. PPTP is not secure as it has been compromised.

2) - Best to set up the VPN between routers.

3) - Both locations should be on different subnets. When the VPN is established between sites the routers will will take care of everything.

4) - Up to you. If the Synology is meeting your space and performance needs then why replace it.

5) - I wouldn't want to, do you?
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
mdelrossi
Starting out

Re: Qnap to remote Synology sync

Post by mdelrossi »

Thanks.
I'll do a test soon.
TVS-672XT 4.4.0.0931 RAID 5 Static volume 4X Iron Wolf Seagate 10TB

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”