RTRR two way sync folder issue

Discussion on remote replication.
srhammond
First post

RTRR two way sync folder issue

Post by srhammond »

So I have set up a two-way sync between two offices and this is works fine except for when folders are deleted or moved. I have set the policy option to delete extra files but there does not seem to be an equivalent for folders.

For example, if a folder is deleted for office 1 then all the files are correctly removed during the sync to office 2 but then the empty folders at office 2 will be replicated back to office 1.

Does anyone have a solution for this?
thomas.dahl
Getting the hang of things

Re: RTRR two way sync folder issue

Post by thomas.dahl »

I gave up with this whole RTRR methodology. HBS3 uses RTRR when synching folders (they do not tell you this of course as this would help the user) and as a result sync is very slow and you get BS results like you have had. I went from syncing taking weeks to less than 1 hour.

I ended up making one QNAP a back-up of the first, and using one way sync to keep it up to date. Users can log into the first qnap, even if over the internet, and it is pretty fast. You can then move the second qnap to anywhere else.. It is only a backup. Die hards will tell you this is all wrong, but it was the only way to sync my qnaps. 2 way sync was due to take 53 days...

Should something go wrong with the first qnap you can switch to the second one very quickly. It is hot and running. But of course you will have lost anything that had not been backed-up.

I would suggest a third backup using a USB drive on either qnap for added safety. 1-2-3 Rule. But this can run all day long on your first qnap for those critical files that you cannot afford to loose.

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”