TS to TS Rsync or RTRR fails consistently

Discussion on remote replication.
sfinate
First post

TS to TS Rsync or RTRR fails consistently

Post by sfinate »

Hello;

I'm having a problem syncing between a TS-809 (4.2.6) and a TS-1232XU-RP (4.5.1.1495) over a WAN link. I have a VPN tunnel established at the firewall level from site A (the 809) to site B (the 1232).

Both RTRR and Rsync jobs, when initiated through HBS, fail randomly. Sometimes after a few hours, sometimes after a few minutes, always the same error, regardless if I do a 809->1232 push or a 1232<-809 pull. The RsyncRR script indicates that this may be a bug:

Code: Select all

ERROR_DESC[53]="Encountered error from rsync protocol data stream. Check storage space at destination." # bug 112665 , rsyncd restart
If I mount the same volumes on a Linux workstation via NFS and do an rsync between mounts, there is no issue, and the sync works fine.

This seems to be a well-known problem (at least, I've seen it discussed here on the forums and elsewhere on the web).

Ideas? I'm completely open to starting a ticket with QNAP.

Thanks!
P3R
Guru

Re: TS to TS Rsync or RTRR fails consistently

Post by P3R »

I run nightly RTRR backup (push) from a modern Qnap to an old one over a VPN and it works reliably. Generally speaking having the data flow from the modern to the old as I do is much better as backwards compatibility is normally always supported unless specifically mentioned. Forward compatibility, from an old version of a software to a modern, is almost never supported though so that's much more of a gamble. Maybe you could switch your systems around, having the TS-809 as the receiving unit?

Previously I've been successful with reporting backwards compatibility bugs for my backup and having them fixed but by today when your very old TS-809 and my TS-459 Pro II finally went EoL and became totally unsupported, I don't expect to have anything fixed in the old one. I will run it as long as it still work and have arranged for a newer replacement Qnap once my remote backup job fails. You could of course try to open a ticket but I would be extremely surprised if they still accepted anything related to a TS-809. I'm sorry... :cry:
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”