Sync several QNAPs

Discussion on remote replication.
nigelgourley
Starting out

Sync several QNAPs

Post by nigelgourley »

I'm looking for the best solution to sync 3 or 4 QNAPs together - I want realtime sync so as soon as something is added or changed it's replicated across the devices. The devices will be remote so via internet

There seems to be resilio - goodsync but also Qcentral and HBS. Or something else?

It's not obvious - to me anyway what the difference between HBS and central is in this situation either.

Any advice?

Thanks
Vitto61
New here

Re: Sync several QNAPs

Post by Vitto61 »

I'm not an expert on the matter and I don't know your needs, but a similar solution does not keep you safe from external attack.
I mean, in case of a ransomware attack (as recently happened) you are goign to loose all data because the affected file would be replicated on all your devices.

I would prefer a solution with one sync and one snapshot backup or something similar. So you are always able to restore files at a very recent configuration.
dnsplus
Starting out

Post by dnsplus »

I would say, sync them all to the same cloud file storage repository, and use HybridMount volumes to do it. that way, you have a local file share on your network which is backed by the cloud storage repository. Cache a smaller amount of data locally (only what's been accessed recetly), and when files are updated on one NAS, the cloud gets updated, and those updates will be available to the others.
========================================
1x TS-563
2x TS-859 Pro+
TrueNAS server with 125 600GB SAS 10K drives
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

I use rsync to keep a number of NAS units in sync as. I want users at each endpoint to be able to access the data locally for expediency. They are connected via VPN (running on the routers) to ensure security. Depending on the frequency and quantity of data changes, size of files, internet speed etc, this may or may not be an option for you sue case.

Based on your original post, your interest is in syncing and not backup. Although similar in some cases, the "solution" and approach is truly different depending on your end goal.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”