Remote server Rsync to QNAP TS-439......?

Discussion on remote replication.
bruceleeon
Know my way around

Re: Remote server Rsync to QNAP TS-439......?

Post by bruceleeon »

How about mounting NFS and doing the incremental backups instead (through cpanel again). Rsync will overwrite files... if one is corrupted or changed accidentally no recover. Incremental may be better.
Visit Computingondemand.com for the latest PC News and Reviews
NAS Reviews: http://computingondemand.com/category/s ... s-storage/
NAS Benchmarking Database: http://computingondemand.com/test-bench ... -database/

I bet you are the type of person that says things like "NIC Cards"
technophil
Getting the hang of things

Post by technophil »

You might be right,
but rsync is more easy to manage and QNAP has already the graphic interface done!
Why is not working?! :(
колбаскин
Starting out

Post by колбаскин »

+1
Please add the ability to copy files from a remote directory to the local :?
TS- 419PII
yatesd
Getting the hang of things

Post by yatesd »

I will say that I had an awful time figuring out how to Rsync between my 469L and my brother's Synology. I had everything configured in Rsync (under remote replication & backup server) within the backup station and had enabled my brother as a user with his own folder (and he did the same).

Opening port 873 on my router solved my issue. I went into "MyQNAPCloud" or you can also type "router" in the help of the online GUI. Once "MyQNAPCloud" was launched, I went back into auto configuration and realized that port 873 was not checked by default. Obviously, the other way would be to manually enable the port on your router.

Make sure this is done on both ends of the network!

Good Luck

BTW, I am using 4.1 beta1
--
Doug
atrocity
Starting out

Post by atrocity »

Hello,

i re-open this post, because CPanel added a great feature allowing incremental Rsync backups.
I did a try, enabling Rsync on one of our Qnap, giving a new user and password, but the CPanel Rsync feature answer always:

Error: Validation for transport “RsyncNAS” failed: Can't ssh to 192.168.0.111: unable to establish master SSH connection: bad password or master process exited unexpectedly at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Transport/Files/Rsync.pm line 256.

On the Qnap connections logs, i see our Rsync user opening a SSH connection on port 22.
I can't understand why the CPanel Rsync backup script try to connect using SSH on port 22 instead of the Rsync port 873...

Is anybody able to configure and use this new CPanel Rsync feature ?

Thanks to let me know
Best regards
NO, RAID is NOT a backup

100 - TS-869L - 3Gb ram - running 8x ST4000VN000 (8x4Tb in raid 5)
101 - TS-451+ - 2Gb ram - running 4x WD20 (4x2Tb in raid 5)
102 - TS-639 - 1Gb ram - running 6x WD20 (6x2Tb in raid 5)
103 - TS-831x - 4Gb ram - running 8x WD40 (8x4Tb in raid 6)
104 - TS-459 Pro II - 4Gb ram - running 4x WD40 (4x4Tb in raid 5)
105 - TS-853A - 4Rb ram - running 8x WD40 (8x4Tb in raid 5)
ynorecex
New here

Post by ynorecex »

atrocity wrote:Hello,

i re-open this post, because CPanel added a great feature allowing incremental Rsync backups.
I did a try, enabling Rsync on one of our Qnap, giving a new user and password, but the CPanel Rsync feature answer always:

Error: Validation for transport “RsyncNAS” failed: Can't ssh to 192.168.0.111: unable to establish master SSH connection: bad password or master process exited unexpectedly at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Transport/Files/Rsync.pm line 256.

On the Qnap connections logs, i see our Rsync user opening a SSH connection on port 22.
I can't understand why the CPanel Rsync backup script try to connect using SSH on port 22 instead of the Rsync port 873...

Is anybody able to configure and use this new CPanel Rsync feature ?

Thanks to let me know
Best regards
I have the same situation. I would like to run incremental backups of cPanel servers for QNAP and I have the same problem as you.

I tried to use the cpremote plugin and even though it is not successful, I can send the files to QNAP, but in a very slow way even on the same network, and besides, the cPanel plugin can not list the backups already sent to the QNAP.
tletourneau
Starting out

Post by tletourneau »

I was able to use my TVS-871 as a rsync over SSH destination. I was not able to get it working using backup station's rsync though. What I ended up doing is creating a new administrative user in the NAS and allowing the user to login to the NAS remotely using SSH. I also changed the ssh port on the NAS to a non-standard port and created a port forwarding rule in my firewall specifying the source IP and port to the destination IP and port. Once done I created the destination in cPanel (I use JetBackup), I was then able to backup to my NAS using SSH although it does put the files in the homes folder at least it works. I would have preferred to use the integrated rsync backup destination in the NAS but I could not get it to connect.

I also had to add the destination to Media Folder in Multimedia Management and disable thumbnail that photo and video to prevent the system from indexing the folder and creating thumbnails for the backups.
Thanks,
Tom
---------------------
NAS : TVS-871-i7-4790S (upgraded from PT) - 16GB RAM
Firmware: 4.4.3.1439
8x Toshiba 4TB HDWQ140XZSTA - 1 Storage Pool - RAID-5; QM2-2P with 2x Samsung 250GB EVO 960 NVMe automatic SSD caching
NAS : TS-963X - 16GB RAM
Firmware: 4.4.3.1439
5x Seagate 3TB ST3000DM001 - 1 Storage Pool - RAID-5, RAID-5; 4x Samsung 120GB SSD automatic SSD caching
ynorecex
New here

Post by ynorecex »

I was able to configure the connection of a cPanel server with the NAS in Rsync mode, but the problem is that if I set up to write the backup in the path: /share/folder/backup the cPanel server writes to "share/" which is different from "/share/"

When I access the NAS via SSH and give the command: "ls share/" I see the backup, if I give the command "ls /share/" I see something else.

I have not been able to backup in a way that I can see through the File Station via the Web. Worst of all, Backup always corrupts the QNAP system and I need to do a complete QNAP reset.

I gave up using Rsync between cPanel > QNAP and I am testing doing it through CIFS mapping. For now I see a lot of advantage over FTP, which was very slow. 3MB/s with CPU QNAP in 100% in local network of 1Gbps. By CIFS I am able to reach 21MB/s with CPU QNAP in small load.

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”