459 Pro+ RTRR to 459 Pro + SYNC 40 HOURS to SYNC WHAT!!!

Discussion on remote replication.
imfsub12
Starting out

459 Pro+ RTRR to 459 Pro + SYNC 40 HOURS to SYNC WHAT!!!

Post by imfsub12 »

I just bought 2 459 PRO + qnap drive.

I first got them all working at my location - I BACKED up ALL OF MY 276 GIGs of my stuff to my second unit ( I Did this when i had them at my house on my network).. so i didn't have to back all that data up the first time over the Internet..

So now I got my 2nd UNIT at my parents house - I can connect to the RTRR fine..

But now they are trying to Synchronizing up and this is the info it get

Schedule Type: Real-time Folder Pairs: 1
Total File(s): 182987 Total Folder(s): 11211
Total File Size: 276.612 GB Average Transmit Speed: 1.917 MB
Elapsed Time: 00:22:46 Time Left: 40:09:04

IT will take OVER 40 HOURS just to SYNC up with the other UNIT.. OH MY GOSH.. Why is this going to take 40 hours..

They havn't even started to upload any of my newest DATA yet..

I know that i'm not on the fastest INternet connection but if i did this with another backup program that I bought it would be the same way..

But Why on earth will it take 40 hours to sync up.. What happens if the power goes off or I turn off my DRIVES. WIll it need to SYNC up each time for 40 hours then it will start to backup..
onlyalex
Experience counts

Re: 459 Pro+ RTRR to 459 Pro + SYNC 40 HOURS to SYNC WHAT!!!

Post by onlyalex »

Hi mate

Im dont know for sure the rtrr function but atleast rsync will let you do an onsite sync first then redo an incremental sync off site. You need to make sure you do use the incremental option.

Second the sync time is not alwys correct or atleast missleading. Sometimes it can almost stop at some value for x amount of time then later be done in min. So the time is missleading some times.

Cheers
Nas1: Qnap TS-809 Pro "3.7.1 Build 0615"
Nas2: Qnap TS-119 "3.5.0 Build0816"
Nas3: Qnap TS-119P+ "3.5.0 Build0816"
Nas4: Qnap TS-212 "3.6.0 Build0210"
Nas5: Qnap TS-259 Pro+"3.5.0 Build 0815"
Nas6: Qnap TS-459 Pro II "3.5.0 Build 0815"
iPad2: 64Gig 3G "iOS 6"
UPS: APC Back-UPS RS 550VA

QNAP Comparison Cart HERE | 1Bay | 2Bay | 4Bay | 5Bay | 6Bay | 8Bay | 1U | 2U |
QNAP Compatibility List HERE | Online User Manual | Tutorials | Frequently Asked Questions |
imfsub12
Starting out

Post by imfsub12 »

Ok thanks

I also find that when i turn off my server (shut it down at night to save power) then when it turns on it has to re-sync with the heck is this..

this then puts more bandwidth i have to use and then more TIME if something need to be actually uploaded to my server..
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Are using RTRR in real time mode? If so I find it only natural that it needs to resynch your data every time started.

If you use RTRR in scheduled mode I need to ask why you choose RTRR?

I have no experience of RTRR in scheduled mode because as far as I know rsync is superior in that scenario. RTRR would only be the fall back solution if rsync for some reason isn't possible. When having done the initial rsync the subsequent runs will only take a few minutes or less, plus of course the replication of any added files.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Aehm, is the Internet connection (specifically the uplink path from the source NAS...) capable to transfer this amount of data?

The technology used for the replication (RRTR, rsync, ...) does not really mater when the uplink are - as most home and SOHO Internet connections - simply sloooooooow.
imfsub12
Starting out

Post by imfsub12 »

P3R wrote:Are using RTRR in real time mode? If so I find it only natural that it needs to resynch your data every time started.

If you use RTRR in scheduled mode I need to ask why you choose RTRR?

I have no experience of RTRR in scheduled mode because as far as I know rsync is superior in that scenario. RTRR would only be the fall back solution if rsync for some reason isn't possible. When having done the initial rsync the subsequent runs will only take a few minutes or less, plus of course the replication of any added files.
I'm not really sure why i chose RTRR - should i have choosen RSYNC - there wasn't any good help on this - I asked in the forums and read and thats the one i went with..

Would i Get better service with the RSYNC??? what are the pro's and con's

What I need is a way for me to TURN the backup on at say 0:00 and turn it off at 08:00 so i can do work in the day if my internet is slow.

THanks for help
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

You didn't answer what mode you run RTRR In.

I won't be doing a deep down comparison of all the detailed differences between rsync and RTRR for you. I don't know everything and I neither have the time nor the interest to do the research now.

From my experience RTRR works well in real time mode with low data volumes over a reasonably fast connection when I have it constantly running. Real time mode is meant to be running and shouldn't normally be interrupted. I don't know and I frankly don't care how well RTRR works in scheduled mode as rsync does that very well for me.

From my experience rsync does an excellent job of synchronizing complete folders over low bandwidth connections. The first runs will take time with rsync but probably nothing like 40 hours if you've already done the initial bulk copy. Unless you have very much changed data or an extremely slow connection, a full nights transfer should take you very far. I use rsync for backups over a 2 MBbit/sec ADSL-connection and it have been working very well.

Both rsync and RTRR can be manually interrupted but you'll probably need to have the patience to wait for rsync to synchronize fully at least once.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”