NAS to NAS or RTRR

Discussion on remote replication.
P3R
Guru

Re: NAS to NAS or RTRR

Post by P3R »

Steerpike wrote:I have yet to explore the impact of 'check file contents' on the performance of the sync job. I am expecting it to render the sync unusable in my situation, as I only have ~5Mbps upload speed...
Most likely yes. Your application sounds like a perfect match for NAS to NAS, as that's based on rsync.
I agree that 'check contents' would have caught this corruption, but ironically it would have been caught even without it (I believe), since the corruption rendered the file smaller (I understand that, without 'check contents', it will rely on name/date/size).
Yes if smaller it should be caught. But I think that you said the you did run RTRR it and that it wasn't caught? Perhaps the file corruption happened later?
I can imagine some efficient checksum calculations though ...
You mean like NAS to NAS do? :wink:
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Steerpike
Starting out

Post by Steerpike »

P3R wrote:Your application sounds like a perfect match for NAS to NAS, as that's based on rsync.
I started out testing NAS-NAS, when both my NAS's were on the same LAN, but moved on to RTRR for various reasons - possibly in part because posters here suggested it was going away in the next release? Is it fair to say, even if NAS-NAS goes away, the more generic 'rsync' option will remain, and will perform not much differently from nas-nas?
P3R wrote: Yes if smaller it should be caught. But I think that you said the you did run RTRR it and that it wasn't caught? Perhaps the file corruption happened later?
No, sadly, I 'corrected' the problem immediately by re-copying from the source (laptop). That was a mistake from a troubleshooting perspective.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

Steerpike wrote: There is a check box in the RTRR job 'options' screen to enable detailed logs. On the RTRR screen, at the very top (not specific to any one job), click on the options button and then choose to enable detailed logs. I set that when I first started working with the QNAP so I can't say what a 'non-detailed' job log looks like, but with this checked, you get a log entry for every single file sync'd by the job. I also found the log file at /etc/logs/qsync/detail. Sadly it gets overwritten each time the job runs, so I have a script to rename it and move it to another location.

In my case, I was getting a lot more files sync'd than I expected but the log revealed it was due to the contents of @recycle being included; I've subsequently disabled that setting.
this one? yeah i had it enabled when i ran the rtrr tasks
rtrr p37.jpg

ooo it's at that location? Why didn't they tell me then where it was :[ i was looking through the whole UI and did not find it. Is that an oversight for not integrating the logs into the UI for quick access and browsing? Also i agree that deleting after each rtrr performed is not something i like either; maybe give us a choice to retain old rtrr detailed logs or not.

that aside, with "verify contents" doesn't seem it impacts performance if the destination is empty of any data to begin with :) cause i'm maxing out my transfer speed locally.
Last edited by Moogle Stiltzkin on Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Steerpike wrote:I started out testing NAS-NAS, when both my NAS's were on the same LAN, but moved on to RTRR...
Well RTRR is in most cases better on a LAN. Rsync is the undisputed champion on slow connections, like 5 Mbit/sec and below.
...for various reasons - possibly in part because posters here suggested it was going away in the next release?
If I understand things correctly all current backup options will be replaced by Hybrid Backup Sync in 4.3 but why worry about that now? Use what works best of the currently available options is my advice.
Is it fair to say, even if NAS-NAS goes away, the more generic 'rsync' option will remain, and will perform not much differently from nas-nas?
I'm sorry, the only Qnaps I currently have is in production and Hybrid Backup Sync is still only in beta so I haven't tried it.

I would however be very surprised and consider it a huge mistake by Qnap if there is no rsync-based option in Hybrid Backup Sync as there are still many slow internet connections in use. I have one remote location myself that's on a 4/1 Mbit/sec DSL-connection. I'm have hopes for fiber there as well but it's at least one year away.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 »

i would hope its a checksum hash check! :)
Tim

TS-853A(16GB): - 4.3.4.0483 - Static volume - Raid5 - 8 x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
Windows Server + StableBit Drivepool and Scanner ~115 TB Backup Server
TS-412 & TS-459 Pro II: Retired
Clients: 3 x Windows 10 Pro(64bit)
Steerpike
Starting out

Post by Steerpike »

Well I tried 'check file contents' on a test sync of a large structure with a few files deleted (one that completed in about 10 minutes without it) and ... after 2+ hours ... I gave up. So check file contents just doesn't cut it on a slow connection, for sure.

I'm now back to testing with Nas-to-Nas, trying to compare to RTRR over my slow WAN connection. But I can't find any log file anywhere; I'm looking in /etc/logs/rsync, /etc/logs/qsnapsync/brief, /etc/logs/qsnapsync/detail - all empty. There's even a button right there in the UI for the Nas to Nas job - Rsync log - but there's nothing 'there'.
NTNjob.jpg
Without being able to view the log, it's a lot harder to do the analysis.

Edit to add:
I ran the Nas to Nas job for the same set of files (deleted one directory of about 150 files, 124 MB, out of a much larger folder structure that remained otherwise unchanged) and it took 3 minutes with Nas to Nas, compared to 11 minutes with RTRR.

So that would suggest Nas to Nas definitely has the edge on slower connections.

Regarding logging for Nas to Nas - I found my notes from earlier; they say to add

Code: Select all

log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
max verbosity = 3
to /etc/config/rsyncd.conf , but doing so had no effect.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Steerpike on Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

found it where you said it was.

however looking at it, the filenames that popped up were things i'm 100% sure was already at destination, so they ought to have been skipped over.

Considering that during the process it mentions files skipped and files backed up, i'm assuming that it is possible to skip file files if it already existed at the destination. identical filename at the same pathing folders/sub folders would have sufficed even with verify contents disabled wouldn't it ? But now i'm not so sure :X

Side note wish they could integrate these logs into UI and add a button for download logs as txt or csv format. cauz i had to use winscp to browse to the location to find it :S
rtrr p38.jpg
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:Side note wish they could integrate these logs into UI and add a button for download logs as txt or csv format. cauz i had to use winscp to browse to the location to find it
If you mean like this it's there already:
RTRR_logs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Spider99 wrote:i would hope its a checksum hash check! :)
But to do the hash calculation on the remote data the NAS doing the backup needs to get the complete file... :wink:

Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 »

it should not have to as rtrr is a qnap protocol the remote nas should just send the hash for the other nas to check - minimal bandwidth :mrgreen:
Tim

TS-853A(16GB): - 4.3.4.0483 - Static volume - Raid5 - 8 x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
Windows Server + StableBit Drivepool and Scanner ~115 TB Backup Server
TS-412 & TS-459 Pro II: Retired
Clients: 3 x Windows 10 Pro(64bit)
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

P3R wrote:
Moogle Stiltzkin wrote:Side note wish they could integrate these logs into UI and add a button for download logs as txt or csv format. cauz i had to use winscp to browse to the location to find it
RTRR_logs.jpg
oops my bad, yep its the right log :ashamed:
NAS

Network

Resources
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Spider99 wrote:it should not have to as rtrr is a qnap protocol the remote nas should just send the hash for the other nas to check - minimal bandwidth :mrgreen:
RTRR is only one of the transport protocols supported. There's also Ftp and CIFS/SMB so it's obviously meant to work with general non-Qnap servers as well.

What you want is already available, it's called Rsync (and NAS to NAS when both sides are Qnap).

Steerpike
Starting out

Post by Steerpike »

P3R wrote:
RTRR_logs.jpg
That button to download the log, for RTRR, is great, but it can only access the latest log. So if you run RTRR every hour, and a major change happened 4 hours ago, you have no visibility into that. I've somewhat addressed that with this script I've concocted;

Code: Select all

cp -u -v /etc/logs/qsync/detail/qsync-Job0{.log,-AZ-"$(date -r /etc/logs/qsync/detail/qsync-Job0.log +%Y%m%d-%H%M%S)".log}

it copies the qsync-Job0.log to qsync-Job0-AZ-(YYMMDD-HHMMSS).log, thus keeping a copy even when qsync-Job0 gets overwritten. I currently have it run from the crontab, on the same schedule as my RTRR job, but that's problematic. I would prefer to add it to the actual SH script file that runs the RTRR job itself, if possible, so I can be sure to run it only when the job has completed.

So does anyone have any insight into the log location for the Nas-to-Nas (NTN) job? Clearly, for my situation, NTN is 3x faster so I want to pursue it but I really want to be able to review logs if I'm going to commit to it as my production solution. I posted above about the entry "log file = (path/logname)" in the /etc/config/rsyncd.conf file, but that didn't seem to help.
Steerpike
Starting out

Post by Steerpike »

Oh my - just made an important discovery / observation during my testing. Both the Nas To Nas (NTN, using rsync) and RTRR sync processes will OVERWRITE newer files at the destination, and there doesn't seem to be a switch to modify this behavior.

I have two locations - CA and AZ. in CA, I updated file 'x'. last modified date went from 12/5 to 12/10 as expected. I then ran NTN sync from AZ to CA, and found that the file 'x' was reset back to it's 12/5 state. I then re-edited the file x, thus resetting last modified date to 12/10, and ran the RTRR sync from AZ to CA, and exactly the same behavior was observed.

In the 'filter' section for both job types there is no setting for 'copy only newer versions ...'. It seems like such an obvious option. Oh well.

I then setup a two-way RTRR sync, same folder pair, and found that that does behave more as expected - newer files get copied in either direction. but I also discovered that two-way RTRR has no 'real time' option; you just have to schedule it. and hourly seems to be the most frequent.
Last edited by Steerpike on Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Steerpike wrote:Oh my - just made an important discovery / observation during my testing. Both the Nas To Nas (NTN, using rsync) and RTRR sync processes will OVERWRITE newer files at the destination, and there doesn't seem to be a switch to modify this behavior.
Yes they are both one-way replications unless you use RTRR in 2-way Synchronization mode.

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”