NAS to NAS or RTRR

Discussion on remote replication.
Elvar
New here

NAS to NAS or RTRR

Post by Elvar »

Hello, I have two TS-EC1679U-RP's at different sites. One is housing 100+ gigs of archived email stored in Maildir format. The other unit is being used to back up data from the first unit. My question is, what is the difference between NAS to NAS replication vs. RTRR? Do they use different protocols? Is one better than the other for syncing Maildir data? Is it better to use NAS to NAS when using two QNAP devices? I can't seem to find any documentation stating what scenarios are better for which replication method. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Elvar
pwilson
Guru

Re: NAS to NAS or RTRR

Post by pwilson »

Elvar wrote:Hello, I have two TS-EC1679U-RP's at different sites. One is housing 100+ gigs of archived email stored in Maildir format. The other unit is being used to back up data from the first unit. My question is, what is the difference between NAS to NAS replication vs. RTRR? Do they use different protocols? Is one better than the other for syncing Maildir data? Is it better to use NAS to NAS when using two QNAP devices? I can't seem to find any documentation stating what scenarios are better for which replication method. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Elvar
Both methods use "RTRR". The NAS-to-NAS option is simply optimized from doing so between two "QNAP" NAS devices.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
Elvar
New here

Post by Elvar »

pwilson wrote: Both methods use "RTRR". The NAS-to-NAS option is simply optimized from doing so between two "QNAP" NAS devices.
So in our case where both devices are QNAP devices, I assume I should switch to the NAS to NAS option for optimization purposes?

Thanks for the reply!
xavierh
Experience counts

Post by xavierh »

Elvar wrote:
pwilson wrote: Both methods use "RTRR". The NAS-to-NAS option is simply optimized from doing so between two "QNAP" NAS devices.
So in our case where both devices are QNAP devices, I assume I should switch to the NAS to NAS option for optimization purposes?

Thanks for the reply!
keep in mind that for NAS-to_NAS to work your all your files must be inside [directory_1] in NAS_A so that it can be replicated to [directory_1] in NAS_B. in other words, let say you have a directory called media and inside that directory you have several directories (movies, pictures, music) then NAS-to-NAS will work as you will only have to sent the job using the "media" directory on NAS_A to replicate to media directory in NAS_B.

if on the other hand you have separate directories. then you will either have to set separate jobs for each one, or then use RRTR and set one job with up to 5 folder pairs

so in summary
NAS-to-NAS: one folder pair per job
RRTR: up to to 5 folder pairs per job

QNAP TVS-951xQTS 5.0.0.1986 build 20220324 OS Storage Pool: Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD x 4 (RAID 5), Data Storage Pool: WD WD30EFRX (Red) 3TB x 4 (RAID 5), 16GB RAM WD Easystore 10TB External USB 3.0 Services: SMB, Appletalk, QPKG: Container Station, HBS 3
QNAP TS-453AQTS 5.0.0.1986 build 20220324 Services: SMB, HBS 3
Network: UDM, UDM Beacon, Unifi 8 Port Switch x 3, Flex Mini Switch, In Wall AP
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

xavierh wrote:keep in mind that for NAS-to_NAS to work your all your files must be inside [directory_1] in NAS_A so that it can be replicated to [directory_1] in NAS_B.
It doesn't have to be the same shared folder (or any other folder) on the source and destination.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

pwilson wrote:Both methods use "RTRR".
No that is not correct!

NAS to NAS uses rsync (port 873 by default) and RTRR uses the rtrr (port 8899 by default) or the ftp protocol (port 20/21 by default). RTRR over ftp have some functional limitations compared to rtrr.

NAS to NAS should really be read QNAP to QNAP as that is the intention of it. The Rsync tab should be used with any non-Qnap rsync server as destination.

NAS to NAS works block based while RTRR works on full file level only.

In my experience rsync is almost always preferable; it is available on all major operating systems, it is very lean over slow connections, it doesn't necessarily need to synchronize complete files when something have changed.

The only time I would prefer RTRR would be if (near) real time remote replication or ftp protocol is a requirement. YMMV and one or the other could be better in specific applications. I have no experience with "100+ gigs of archived email stored in Maildir format". The largest replicated file structures I regularly (every night) use rsync on are:
  • 451.98 GB with 41427 files in it
  • 185 GB with 74356 files in it
  • 82.2 GB with 80847 files in it
  • 7.53 GB with 107538 files in it
Last edited by P3R on Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

P3R wrote: The only time I would prefer RTRR would be if (near) real time remote replication or ftp protocol is a requirement. YMMV and one or the other could be better in specific applications. I have no experience with "100+ gigs of archived email stored in Maildir format".
Well, 100+ gigs of maildirs is probably tens and tens of millions of small files and a sure recipe for disaster with rsync. Doubt it's ever gonna finish the initial sync.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
reinob

Post by reinob »

doktornotor wrote:
P3R wrote: The only time I would prefer RTRR would be if (near) real time remote replication or ftp protocol is a requirement. YMMV and one or the other could be better in specific applications. I have no experience with "100+ gigs of archived email stored in Maildir format".
Well, 100+ gigs of maildirs is probably tens and tens of millions of small files and a sure recipe for disaster with rsync. Doubt it's ever gonna finish the initial sync.
I'd do the initial sync by hand, packing/piping everything with tar.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

reinob wrote:I'd do the initial sync by hand, packing/piping everything with tar.
Yeah, some pre-seeding would be definitely required.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
xavierh
Experience counts

Post by xavierh »

P3R wrote:
xavierh wrote:keep in mind that for NAS-to_NAS to work your all your files must be inside [directory_1] in NAS_A so that it can be replicated to [directory_1] in NAS_B.
It doesn't have to be the same shared folder (or any other folder) on the source and destination.
you are right P3R it doe snot have to be the same folder. i just did not want to confuse things further...

QNAP TVS-951xQTS 5.0.0.1986 build 20220324 OS Storage Pool: Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD x 4 (RAID 5), Data Storage Pool: WD WD30EFRX (Red) 3TB x 4 (RAID 5), 16GB RAM WD Easystore 10TB External USB 3.0 Services: SMB, Appletalk, QPKG: Container Station, HBS 3
QNAP TS-453AQTS 5.0.0.1986 build 20220324 Services: SMB, HBS 3
Network: UDM, UDM Beacon, Unifi 8 Port Switch x 3, Flex Mini Switch, In Wall AP
kherr4377
Been there, done that

Post by kherr4377 »

I get half the speed with NAS/NAS compared to RTRR/FTP. I backup every day and sometimes that means 200GB+ in new/changed files. With N/N I get 45~MB and with RTRR I get 95~MB. It's a no brainer ...... This is backing up one TS-469L to another.
Production :
TVS-673 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED : 1 X 4TB HGST DESKSTAR R5
32GB
LAN-10G1SR-D, FiberHal for Cisco SFP-10G-SR
NETGEAR ProSAFE SS3300-28X

Backup :
TS-469L 4.3.4 0387
4 X 3TB WD RED R5
3GB
Located detached garage .. cheap offsite solution ...

2nd TS-469L awaiting drives and reassignment for front-line duty .......
Elvar
New here

Post by Elvar »

P3R wrote:
pwilson wrote:Both methods use "RTRR".
No that is not correct!

NAS to NAS works block based while RTRR works on full file level only.

[*]7.53 GB with 107538 files in it[/list]

This is good to know and what I was hoping was the case. Thanks!
Elvar
New here

Post by Elvar »

doktornotor wrote:

It ended up taking about 2-3 days via 50mbit uplinks. Unfortunately I had to change RTRR to scheduled RTRR in order to make use of file deletions due to the nature of Maildir changing the locations of files from ./new to ./cur etc.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Elvar wrote:Unfortunately I had to change RTRR to scheduled RTRR in order to make use of file deletions due to the nature of Maildir changing the locations of files from ./new to ./cur etc.
If you by this mean that you had to change from real time RTRR because of this then you'd probably wan't to know that real time RTRR does replicate file deletions also. It's only not shown correctly in the admin gui.

JohnJoe123
Starting out

Post by JohnJoe123 »

I need some help on
"NAS to NAS works block based while RTRR works on full file level only."
Could someone explain the significance of this statement to me? Does it have a large impact on the amount of data exchanged?
I have two TS-653Pro's and doing initial setup. I am trying to understand options to limit data traffic and if remote replication over the internet is going to work. I have only a DSL connection (2MB up, 10MBS down) to work with. Have numerous 1 gig email files (*.pst format) that have a date change every time you open them up, even if you change nothing.

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”