NAS to NAS or RTRR

Discussion on remote replication.
P3R
Guru

Re: NAS to NAS or RTRR

Post by P3R »

markopas wrote:I currently have a two Cat6a network cables the unit came with plugged in to the 10GbE ports and then directly plugged in to the back of my cable modem/router...
There are exceptions and would depend on specific use and settings but normally you shouldn't have multiple network connections into the same ip network. So unless you know that you're one of the exceptions, I would disconnect the cable that doesn't hold the default gateway.
Is it possible that this is the limitation of array from the D-Link?
Yes.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas- ... ed?start=4
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 »

Hi

Welcome

The test function is very unreliable (only takes a second or so to run) an i would not believe the speeds it comes up with. even the pass or fail is usually a lie

The speeds you get when doing a backup/restore depend very much on the files sizes and the power of the device(s) - in your case the D-Link is probably very under powered compared to the 682.

Do a test with a single large (multi GB file) from the d-link to the nas and reverse - what speeds do you get outside rtrr - also monitor the cpu load on both nas while you do this?

Make sure the 682 does the work and pulls the data from the D-Link as this will be the fastest way of doing it so the D-Link only supplies files and nothing else

Also get yourself a switch (even a 1G) as the switches inside routers can be very low quality and might be reducing some of your through put
Tim

TS-853A(16GB): - 4.3.4.0483 - Static volume - Raid5 - 8 x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
Windows Server + StableBit Drivepool and Scanner ~115 TB Backup Server
TS-412 & TS-459 Pro II: Retired
Clients: 3 x Windows 10 Pro(64bit)
markopas
New here

Post by markopas »

Spider99 wrote:Hi
Welcome
Spider99 wrote:Hi
The test function is very unreliable (only takes a second or so to run) an i would not believe the speeds it comes up with. even the pass or fail is usually a lie

The speeds you get when doing a backup/restore depend very much on the files sizes and the power of the device(s) - in your case the D-Link is probably very under powered compared to the 682.
I can definitely guarantee that the D-Link is very underpowered. It was my first unit for a home use, if I knew now what I knew then - I wouldn't have purchased it and looked at something else 5-6yrs ago.
Spider99 wrote: Do a test with a single large (multi GB file) from the d-link to the nas and reverse - what speeds do you get outside rtrr - also monitor the cpu load on both nas while you do this?
I can't monitor the hardware on the D-Link which really ** because that would tell me where the fault lies. I was not able to pull any data from the 682 to the D-Link, that's how useless this NAS is, very bare bones and basic.
Spider99 wrote: Make sure the 682 does the work and pulls the data from the D-Link as this will be the fastest way of doing it so the D-Link only supplies files and nothing else

Also get yourself a switch (even a 1G) as the switches inside routers can be very low quality and might be reducing some of your through put
Right now I am in the middle of getting a trial firmware installed on my cable modem so I can put it into Bridge mode so I can use my brand spanking new D-Link 895L which I know has a decent switch capabilities but has been sitting as a doorstep until my ISP has rectified the issue of it not handing out IP's to D-Link and TP-Link networking devices.
yukonrob
New here

Post by yukonrob »

When I ssh into the qnap and run qcli_storage at [~] # I get qcli_storage: command not found
Where do I find this command?
1 x TS-459U+ ; 3 x TS-419P+
Spider99
Experience counts

Post by Spider99 »

wrong type of nas - if its a 419 its old and a cat1 nas

qcli etc only on newer cat2 nas

we were talking about a new nas
Tim

TS-853A(16GB): - 4.3.4.0483 - Static volume - Raid5 - 8 x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
Windows Server + StableBit Drivepool and Scanner ~115 TB Backup Server
TS-412 & TS-459 Pro II: Retired
Clients: 3 x Windows 10 Pro(64bit)
yukonrob
New here

Post by yukonrob »

Thanks, it is old. I have updated my profile to include my hardware.
1 x TS-459U+ ; 3 x TS-419P+
nssimpson
Getting the hang of things

Post by nssimpson »

Hi, we already have a TS-212P and have now also bought a TS-231P.

The TS-231P will be put in our main office with the TS-212P being moved in my home office. I occasionally work from home so need two-way sync. Only small files are being used.

Both NAS are currently on the same office network while it does the initial sync. I've set up RTRR on the TS-212P and instructed it to two-way sync files to the TS-231P.

My question is whether I should run the Hybrid Sync server on the TS-212P or the TS-231P in the long-term. The TS-231P has more processing power than the TS-212P but I assume both NAS have to work out what files need syncing regardless of which one is the RTRR server.

I just need to know whether just having the RTRR_Daemon running on the TS-212P will be less taxing than running the actual RTRR server on it.

Hope I'm making sense. Any ideas?

Thanks

Nick
nssimpson

Post by nssimpson »

Sorry to ask another question but can I have real-time two-way syncing between two QNAP's?

In 4.3.3 when I use Hybrid Backup Sync and select two-way and remote server I can set this up and it works. However, it wants a schedule for when to run the sync (defaults to 2am).

My expectation is that both NAS's will be an exact copy. When someone tries to open a file on one NAS it'll check with the other NAS to make sure write access hasn't been blocked before allowing it to be opened/modified. If not, it opens and both NAS's will know the file is in use. Once it's finished being accessed it will sync with the other NAS and then free the file up.

Is that not how it works?
nssimpson

Post by nssimpson »

I really need some help from any kind soul that can clarify. :)
nssimpson

Post by nssimpson »

Ah, sorry this thread is so big now that half the info gets lost. So I see that with 2-way sync the most frequent update can be set to 5 minutes. I don't understand why they can't just do it in real-time like with one-way sync. Another know why?

Also read that the QNAPs don't consider which file is newer so it could end up overriding with the older file. Really? Surely not.

It sounds to me like QNAP has a big gap in it's sync functionality that could do with filling. I now don't know what to do for the best.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

nssimpson wrote:Ah, sorry this thread is so big now that half the info gets lost. So I see that with 2-way sync the most frequent update can be set to 5 minutes. I don't understand why they can't just do it in real-time like with one-way sync. Another know why?
Because if you don't ignore, but want to handle, the situations where both sides are writing to the same file concurrently at the exact same time, 2-way-sync is extremely complicated.
Having read your requirements I'm not sure

Also read that the QNAPs don't consider which file is newer so it could end up overriding with the older file. Really? Surely not.

It sounds to me like QNAP has a big gap in it's sync functionality that could do with filling. I now don't know what to do for the best.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
mike@mavnetllc.com
First post

Post by mike@mavnetllc.com »

Hello,

Some advice.

I have 2 QNAP TS-563. 10TB and the other is 14TB.

The 10TB I'm attempting to sync to the 14TB. The initial Sync will be done over a GB LAN. Then the changes will be done over a 100mbp/s WAN

The types of files range from large 40GB files, which are less than 100 and only change weekly, and then millions of 20k TIFF files.

Which option of backup/sync would ya'll recommend? NAS to NAS or RTRR?

I'm testing for speeds.

Thanks!

Mike D
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

mike@mavnetllc.com wrote:Which option of backup/sync would ya'll recommend? NAS to NAS or RTRR?
NAS to NAS for initial sync.

As for the syncing over WAN I'm not sure, I would try them both and see which performs best with your data.

jimnycricket65
New here

Post by jimnycricket65 »

I am getting an error that there are too many subfolders and got a failed message...it is on standby now...how do I get around the too many subfolders error?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

jimnycricket65 wrote:I am getting an error that there are too many subfolders and got a failed message...it is on standby now...how do I get around the too many subfolders error?
Reorganize your data using less subfolders or divide the backup up in multiple smaller jobs.

Return to “Remote Replication/ Disaster Recovery”