Amazon Cloud Drive

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
schumaku
Guru

Re: Amazon Cloud Drive

Post by schumaku »

devnull1234 wrote:currently I'm testing the add-on "Connect to Cloud Drive" for the "File Station".
Connect to cloud drive is exactly made for what is available: To access the cloud services from File Station. EoL.
devnull1234 wrote:How can I make it accessibal over a SMB share?
No: None of these cloud services are supporting the required locking, granular access rights, ... so there are good reasons why this is not a clickable "solution". The user file system does permit basic file operations - create, rename, remove folders, write a file and read a file.

All these client software you can install say on Windows or macOS to access folders and files "like local" are doing an ad-hoc sync, and keeping local copies of the folders and file from the cloud (some when designated) to the local computer permitting off-line access, For similar reasons as above, these clients don't allow to keep data on network shared folders again, too. SImilar ad-hoc sync software does not exist on the NAS. You might consider the full sync approach (either direction, or bidirectional) using ie. QNAP's Hybrid Backup Sync.

Welcome to the QNAP NAS Community Forum, Markus!
devnull1234
New here

Post by devnull1234 »

Here are the results of some more of my tests.

Remember the Amazon Drive is mounted on the qnap-box:
CloudDrive on /mnt/rf/cd type fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions)

As user "admin" I can work with a ssh shell on the qnap box within the mounted directory, e.g. in:
/mnt/rf/cd/0/1234567890123456789012345678901234567890/Documents

I can create files and folders and all are visible and useable over the Amazon web-interface https://www.amazon.de/clouddrive/...

Then I connected the SMB share "Cloud" with user "admin" on a Windows PC as drive "n:" via command line (cmd.exe):
net use n: \\<mynas>\Cloud /user:admin <mypassword>

After that I can access the Folder "AmazonDrive" (remember this is a sym-link to the mounted directory /mnt/rf/cd/0/1234567890123456789012345678901234567890) within the SMB share.
I can create files and folders and all are visible and useable again over the Amazon web-interface https://www.amazon.de/clouddrive/...

Obviously the mount type "fuse" on the QNAP box does the trick.

There is no problem with the "data transfer" between the Amazon Cloud Drive API and the file-system layer of the qnap-box.

Only the the mount permissions restricted to the user admin on the qnap-box is the problem for a successful acces over SMB with users other than "admin".

For single file operations as described above (create files, filders and delete them) there are no problems.

But if I copy some files within one copy-operation from the windows pc to the Amazon Cloud over this smb-share then there are some "timing problems".
The Windows file explorer shows for example alerts that the file already exists or the target folder is missing. After a retry then it works.
It seems that there is a "timing problem" if files are handled "parallel". It seems thats important for the driver on the qnap-box that all file operations are sequential "file by file".

My intermediate result: basically it can work but not flawless as expected for file operations challenging more than "one by one"
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

devnull1234 wrote:There is no problem with the "data transfer" between the Amazon Cloud Drive API and the file-system layer of the qnap-box.
As you experienced, there _are_ more problems. You had been warned...
devnull1234
New here

Post by devnull1234 »

Now I have done some tests only with the QNAP app "Hybrid Backup Sync".

I have a bunch of 1000 test files with a volume of about 1 GB and about 100 directories.

If the setting "concurrent processing files" in the options is set to more than 1 then the system logs show me a lot of failures during the synchronisation of this type:
"... cannot synchronize file ... because the target path does not exist. Please check if the target folder is deleted during transmission."

If the setting is "1" then there are no problems during the synchronisation but the utilization of my possible upload rate (100 MBit down, 10 MBit up) ist not used very well.

If the setting is for example 5 then the upload rate is good used but the synchronisation stops with to many errors. Even a setting of 2 concurrent processed files generates errors.

My conclusion at the moment: It seems that the API from Amazon Cloud Drive is only usable for sequential operations. No concurrency is possible or needs a advanced strategy to solve errors with e.g. intelligent retries with the knowledge about the file dependencies (files and needed folders for the files). Thats the reason why the SMB solution can't work. Even the QNAP app "Hybrid Backup Sync" is only a very simple solution that needs in future some improvements to reach a good data transfer rate. At the moment it's not possible (or only with large files).
efaden
Getting the hang of things

Post by efaden »

Having this problem myself with concurrent files.... Any fixes?
buddyshome
First post

Post by buddyshome »

I contacted Qnap support. Ticket has been pending for a few weeks.
BerDan
New here

Post by BerDan »

Is there no news on this theme? I used QTS 4.3. beta with HBS whcih worked very well. But since updating to offical 4.3. it is not workin anymore. Anyone who got amazon drive working as a backup device in QTS 4.3?
browellm
Know my way around

Post by browellm »

No, I get failures on my backup jobs and the concurrency problem still exists.
TS-451
jgswinkels
New here

Post by jgswinkels »

Yes, I am also interested in this feature -> At this moment I use SyncBackPro V8.3.16.0 of 2BrightSparks Ltd to Backup into AmazoneDrive.
Disadvantage -> You need a running desktop for a backup -> It would be nice do backup 1:1 from NAS.

Cheers,
Jan
violab
First post

Post by violab »

Hi !
I would also like a app that can make use of the unlimited photo uploads that prime membership bestows, possibly get the unlimited data later. The files size limited for the unlimited plan is 4GB, this may cause issues for generic backup of large files for people. It would be nice if the app could seamlessly split large files or ideally multipart zip/rar them.

Return to “Features Wanted”