Mlocate instead of Qsirch

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
ewster
First post
Model: TS-809 Pro

Mlocate instead of Qsirch

Postby ewster » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:33 pm

Qsirch was a huge disappointment for me. Took days to build an index. Then a version update happened and suddenly it wanted to rebuild the entire index again.

Instead of that, I ran mlocate on another linux box with 20TB of data dropped under it with NFS. Took about an hour to build that index that Qsirch struggled with over two days. And I can grep the output and do useful things with it, instead of being locked into a GUI.

Please QNAP, just let us geeks have mlocate on the QNAP box so the CLI can be fully functional once more.

schumaku
Guru
Model: TS-x79U

Re: Mlocate instead of Qsirch

Postby schumaku » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:08 am

Several requests for making mlocate available already - no need for yet another request.

But sorry, comparing mlocate with Qsirch is a joke. Qsirch does index almost anything, full text, many formats, file tags, ... mlocate does index a tree of folders and file names only.

Moogle Stiltzkin
Experience counts
Model: TS-253A/453A/653A/853A

Re: Mlocate instead of Qsirch

Postby Moogle Stiltzkin » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:30 pm

in qsirch some of the contained info can also be excluded, if you want to take the time to adjust the settings. you can also set to exclude certain areas from being added into qsirch results.

not familiar with mlocate, but if i were to make a comparison to an alternative, i would say treesize which i tested does work with qnap. has way more advance stuff you can do. But for my own purposes i found that qsirch suffices.

http://www.jam-software.de/treesize_free/?language=EN
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-653A w. 4x HGST Deskstar NAS (HDN724040ALE640) EXT4 Raid5
[Backup] QNAP TS-659 Pro w. 5x 2TB Samsung EcoGreen F3 (HD203WI) EXT4 Raid5
[Backup] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB Western Digital RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[Backup] QNAP TS-128 w. 4x 1TB Western Digital RE3 (WD1002FBYS)

Other Network Devices
Asus AC68U AC1900 wireless class Router (RT Merlin firmware)|30mbps download/5mbps upload FTTH Internet | Windows 10 Enterprise, Water Cooled PC with Intel i7 920 Ivy bridge desktop (1x 512gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD + 1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Guides and useful articles posted by me
Moogle's QNAP experience
[Showcase] Compilation of QNAP videos showcasing features of QTS 4.2 and hardware capabilities
[Guide] Crashplan unlimited storage for NAS backup online

Return to “Features Wanted”