IP info from System Connection Logs

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
sandheep
New here

IP info from System Connection Logs

Post by sandheep »

Dear Devs--

I'd love to see IP info in the System Connection Logs (i.e. an option to right click an entry and have it pull up IP data from a user-specified 3rd party site, e.g. https://ipinfo.io/)--or at least the ability to easily copy IP addresses from the logs (also with a right click). I don't know about the rest of you, but my system connection logs are full of failed login attempts--the majority of which are from IP addresses in Russia.

Additionally, it would be great to have separate black/white lists--instead of a single list that is either a blacklist or whitelist. And even better yet, it would be great to have the black/white list dynamically populate from a master database of IP's by country--so that you could whitelist your country and/or blacklist others.

(yes, i've disabled the admin account, disabled SSH, etc). Just makes me nervous seeing so many attempts.

Thanks!
Sandheep
Don
Guru

Re: IP info from System Connection Logs

Post by Don »

QNAP does not frequent these forums. If you want to suggest a feature then you need to open a ticket with them.

Sounds like you have the admin port open to the internet. Why is your QNAP open to the internet?
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
sandheep
New here

Post by sandheep »

Thanks--submitted a ticket.

I've got the admin port open because I have 3 NAS's at 3 locations--keeping the FW, etc current while onsite is not an option for me.
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Then use VPN. As long as that port is open someone somewhere will attempt to login.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
sandheep
New here

Post by sandheep »

Don--

It's been about a decade and a half since I've used a VPN--can you point me to a good reference for configuring a VPN for my particular situation:
  • I have 3 QNAP NAS's in 3 different locations. The NAS's rsync with each other nightly, and I'd like to be able to administer the NAS's from any of my computers/smartphone from any location (e.g. local LAN, remote LAN, outside of any of my LANs).
  • I have decent connections speeds at 2 locations, and a very fast connection (1gbps up/down) at the 3rd location
  • I have computers at the 3 locations that I'd like to Remote Desktop Connect to. Additionally, I'd like to be able to remote admin the 3 different routers if possible.
  • I'd like to safely get online while on a open wifi network
I know that VPN's can be a solution for most, if not all, of these situations individually, but I'm not sure what type/configuration would be best to address my situation altogether.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Sandheep
sandheep
New here

Post by sandheep »

Also--none of my routers are capable of VPN client support (at least with the stock FW), but I'm willing to purchase new routers if necessary (what do you think about the Asus RT-AC68U?).
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Sounds like you have more than just the management port open. You might want to consider routers that will allow site to site VPN. If you set up site to site between all your sites then no ports will need to be open to the internet. You can also VPN into one of the routers and have access to your entire network.

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I had a RT-AC68U before ..VPN works fine ..but is not the fastest..I upgraded to a much faster RT-AC86U

Return to “Features Wanted”