Virtualisation Station - Storage Migration

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
uknewt
New here

Virtualisation Station - Storage Migration

Post by uknewt » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:50 am

Storage migration is a feature that VMware vSphere supports for moving virtual disks from one NFS datastore to another.
I have recently tried to move a virtual server that uses three IMG disks in Virtualisation Station 3.
This resulted in problems with UUID folders, virtual disks and snapshots.
I had to remove the disks and re-add them.
Using File Station and Text Editor from the QTS admin interface, I had to manually edit the hidden xml file for the virtual server, so I could reference the old snapshots and commit the delta to the original disk.
This was awkward and not obvious as the xml file is in a hidden folder.
The VMware equivalent is the .vmx file, which I am familiar with, so I was able to work out what to edit in the QNAP .xml file.
There were no articles on this, which I was surprised about.
A basic web based GUI function for Virtualisation Station to allow disk relocation would be useful.
It wouldn't need to be live-migration (whilst virtual server is powered on), as even cold (powered-off) disk migration would be a very welcomed feature.
Reasons for wanting this is to move virtual disks between faster SSD Storage Pools and slower HDD Storage pools.
I have some production vServers and some developmental vServers, so sometimes want the flexibility to move IMG disks into the appropriate NAS volume.

Thanks

dolbyman
Guru

Re: Virtualisation Station - Storage Migration

Post by dolbyman » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:00 am

good idea .. but to get it heard open a ticket .. QNAP does not read these

uknewt
New here

Re: Virtualisation Station - Storage Migration

Post by uknewt » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:56 am

Submitted a ticket, I'll update with any responses...

Return to “Features Wanted”