Better Snapshots

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
miren3k
New here

Better Snapshots

Post by miren3k »

How can apple make "time machine" so seamless and user friendly, and you guys can't implement some basic protocols to do the same?

I'm speaking of the fact that snapshots completely clogs up and ends any file transfers that cause it to reach it's limit. YES I've watched the entire 40 minute youtube video presentation addressing this issue - and NO partitioning to create thin volumes is not a solution, are you kidding me?

I work in creative sector, I deal with big video files and projects, I don't want to run into issues with corrupted transfers every time I want to move 100gb or more across to my NAS.

Also, if the snapshot space has run out, you have smart space management right? Well why is it not smart? In that scenario where I'm moving files, if it still wants to duplicate everything, why is it not removing things as well as it fills up, rather than stopping the transfer and corrupting files.

SOLUTION:

The point of snapshot is to record changes to files right? and this runs smoothly on thin volumes right? and from what I know so far, (correct me if I'm wrong) but the only problem is that: snapshot seems to duplicate anything that is transferred onto a thick volume (rather than wait for changes) right?

Why on earth is there no code implemented to just say "when transferring new files onto a thick volume, DON'T DUPLICATE TO SNAPSHOT"

I've stupidly turned snap shots on (not knowing this insane flaw) before transferred Terrabytes worth of data to it, there is no clear way to turn this god dam thing off, I've had to convert the entire volume into a thin one just to move my files on here without it failing every 2 seconds. This is nonsense. Please tell me I'm not the only one that thinks this is bonkers no?

Does everyone only use thin volumes for everything? Is this normal for everyone? What's everyones user experience like as a standard consumer?

We are all clear that this is a flaw/bug right? or is this a purposely built design, if so, for what purpose? Enlighten me seriously then I'll be able to settle down
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Better Snapshots

Post by dolbyman »

"You guys?" Who are you talking to ?

QNAP does not come here. so you are adressing this rant solely at the forum user base.

If you have ideas on how to change any QNAP OS part..open a ticket
miren3k
New here

Post by miren3k »

Oh, I didn't realise qnap doesn't come here.. slightly mislead by "Features Wanted"
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Yep .. a remnant of when QNAP actually came here and participated, a decade ago.

But due to the lack of an administrator (only community mods) this cannot be closed or removed.
miren2k
Starting out

Post by miren2k »

No wonder it took about a week for them to give me a new password to my account....

I set up miren3k to post that, coincidentally I got emailed a couple hours later to get back into this account "miren2k"
:evil: Forever enraged.

Return to “Features Wanted”