QSW-M2116P-2T2S - 2.5gbps/10gbps 16 Port Switch

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
unisoft
First post

QSW-M2116P-2T2S - 2.5gbps/10gbps 16 Port Switch

Post by unisoft »

Hello,

Loving my new QSW-M2116P-2T2S switch because of the many 2.5gbps ports and 2x10gbps RJ45 Ethernet ports and 2xSFP 10gbps ports.

BUT there hasn't been a firmware update since release of this switch, since July 2021, not even for security reasons!!!
Given this is a serious switch not a typical cheap consumer unit, I find some lacking features compared to my previous cheap Netgear Gigabit Switch.

Missing Features:

1. Ability to disable or slow the inbuilt fans down. The switch is in a cool room and the noise is annoying in a home office scenario. If POE is not used, then owner shoud be able to disable fans or slow them right down or only have one working at minimum speed.
2. Ability to label devices on ports so you can see what is connected to each port in the switch management GUI.
3. A setting in the GUI to set the size of the log and how long to keep before overwriting the log.
4. No backup and restore ability in the management GUI - required to backup and restore settings of the switch
5. Ability to enable/disable DDos prevention.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: QSW-M2116P-2T2S - 2.5gbps/10gbps 16 Port Switch

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

i do use some managed switches (non QNAP). i did update the firmware every now and then, and in the changelog it's usually some bug or security issue.

i count at least 5 firmware updates :' (to be fair my switch has probably been released much earlier/longer though in comparison, to explain why there is more firmware updates)
Firmware Version 1.0.0.10
Firmware Version 1.0.0.8
Firmware Version 1.0.0.7
Firmware Version 1.0.0.6
Firmware Version 1.0.0.5
and in one of the changelogs there was at least 1 security fix mentioned for the firmware update *i didn't check the other changelogs, just one.
Security Fixes:

Fixes security vulnerabilities.

For more information about security vulnerabilities, visit https://www.netgear.com/about/security.
My point is, this should be the standard practise you would expect for managed switches :D

But you are saying you got no updates whatsoever?

Managed switch ya? (unmanaged switches don't get firmware updates).

try seek some answers from helpdesk (hopefully they escalate to the higher ups so they can improve the product or the next released one. they won't know unless users provide feedback) and post here what they said as to why no updates since now.

Is there really nothing needing to be patched Image ?

1. Ability to disable or slow the inbuilt fans down. The switch is in a cool room and the noise is annoying in a home office scenario. If POE is not used, then owner shoud be able to disable fans or slow them right down or only have one working at minimum speed.
my switch is poe and has a fan, but there is no setting in UI to adjust or disable fan either (and it's not a qnap switch). Is there some other brand that does what you suggested? Not saying it's a bad idea, but i'm not aware of any that do this afaik :'

4. No backup and restore ability in the management GUI - required to backup and restore settings of the switch
this is a CRITICAL must have feature. my switch is able to save the config and restore. i'm very surprised yours doesn't :shock: did you check your ui properly? u sure it's not there?
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QSW-M2116P-2T2S - 2.5gbps/10gbps 16 Port Switch

Post by dolbyman »

And as so often..nobody reads the sticky

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=161411

> closed

Return to “Features Wanted”